Retro Rides - Bring back the classics!

eanddlewis

Earning My Ears
Would Disney ever bring back some classic rides? Our culture is all about retro and nostalgia and I believe there are two rides that Disney should bring back. I really miss the original Figment and Horizon rides from EPCOT. I feel like Disney is planning on bringing more Marvel rides to EPCOT like there doing with Guardians of the Galaxy, but what I would like to see Disney bring back the classics and open a 5th gate to help divide up the crowds.

What old rides are worthy to be brought back and what would do you think Disney should do with EPCOT?

I think that's a great idea...even if they could just recreate the attraction using modern technology with a ride simulator and goggles....just pick one of the atttractions that you want to experience....I would love to relax with" If You Had Wings" or "Horizons" again...definitely would be a big hit with the 40 and up crowd LOL

Not to be morbid, but what happens when all those people who grew up with those rides die?

Then you've got a bunch of people with no emotional attachment to them who see them as outdated attractions. Not a sound business model.

I think that's a great idea...even if they could just recreate the attraction using modern technology with a ride simulator and goggles....just pick one of the atttractions that you want to experience....I would love to relax with" If You Had Wings" or "Horizons" again...definitely would be a big hit with the 40 and up crowd LOL
How great would that be to have all of the old rides available using Virtual Reality goggles! I would LOVE it!

Not to be morbid, but what happens when all those people who grew up with those rides die?

Then you've got a bunch of people with no emotional attachment to them who see them as outdated attractions. Not a sound business model.

true - but you still have a good 30 years or so for that (I mean, I loved Horizons and hope I at least make it to 70)

I do like the idea of something like the Star Wars Void experience but with Retro rides ... I also vote they do virtual Adventurer's Club

Mission to Mars, Horizons, World of Motion and 20,000 Leagues were memorable. But, I don't miss them enough to say bring them back.

I rode the Nemo submarine ride at Disneyland this past summer, primarily out of nostalgia for the old 20,000 Leagues ride(they're basically the same). And after the novelty of being in a submarine wore off after about 20 seconds, I was ready to get out of there. Unfortunately, that ride lasts approximately three hours, so it took a way bigger chunk out of my DL morning than I liked.

Now, riding Mr. Toad's Wild Ride on the other hand....that sucker never gets old. Just as good as I remember. Pooh is a major downgrade(and it's not a bad ride...just doesn't hold a candle).

I miss Horizons especially the futures from the 50's. I have fond Memories of If you had Wings but doubt anyone else would like it to return.
And for Heaven's sake can someone just bring back the Kungaloosh at least at Trader Sam's

The One they need to bring Back is the Original Journey Into Imagination because the current one really stinks

I feel like with all of the new technology, they could do an excellent reboot of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Or maybe I just love submarines...

Agree about the original Journey into Imagination. I also loved If You Had Wings, and Magic Journeys. Mr. Toad's was fun too. And I miss all of Pleasure Island - just that fun atmosphere. I could wander around, after dark, a female alone, with people drinking, still feel safe, and take in so many different entertainment opportunities.

I'd love to see it happen, but I think the odds are really low. Captain EO was a rare exception, but that was a film that they could put in place without a huge investment. There was also the Michael Jackson factor.

It would be great to see Disney create new attractions that act as sequels or enhancements on what they've done in the past. I'd love to see that with Imagination when that gets updated someday, and Horizons still connects to a lot of future tech and could be presented in a different way. The problem is that Disney is focused on IP in basically every new attraction, so it's unlikely with Iger as the leader.

The VR approach makes a lot of sense to me; Disney could even get a company to sponsor it and then offer experiences of past attractions. This would really work at Epcot in the Innventions area, assuming those don't get bulldozed.

The reason I don't expect this to happen is that the company generally doesn't look back at its history in that way. There is an untapped market for park music, documentaries, and more about the extinct attractions.

I'd love to see it happen, but I think the odds are really low. Captain EO was a rare exception, but that was a film that they could put in place without a huge investment. There was also the Michael Jackson factor.

It would be great to see Disney create new attractions that act as sequels or enhancements on what they've done in the past. I'd love to see that with Imagination when that gets updated someday, and Horizons still connects to a lot of future tech and could be presented in a different way. The problem is that Disney is focused on IP in basically every new attraction, so it's unlikely with Iger as the leader.

The VR approach makes a lot of sense to me; Disney could even get a company to sponsor it and then offer experiences of past attractions. This would really work at Epcot in the Innventions area, assuming those don't get bulldozed.

The reason I don't expect this to happen is that the company generally doesn't look back at its history in that way. There is an untapped market for park music, documentaries, and more about the extinct attractions.

I ldon’t be the idea of using part of Innoventions for VR of classic EPCOT... maybe they could do some rides that were conceived for EPCOT but never built (like part of Project Gemini)

Not a ride suggestion, but I adored the Tapestry of Nations/Dreams parade. I thought it was beautiful and I can still hear the drums now!

It's a fun discussion. And with the reboots happening on TV, it's a timely discussion. With virtual reality googles, how cool would it be to bring back Horizons in virtual reality (see my icon)

Using VR googles you could bring back a classic ride cheaply, and without having to tear down a newer ride to replace it with a classic.

Sadly, we all know this will never happen. Disney has a hard enough time getting new stuff completed and maintaining existing things (like the monorails and innoventions) for example.

It seems to work for "Small World" and "Peter Pan" and even "Carousel of Progress", "Country Bears" and (in Disneyland) "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln"

After all those people die their kids will love those rides because they grew up with them and will have that emotional attachment.

I never saw the original Journey into Imagination or the Horizon rides or the original Spaceship Earth but I would LOVE to see them.

I'd take out the current Test Track and put World of Motion back in. Marc Davis perfection. And of course I'd do a Joureny into Imagination reboot with both Figment and Dreamfinder.

Getting back down to reality, I'd frankly be happy if they created an attraction with original storytelling not based on a current IP. Something like a Mystic Manor.

Not a ride suggestion, but I adored the Tapestry of Nations/Dreams parade. I thought it was beautiful and I can still hear the drums now!
@tori.bh3 - Oh my gosh, how could I have forgotten those? I loved both, but probably liked Dreams a bit better, as I always VIGOROUSLY participated in putting my dreams into the DreamCatchers, just KNOWING if I did it at WDW, they'd come true! :o

And even if these don't come back, Epcot SO needs a parade - the whole circular lagoon with the wide pathways is just SO perfect for it!!

I think of Future World when I think of this topic. I don't necessarily want the actual attractions back, just the same kind of attractions. I wish they would go back to educational dark rides that were also entertaining. On a bigger scale I think the Land Pavilion should be the model for FW. Have an educational dark/slow ride component, a thrill component, and some central area/service/display that fits with the theme. They have all of the with Living with the Land, Soarin', and the food court acts as the theme anchor.

The transportation pavilion could include both a modern version of World of Motion along with Test Track. There could be a "cars through the decades" museum like lobby that holds it all together. Same with the space pavilion, and energy pavilion, etc.

Interesting topic. I don't think Disney would ever rebuild an old attraction although there are a few I'd love to see: original Figment, World of Motion, Horizons, Snow White....

I love the idea of a VR experience recreating the old rides. That would be super cool. Stick it in Innoventions. They've certainly got the space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter