Resort Requests and Checkin Questions re: a Split Stay

jcvalenti

Epcot OG
So I'm a Disney Veteran but - strangely - not a resort veteran. We rarely stay on property, and when we do, it's usually at Swan or Dolphin during Food & Wine, so it's not the "usual" Disney process. We've got a somewhat hurridly trip planned for 11/25 to 12/2, and we're splitting the stay between a DVC rental of a 1 BR villa at Boardwalk with a Pool/Garden View, and a Standard View Room at Polynesian (which I've been dying to stay at since I first went to Disney in 1982). The wife and I decided we'd sacrifice a 20th Anniversary trip to surprise our High School Senior son (a crazy Walt Disney history fanatic who wants to study Hotel & Restaurant Management and work at Disney) by breaking him out of school for a few days and taking him to go stay at his two favorite resorts.

Anyway, there's so many threads and so many differing opinions, I'm having trouble organizing all the information - so I'm hoping people can share some insight on the specifics of resort checkin and requests. Normally when I check into a hotel (I travel a fair bit), I do a pretty good job chatting up the front desk, and I often end up with a nice view or an upgrade, just because I'm pleasant. Basically all I want from these rooms is (a) something far enough from the elevator that I don't hear all the guests from the floor coming and going all night, (b) a balcony or patio and (c) a view of anything other than a dumpster or parking lot.

Here's the questions I have:

1) Is it worth calling and having some requests added to our reservation ? Do they even pay attention to those ? Is it worth noting what you're celebrating ?

2) Is it worth getting a Touring Plans membership and having them fax a room request ? Does that really work ? Does anyone use faxes any more ? I mean, I had a client ask to send me a fax the other week and I had to check with IT to make sure our fax server still worked - I haven't gotten a fax in at least 5 years.

3) Anyone have any magic language they would suggest for requests ?

4) Is it worth doing Online Checkin ? Does that override any requests you've made ? Can you even do Online Checkin if you made a reservation renting DVC points ?

and finally

5) Does any of this matter ? Can you still get good results by just showing up and talking to the front desk person ? Are we all overthinking things just a little bit here :)

Thanks for reading this post which is roughly 300% longer than I anticipated. Sometimes I think obsessing about details and planning like this is just a way to make those Disney trips last longer - still strangely fun though !

So I'm a Disney Veteran but - strangely - not a resort veteran. We rarely stay on property, and when we do, it's usually at Swan or Dolphin during Food & Wine, so it's not the "usual" Disney process. We've got a somewhat hurridly trip planned for 11/25 to 12/2, and we're splitting the stay between a DVC rental of a 1 BR villa at Boardwalk with a Pool/Garden View, and a Standard View Room at Polynesian (which I've been dying to stay at since I first went to Disney in 1982). The wife and I decided we'd sacrifice a 20th Anniversary trip to surprise our High School Senior son (a crazy Walt Disney history fanatic who wants to study Hotel & Restaurant Management and work at Disney) by breaking him out of school for a few days and taking him to go stay at his two favorite resorts.

Anyway, there's so many threads and so many differing opinions, I'm having trouble organizing all the information - so I'm hoping people can share some insight on the specifics of resort checkin and requests. Normally when I check into a hotel (I travel a fair bit), I do a pretty good job chatting up the front desk, and I often end up with a nice view or an upgrade, just because I'm pleasant. Basically all I want from these rooms is (a) something far enough from the elevator that I don't hear all the guests from the floor coming and going all night, (b) a balcony or patio and (c) a view of anything other than a dumpster or parking lot.

1) Is it worth calling and having some requests added to our reservation ? Do they even pay attention to those ? Is it worth noting what you're celebrating ?

I would call and add you request to your reservation.

2) Is it worth getting a Touring Plans membership and having them fax a room request ? Does that really work ? Does anyone use faxes any more ? I mean, I had a client ask to send me a fax the other week and I had to check with IT to make sure our fax server still worked - I haven't gotten a fax in at least 5 years.

Yes. It can help.

There is no magic language for requests.

4) Is it worth doing Online Checkin ? Does that override any requests you've made ? Can you even do Online Checkin if you made a reservation renting DVC points ?

Yes you need to be careful that your requests do not conflict or they will cancel each other out
and finally

5) Does any of this matter ? Can you still get good results by just showing up and talking to the front desk person ? Are we all overthinking things just a little bit here :)

Thanks for reading this post which is roughly 300% longer than I anticipated. Sometimes I think obsessing about details and planning like this is just a way to make those Disney trips last longer - still strangely fun though !

See replies above. Also just as a point of interest " Split Stay" is an Internet term. To Disney you have 2 unique, separate reservations.

Yes, yes, and yes. But YMMV.

ETA: if my only requests are available as options in the dropdown menus during online checkin, I skip calling, make the request via online checkin -and- sometimes just reiterate via fax.
ETA2: if you are renting DVC points from another person you can't call up DVC/Disney resort reservations and add the request, the DVC owner will have to do that for you. I think you can still fax on your own to the resort, however, and there is online checkin as well.

Might as well try; supposedly they do read these, though you'll hear conflicting reports on that matter on the DIS alone. If you're doing ONLY one or the other, I think I'd call and have a CM make note of your requests -- written record in the guest's reservation is easier for the resort than having to receive fax, read it, then enter that info into the reservation system themselves. Less points of failure. Oh, but as for paying for the subscription, that's your call. You can fax just as easily using a number of free online fax services or via work (if allowed there).

Just normal, polite language in a brief message is all you need. Remember to include your name, reservation confirmation #, arrival date.
Folks say you should try to narrow your requests to three or so things (e.g. south-facing, upper floor, away from elevators) and list them in order of importance (most important to least important). Try to express what you're looking for instead of just a room number/range, so that if they can't put you in rooms 9500-9600 they have an idea of what would be similar to what you're looking for. In short, keep it simple.

I think so - streamlines the process and then you don't even need to visit the front desk during your stay (for checkin purposes) unless you want to. It can override requests if you give conflicting info -- you CAN still do online checkin without making any room requests, and in that case it will not override previously entered room request info in their system. Yes, online checkin is available for those renting DVC points, so long as the reservation is linked to your MDX acct.

Depends on resort, time of year, etc. as to whether or not it matters. Sometimes I just like to be surprised w/ room choice. Experiences vary with showing up and talking to front desk -- they do room assignments 4-5 days out, so the wiggle room at time of checkin is totally dependent on availability at the time, etc., but I at least hear they *try* to accommodate.

I agree, it's like stretching out the excitement in a way. Have a fabulous vacation!

Last edited:

and finally

1) Yes, it's worth calling and noting your requests succinctly and in order of priority. For your reservations (and you'd have to note them on both), I would request 1) away from elevator, 2) balcony or patio, 3) nice view

2) I've used the Touring Plans fax request twice with great success. I use it for other things as well, though, so, it's worth it to me. Only you can determine if it's worth it to you. Requests are not guaranteed, but I personally like the fax option as it has the ability to really zero in on what you prefer in a room.

3) Use positive language, as in, what you would like. I wouldn't put something like "no second floor" as the room assigner may only see "second floor" and not the "no"

4) If you've noted requests on the reservation and faxed in a request, I would only check requests on online check-in IF they completely coincide with what you've already requested. Too many requests or contradictory requests will not work in your favor. I did not call any requests in on our last trip, nor did I check any requests, but I did do the Touring Plans fax and it worked for me.

My rule of thumb - keep it short (3 requests tops), put them in order of priority.

1) Yes, you should call and have your requests noted on your reservation. For the DVC rental, the owner will have to do that - member services won't talk to you.

Be as concise as possible and avoid negative requests. Say "away from the elevator" not "not close to the elevator". Room assigners tend to be in a hurry and often miss the "not" or "no" portion of the request. Don't make more than a couple of requests - one is better. The more you ask for, the more you limit possible rooms and the less likely you'll get anything on your list at all.

2) Never used Touring Plans. Some folks swear by it.

3) No magic language that'll guarantee success, but the suggestions above will help.

4) Go ahead and do on-line check-in. But when you get to the part where it asks for requests, don't make any of you have called and added them to the reservation. Anecdotal evidence indicates that the online check-in requests will override anything you have already noted on the reservation. Again, you want any request to be simple and clear. Confusing the room assigners is not a good thing.

Couple of things worth noting:
For the DVC portion, all the rooms will have a balcony or patio. No need to request that. Also, at BWV, most of the rooms are a LONG way from the elevators. Most people will be asking to be near the elevators, so I wouldn't bother even bringing it up in any form there.

At the Poly, for the hotel rooms, 3rd floor has balconies, 1st floor has patios. 2nd floor has nada. (The DVC studios are different - balconies on both 2nd and 3rd floors.) Elevators are in the center of the Poly longhouses, surrounded by a mini-lobby of sorts. I've stayed in a room 2 doors from the elevator area and had zero noise from the elevator or from other guests.

As for views, the garden/pool view at Boardwalk will pretty much eliminate a dumpster or parking lot view issue. And I don't think Poly even has a "bad" view, with the possible exception of the Pago Pago building where some of the rooms look out onto a parking lot - but those are DVC studios.

Hope this helps a bit.

Steve

I used Touring Plans fax service last August, staying in a std Studio renting DVC points. I got almost exactly the room requested in Tokelau, with a side view of the lake! Touring Plan app is also very good for wait times I think.

Thanks to all - the information is very helpful ! Can always count on The Dis to provide some good guidance.

I used Touring Plans fax service last August, staying in a std Studio renting DVC points. I got almost exactly the room requested in Tokelau, with a side view of the lake! Touring Plan app is also very good for wait times I think.

So you were able to use the Touring Plans fax service to make requests rather than going through the DVC renter ? That sounds handy.

4) Go ahead and do on-line check-in. But when you get to the part where it asks for requests, don't make any of you have called and added them to the reservation.

I assume the would also apply if you faxed any room requests in ? Or have you heard that faxed in requests are being honored (to the degree possible) even if someone checks in online ?

I assume the would also apply if you faxed any room requests in ? Or have you heard that faxed in requests are being honored (to the degree possible) even if someone checks in online ?

Yes, if they can, they will honor faxed requests if you do Online Check In. As it has already been suggested, if you phone or fax in requests skip the request section during Online Check In.

I did a split stay and did online checking for both. Here were our results:

Pop Century - at online checkin, I requested to be in the 80s or 90s section in hopes of getting a renovated room. It worked and we were in the 90s.

AKL Jambo House - did online checking and requested an early check in time since we would just be switching resorts. Got the text our room was ready before noon. Also when looking at our room number on MDE it said Safari view! I had not booked this (too cheap lol) so we got upgraded just because! I did have to stop by the front desk to pay my balance and made sure I was still paying only the standard view. Now I will never not book safari!

So, our requests were made just fine with a surprise upgrade thrown in without any extra work. But I'm not sure if this is rare.

AKL Jambo House - did online checking and requested an early check in time since we would just be switching resorts. Got the text our room was ready before noon. Also when looking at our room number on MDE it said Safari view! I had not booked this (too cheap lol) so we got upgraded just because!

That's awesome ! I heard quite a few people recently say they got an unexpected upgrade (or were in a Standard room that had a partial Savannah view. I stayed at AKL Jambo House while in Orlando on a business trip this January and I had a Savannah View room - didn't spend much time in it, but it was great to start and end the days with that view. I absolutely LOVED Animal Kingdom Lodge - everything about it. Can't wait to get back.

I used touring plans request for a room in Great Pine Key, we got Conch Key. It was nice though, the room was nicer than the one I wanted. I don't think I can complain one little bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter