Resort Monorail - Why does it stop at the TTC?

Brett Wyman

Legacy Guest
Ok I get that every guest should have access to all the Monorails. Im not looking for a "paying resort guests only" Monorail. But why does the Resort Monorail stop at the TTC when that is literally the point of the MK monorail, to take people from MK to the TTC. I saw and heard many day guests make use of the resort line to get to the TTC to avoid the long waits for the MK express at bust times. Any addition the extra stop at the TTC is unneeded for those travelling to the resorts, paying resort guest or not. Thoughts?

Ok I get that every guest should have access to all the Monorails. Im not looking for a "paying resort guests only" Monorail. But why does the Resort Monorail stop at the TTC when that is literally the point of the MK monorail, to take people from MK to the TTC. I saw and heard many day guests make use of the resort line to get to the TTC to avoid the long waits for the MK express at bust times. Any addition the extra stop at the TTC is unneeded for those travelling to the resorts, paying resort guest or not. Thoughts?
as others have said to transfer to EPCOT and reverse back to their resort

Also, how else would day guests get from the TTC to the monorail resorts for ADRs?

One can just park at the resort for monorail resort ADRs. There is no reason to go to the TTC in that scenario.

This is often a bone of contention, I see both sides to it so it's not myopic from my perspective. However, and this is where things tend to get people hot and flustered. There is already a monorail to the TTC, there is also a humongous ferry that leaves directly to it, so I think if people are guests at other resorts there are a number of options available to them that would more than facilitate their transportation needs. The issue is not with 'options' but the element of what people feel is 'value' or a perceived 'benefit' from staying at an advertised 'monorail' resort. Paying a huge premium in many instances is for proximity to the parks, this is a Disney led feeling based upon the prices the further you are away for the most part, its an integral part of their business plan. Obviously different hotels are close to different parks and attractions, but for the most part, the most expensive hotels tend to be located close to MK.

The huge advantage is the direct access to the parks via the monorail or ferry boat system. I think this is in essence one of the biggest draws but also one of the biggest sold benefits. As above, I am sure people who are staying on site further afield get off at the TTC and then on to their hotels etc... But if that is the case, wouldn't the TTC loop do the same? Wouldn't the Ferry boat do the same? Granted those lines tend to be a little longer, but it is somewhat frustrating not being able to get on a monorail to get to your resort based upon the premise that is what was sold to you to pony up the extra money in the first place. There's no getting around that. That said, I understand that everyone has a right to get home safely and using both makes things more efficient, if they stopped going to the TTC, people would still use it and go to the Poly and simply get off there so it wouldn't solve the problem, in fact it may even make it worse. The only way to truly make it a monorail resort only loop is to make people scan their bands.... and we all know the issues that would cause! lol So in short, I feel your pain and frustration, but unless there are drastic changes...... it is what it is lol..

One can just park at the resort for monorail resort ADRs. There is no reason to go to the TTC in that scenario.

Guests going to parks after their reservation would need to move their vehicle then if they parked at the resort. And also, there are several off-site hotel shuttles and Uber/Lyft which drop off at TTC as well.

This is often a bone of contention, I see both sides to it so it's not myopic from my perspective. However, and this is where things tend to get people hot and flustered. There is already a monorail to the TTC, there is also a humongous ferry that leaves directly to it, so I think if people are guests at other resorts there are a number of options available to them that would more than facilitate their transportation needs. The issue is not with 'options' but the element of what people feel is 'value' or a perceived 'benefit' from staying at an advertised 'monorail' resort. Paying a huge premium in many instances is for proximity to the parks, this is a Disney led feeling based upon the prices the further you are away for the most part, its an integral part of their business plan. Obviously different hotels are close to different parks and attractions, but for the most part, the most expensive hotels tend to be located close to MK.

The huge advantage is the direct access to the parks via the monorail or ferry boat system. I think this is in essence one of the biggest draws but also one of the biggest sold benefits. As above, I am sure people who are staying on site further afield get off at the TTC and then on to their hotels etc... But if that is the case, wouldn't the TTC loop do the same? Wouldn't the Ferry boat do the same? Granted those lines tend to be a little longer, but it is somewhat frustrating not being able to get on a monorail to get to your resort based upon the premise that is what was sold to you to pony up the extra money in the first place. There's no getting around that. That said, I understand that everyone has a right to get home safely and using both makes things more efficient, if they stopped going to the TTC, people would still use it and go to the Poly and simply get off there so it wouldn't solve the problem, in fact it may even make it worse. The only way to truly make it a monorail resort only loop is to make people scan their bands.... and we all know the issues that would cause! lol So in short, I feel your pain and frustration, but unless there are drastic changes...... it is what it is lol..

Agreed and agreed. No easy fix so there will be none. At the end of the day more people would be inconvenienced if there were a change than there are being inconvenienced now as Monorail loop guests. I'll just quietly curse inside my head each time we stop at the TTC and 90% of the "resort" train empties as MK day guests return to their cars.

There was a time when the resort monorail was meant to be only for resort guests and day guests going to the resort to visit, back then it was only Poly and CR. Most of the time nobody checked, but there were times we had to show our resort card to get on the resort monorail. This was all before the internet and most people didn’t know the resort monorail stopped at the TTC so not many got on it to go there anyway. Ahhh life was so much simpler then. There are just too many people for it to work that way now.

Also, some of the Polynesian guests use the TTC stop as it is closer to some of the buildings.

As above, I am sure people who are staying on site further afield get off at the TTC and then on to their hotels etc... But if that is the case, wouldn't the TTC loop do the same?
Despite typical urging, many onsite visitors drive themselves to/from the TTC. All transportation is available to all customers.
but it is somewhat frustrating not being able to get on a monorail to get to your resort
You maybe can't board a specific monorail train, but I've never heard of anybody not being able to get on any monirail, evev, back to their resort.
Agreed and agreed. No easy fix so there will be none.
The monorail owner does not feel tgere us anything broken about the access. Nothing to fix.

I'll just quietly curse inside my head each time we stop at the TTC and 90% of the "resort" train empties as MK day guests return to their cars.

I guess i just don’t understand the issue.

There was a time when the resort monorail was meant to be only for resort guests and day guests going to the resort to visit, back then it was only Poly and CR. Most of the time nobody checked, but there were times we had to show our resort card to get on the resort monorail. This was all before the internet and most people didn’t know the resort monorail stopped at the TTC so not many got on it to go there anyway. Ahhh life was so much simpler then. There are just too many people for it to work that way now.

Lol. My cousin and her husband grew up in coastal FL. They “courted” at Wdw in the early 90s. They are the ones who showed me the resort monorail thing. No internet required.

Despite typical urging, many onsite visitors drive themselves to/from the TTC. All transportation is available to all customers.

Like me! Cannot stand the buses. And while going to MK by bus is ok in the mornings, waiting for a bus at night is horrendous for me. I’d rather be on the move (walking to ferry line, on ferry, walking to car), so I drive.

The monorail owner does not feel tgere us anything broken about the access. Nothing to fix

Agreed.

Lol. My cousin and her husband grew up in coastal FL. They “courted” at Wdw in the early 90s. They are the ones who showed me the resort monorail thing. No internet required.
Yeah. Pretty sure it it's been in The Unofficial Guide since its inception. If not, my mom's WDW-fanatic friend tipped me about it even earlier than that.

I guess i just don’t understand the issue.

Issues would be the long lines and over crowded Monorails(to the point you have to wait for the next Monorail) when the majority of the people are day trippers using it as a shortcut to get the the TTC when the Express line is super crowded.

Last edited:
Again, not all visitors who enter/exit the Resort monorail are staying offsite. Or they're not coming from MK.

All Walt Disney World transportation is available to anybody physically within the 43 square miles of the property. Issues with this should be addressed to Disney.

Disney is well aware of the problem, hence the way they shepherd people at the end of the night with CM mainly to the TTC monorail, the problem lies within any potential change in system and what benefits it would create as opposed to issues. Disney has no issues with having different rules for different sections based upon pay and purchases, the park hopper is a prime example, people have paid for an additional service i.e. the ability to use their ticket for more than one park, people with a non park hopper cannot do this. While this involves some element of 'paying for a service', the original point is that people are being charged a premium for being on a monorail resort based upon the proximity and ease of monorail transportation, ergo, there is an insinuation (real or perceived) as paying for additional services that while 'true' to some extent, are also impinged by those that are not 'paying' at a similar tier... and I think that is the point people are looking at.

I've spoken to Disney management about this on a number of occasions and they recognize the issues at play, but they feel that cannot 'force' people to make choices as to transportation and quite frankly, it is in their best interests as a whole to maintain the status quo from a logistical standpoint. That said, this stance doesn't invalidate peoples experiences nor perspectives on the matter when they feel there is an element of dissatisfaction with what is sold and what is reality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter