Resort rumor news from Screamscape.com

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
Earl or one of our Universal friends may debunk this, but I found it to be "Wow!"

Resort News - (7/9/2001) While Disney does not reveal it’s true attendance figures, industry analysts report that the WDW resort’s attendance looks to have dropped off about 7% this year. In addition to the parks being a little less crowded, there are also reports that the onsite resort hotels are only between 50-70% occupancy in the middle of the high traffic summer season instead of the normal 90% or higher levels typical in past years. By comparison, earlier this summer Universal reported that their two hotels (Portafino Bay & Hard Rock Hotel) were enjoying 90% or higher occupancy and they are well underway to open their third hotel... The Royal Pacific next year.

Wow! 90% or higher occupancy rates! No wonder I have trouble finding a room sometimes! :)

No debunk from here. The U.O. resorts are maintaining very high occupancy rates. The Royal Pacific should follow the trend. (Construction update: The main buildings are up six floors and the rough frame-in is starting.)

What's not mentioned is the decline in park attendance at WDW. IOA has been having consistently better numbers later than MK. Who would have ever thought?
Now, before I get bashed, I'm not picking on WDW's attendance. I worked there for a long time. Park attendance is down everywhere in Central Florida. The unfortunate side effect is that the low attendance numbers force the parks to mothball shows and attractions, short and long term. The Northeast part of the U.S. is currently the region feeding the most guests to the parks here, and making the most calls in to the reservation center.

It will be interesting to see what will happen to the numbers when they change the FOTL program and guests realize that they have to pay for self parking ($5.00/day may not be a big deal but it is not the norm in Orlando). I know we are staying at the HRH because of FOTL; it seems as though many others on this board are as well.

When I checked out yesterday the Hardrock Hotel and the Portofino Hotel were both sold out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) :) :) :) :)

I also saw the report. We're not bashing anyone, we like to hear the inside stuff. We can't wait to hear what IOA will do next because they need more attractions to handle the crowds. We know they're building the 3rd hotel, so who knows if they will build another attraction, but they need it at IOA. I'm sure the new hotel will sell out like the others. And yes, we know the line, "Those who know don't tell, those who don't know tell." So we know you're going to keep it a secret, but it would be nice if you leaked the details here first.

IMO - Once people visit IOA there is no going back to Disney. In one visit at IOA, you can do the same rides that would take 4 disney parks. Think about it, the disney rides are spread out over 4 parks and each park only has 2-3 rides (besides MK).
Disney fell behind the times and they've never caught up. They attempted to catch up with DCA in California, but here again, they put in "family" rides and figured the coaster fans would be happy, we're not, we're not going to DCA.

Take me for example, my daughter is now 10. We've been to BGT/SWF/IOA many times in the last 2 years, but not Disney.

We want thrill rides. I say this on the message boards and then I get bashed by all the "family" people. Say what you want, but I'm the real life example. Don't get me wrong, I've stayed at Disney many times and it's great. But it costs alot of money because you have to visit 4 parks to see everything. Ok, you could actually visit MK and MGM, but here again, you're visiting 2 parks and the biggest thrill rides are at MGM (Aerosmith's RRC and Tower of Terror).
The "magic" was great, but they need to catch up with some real thrill rides.

I have no plans on going back anytime soon. I'll continue to visit BGT/SWF/IOA to ride roller coasters. There's your real life example, and the reports back me up.

I really do not know but, if you are talking about me going back to Universal, then I guess I will book it in 3 years. Because I have different vacations that I want my parents to go on in the coming years. Let's just call it, Advanced Planning!:jester: :jester: :jester:

Don't worry, Robvia. I've gotten bashed so often on the Disney boards I never go there anymore. Just mention thrill rides, children at Pleasure Island(gasp-horrors-they were all SMOKING and DRINKING-what will become of my child if he's exposed to this criminal behavior?), how you got upset because some incompetant parent let their Damian run wild and annoy everyone else, or you hate Kathy Lee Gifford and you can get drawn and quartered over there. It's a little more fun on this side of the fence.

I remember reading somewhere that Florida can't get one of those Intamin giga coasters due to a 200 foot limit or something, which I can't understand. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I agree Universal needs a hefty massive 250 foot thing, but something tells me it won't happen. But hey- there's some motivation for traveling to Ohio or southern California. By the way, Hypersonic XLC at King's Dominion in Virginia is outstanding, as is Volcano(my favorite inverted hands down). Who knows-maybe the powers that be will see things our way!

I think the height limit for Florida is 199 feet. That's how tall Fearfall and TOT are. I think the reason is lightning, but Earl and the gang will know more for sure.

Anyway, I did a thrill ride tour of WDW. I think I rode 2-3 rides for each park. It was fun and it took me 8 hours to do. I was tired, but excited that I had actually done it.

I've read on several of the boards that the 199 foot height "limit" has more to do with the regulations that require that any structure 200 ft. and over have the red aircraft warning lights on top. Disney decided they wanted to avoid that, as it would conflict with the "mood" of the ToT. I would assume that IoA management and planners came to the same conclusion.

yin.gif

Cedar Point gets lightning and they go 300 feet. I doubt lightning is a reason.

The 200 ft. limit is a zoning limitation from the City of Orlando for the area that Universal is located. Doom is 199 ft tall for a federal reason. The FAA requires aircraft warning lights at 200 ft and above. The creative minds did not want the Doom towers to be a focal point of the park by getting your attention from those lights atop the towers.

Earl hit it right on the head. The usual sources for tourists are not being tapped this year. One of the chief reasons was that while people were in "planning" stages for summer vacations, the media was barraging them with stories of gas being $3.00 a gallon by mid-summer. Therefore, the trips to Orlando were called off and local vacations were grabbed as an option. Resorts in northern Wisconsin have seen an increase in bookings this summer. The midwest area (especially Chicago area) was hit by high gas prices early although they are now at their lowest in 2 years. With that and the shaky economy, people just wouldn't extend themselves. When I was at USF in early June it was uncrowded and I assumed this would continue through the summer. It sounds like it has.:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter