Review of Oga's Cantina

DISNEYFOS

DIS Veteran
stop reading here if you don't like criticism of anything Disney....but wow What a complete disappointment!. Made a reservation for my husband and I just to try when it opened (its a bar mind you). good thing because there were no walkups allowed. They told us it was a 45 min "experience". There is absolutely no need to spend 45 mins in there unless your server disappears. (which they did) They ushered us into a dank corner, smushed in with three other families. with just a ledge, no seating..big red exit sign above our head .. told us if we left they would give our ledge to someone else. I left my dark corner for a bit to see if there was anything to even look at.. a band playing on the other side?? no just an animatronic droid..who didn't seem to do anything.. food was nasty. onions and strips of meat...with a few pork rinds... I finished my drink and said that's enough.. my husband went to the bar to get a to go cup for his beer. The bartender asked me where did you hail from or something like that.. I thought ok maybe they will play up a character.. No he just told me.. I can't stand there long I needed to go back to my ledge in the corner... told him thanks and left. What the heck Disney?!?!?! This could of been something... like the adventurers club...have actors come in periodically..play up some scene.. have an animatronic band in the corner playing. No just another money grab..moving herds thru an unpleasant rude experience that we are supposed to just be grateful we are in. very poorly done.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
We were there in October, similar, no walk ups, crowded inside.
I had read about it before and knew what somewhat to expect.
We had a group of 4 so some could easily walk around. We had a standing place at the bar.
Loved the atmosphere. The bartenders were great to interact with.
At the bar, they were in character.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
We were there in October, similar, no walk ups, crowded inside.
I had read about it before and knew what somewhat to expect.
We had a group of 4 so some could easily walk around. We had a standing place at the bar.
Loved the atmosphere. The bartenders were great to interact with.
At the bar, they were in character.

Maybe at the bar was more interesting as that is where the themeing is.. they wouldn't let you stay there.. You would probably agree that telling someone to stand in a corner with nothing really to see under an exit sign might not be a fantastic experience to have a reservation for? :rolleyes1

I don't completely disagree. We went last week, and felt they explained the "rules" pretty clearly before we went in and the server did too. I'd read enough to know it's not a place for food. Drinks were okay, but they are all just premade swill at hand crafted prices. I get it they don't want you to hang out for hours, but after walking and standing that's what people want, to relax for a bit. While the theming was fun, it seemed to be missing a lot of potential to keep people coming back. I had fun, but I'm one and done.

We were "seated" in that same spot by the emergency exit on our third time at Oga's and I agree that it was awful (party of 6 given about 1.5' of ledge). Half of my party just left, the rest of us had one drink and got out quick. Our server was good and in character, but the location was awful.

Our previous two times were much better. We had a booth the first time and were at the bar the second time right in front of DJ Rex. Both of those times we stayed for two drinks.

That’s a bummer.

We were a party of 11 and had our own large booth. We had a great time (even with a 5, 3 and 1 year old!) My 5 & 3 year old loved their bubbling carbon freeze and watching DJ Rex. We had a really fun and interactive server. I wasn’t sure how the kids would do, but they had a great time.

There are definitely spots in there that are better than others. We were very comfortable with our large group in a large booth. Worked great for the kids. It would have been a different if we didn’t have a spot like that.

I don’t mind that they don’t have food - it was fun to just sit and have a drink then go grab Ronto wraps.

My only hesitation about doing it again is that we wouldn’t be guaranteed seating. Part of the reason my kids did so well there was because we had our own booth. It would have been very hard for them to drink their fun drinks standing.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the experience! I'm hopeful that eventually some of the frustrating things about it will level out, similar to how it has with Trader Sam's for the most part.

I was able to temper our expectations by knowing the things you described before we went - 45 minute time limit, you're assigned a "space" with no seating, crowded, no walk ups, etc. I took all of it with a grain of salt and used it as an opportunity to check out the place rather than as a meal or a expecting to have a relaxing drink. I knew it wouldn't be that. We actually saw two other parties frustrated with the experience while there, and I got the impression they were expecting a traditional lounge/bar setting and were upset to learn they only get six inches of a bar to stand at the whole time. I see where it can be frustrating when you're not expecting that, so I would implore anyone else considering it to keep these things in mind to avoid disappointment.

Also, it helps to remember that if they let everyone sit and it was a more traditional bar experience where you could stay indefinitely and sit/stand where you want, the CMs wouldn't be able to handle the crowds, the line of walk ups would be out the door, and/or reservations would be near impossible to get. The current process seems to be the best way to get as many people in and out as they can, which helped us to get a reservation the day before we went.

Just to be clear... I wasn't looking for a hotel lounge to relax and eat...So maybe its because we are old enough to remember the Disney experiences of 10/15 years ago...like the Adventurers club.... You were only going for a drink, and maybe you needed to stand..but they made it into something to entertain you. This place -they could of had stormtroopers come in a look for someone...they could put on a an act for the people in there.. something to watch. Big opportunity missed to maximize crowds.. and then be rude to tell you needed to be happy in your spot in the corner. just saying..its not what Disney used to be.

Just to be clear... I wasn't looking for a hotel lounge to relax and eat...So maybe its because we are old enough to remember the Disney experiences of 10/15 years ago...like the Adventurers club.... You were only going for a drink, and maybe you needed to stand..but they made it into something to entertain you. This place -they could of had stormtroopers come in a look for someone...they could put on a an act for the people in there.. something to watch. Big opportunity missed to maximize crowds.. and then be rude to tell you needed to be happy in your spot in the corner. just saying..its not what Disney used to be.
When we were there, the bartenders were the entertainment. They had different antics and stuff they would do at certain points, some of it based on the droid. It wasn't constant, but often enough to catch it during a 45 minute window. I don't think a Stormtrooper walkthrough would be practical at the moment given the crowds and the number of people inside. I agree that no one should tell you go back to the corner - there are more polite ways to let you know that a server is servicing your area. I think its a weird place right now because it is not a typical bar experience, and no one is used to that. I'm sure the bartenders are dealing with that all day long. But no one should be rude about it. Again, hopefully some of these things change or even out as time goes by and the initial interest and popularity wanes.

It was one-and-done for us. I thought the atmosphere was really neat, loved the special effects with some of the drinks and our server was really fun, but I HATED being smooshed at the bar with barely space to move and the guest next to me constantly hitting me with her backpack . . . nothing there overcame my physical discomfort in the space. If they would lessen capacity by just a little bit, I think it would be a better, overall experience, but probably wouldn't be good for their bottom line. I do think they didn't quite hit the mark which is kind of surprising seeing how well they did, IMHO, with Trader Sam's at the Poly.

We were o.k. with it. We sat at a booth/table where we were on two little stools on the outside of the booth and there were maybe 5 or 6 people in the semi-round booth. They did have a sort of meat/cheese plate you could order but we weren't there for food. Our waiter told us we could have as many drinks as we wanted and could stay as long as we wanted. We knew going in we could only have two drinks and a 45 min. limit so that was what we were ready for. With the prices of the drinks, two were plenty. We enjoyed the DJ, my son especially since he is a Star Wars geek and after we finished our drinks we walked around a little just to see the bar and get a closer look at the DJ. We actually said if we go back, we would ask for the bar since it's easier for my son to stand then sit, he has back problems and never sits at bars. While not our favorite bar on property, that would be Nomad Lounge at AK, it was o.k. and considering Prime Time Lounge at 50s Cafe can get so crowded you can't even get up to the bar to place an order, it was more comfortable than that.

Obviously location of where you guys were put seems to have put a large damper but some of the other things I think comes down to expectation.

~Seating vs standing--that's part of the experience for better or worse. My guess is you may not have liked the booths considering you kept referring to the dark corners. Sometimes people have not liked the booths because they felt isolated and not 'in the ambience'. Don't know that they can appeal to everyone there.

~DJ Rex--they had music going but you're annoyed it's an animatronic? I see that as fun and better actually than just a band.

~As far as staying at the bar--well the bar is a part of where you might be led to so yeah crowding that for too long would be a disservice for those sat there. Maybe it was because you thought you could just stand there like a normal bar? IDK. Certainly you felt the CM didn't make you feel welcomed that can totally mar the experience.

~Food-- can't negate that the food didn't appeal to you in the end; it's not really a place to get food but I can understand wanting to enjoy the food you got

~"It's a bar mind you" along with your comments towards Adventurer's Club makes me think you had preconceived notions of what the space was supposed to be, what it was supposed to evoke in you and when it didn't it's just a crap experience to you. Understand that no it's not for everyone but it's also never intended to be Adventurer's Club nor a traditional bar.

All that said you're not obligated to like it, it's ok that you didn't but hey at least you tried it once and you know you don't have to worry about making reservations for it or going to it again :)

We were there twice in January and it all depends where you stand or site. First time was at the low part of the bar standing and second was in a booth. Two totally different experiences. CM stayed in character and were friendly to us. I agree the food is nasty. My daughter had some green/blue jello looking thing that was not good. Drinks are pricey and in order to get them out to people then need the premix unfortunately. We liked it and it was fun to do especially when the bartenders got the cheers going. It is crowded like a bar.

We do remember the Adventurer's Club fondly. That was a Great Place!!! and is missed badly. They should have kept that around. Sadly the cantina does not have the space of the AC so tough to do shows and interactic things. However, I do agree that they could send in some Storm Troopers or Bounty Hunters to search for people. That would add some flavor and maybe they do it. The time limit and rules are to keep people from just wandering in and around. While not ideal it could turn to chaos. Hopefully the tweak it over time.

Did you know DJ Rex was the pilot from the old Start Tours?

Have to agree with one-and-done. (I've only done the DL version, not WDW but I have to assume they are substantially the same.) The husband is a huge Star Wars fan and I'm a moderately big Star Wars fan so we definitely are glad we experienced it, but I don't see any reason for it to be a repeat destination.

I have reservations for me and my daughter, but I'm rethinking it now. She's 4, and while standing isn't a total deal breaker, all I can visualize is her standing under a bar trying not to spill her drink. I'm interested in it for the ambiance, and I think she'd get a kick out of one of the specialty drinks (non alcoholic, obviously).

Guess I just kind of have to hope the CMs will see the two of us and use some judgement as to where to place us.

I have reservations for me and my daughter, but I'm rethinking it now. She's 4, and while standing isn't a total deal breaker, all I can visualize is her standing under a bar trying not to spill her drink. I'm interested in it for the ambiance, and I think she'd get a kick out of one of the specialty drinks (non alcoholic, obviously).

Guess I just kind of have to hope the CMs will see the two of us and use some judgement as to where to place us.
They place you where they have room. I don't think they 'select' based on groups.

When we went in DLR there were multiple kids and we saw them in the standing areas. It's kinda you get what you get.

You can't have strollers in there either (just in case you were unaware).

4 may be a bit young but I think as long as the larger stimuli is fine for her and you're comfortable with close quarters (which goes for the booths as well) y'all can have a fun time. And if you're not feeling it you can tap out and go with minimal fuss. Just make sure you keep an eye on her because of the more limited light if you're standing.

The one upside to our experience - the service was quite fast - so if you are feeling uncomfortable, you could certainly ask for the check and get out!

If we make reservations, walk in, and just aren't happy with the situation, is there any reason we can't just leave? Are you obligated to stay and order??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!