review of Spirit airlines and AC airport

allicat

<font color=green>DIS Veteran<br><font color=navy>
I know a few people on this board are using Spirit for their flights so Id like to tell you my experience with them.
Our flight was at 7 am so we arrived at AC airport at 5. DH pulled the car up, unloaded the bags and I went in to wait on line while he parked the car.
Let me say, there were State Troopers outside and inside the airport. I felt very safe.
Ok from start to finish, checking the bags, going through security and going upstairs to find our gate took about 20 minutes. Im not kidding!
But, the line was really starting to build behind us so Id allow plenty of time.
It was effortless! Id use Spirit and AC airport again!

Now, make sure you allow LOTS of time for your returning flight. Orlando airport is nothing like AC airport. Our flight was at 6:15 and we arrived at 4. The line to check in was huge! Then after you wait on that line, you go over to the security line. The detectors for numerous gates are all in one area. You are in a line with a million people. It took us 1 hour and 40 minutes to get through check in and security lines. We had just enough time to get to our gate and they were boarding!
And there were no police or security around this airport other than those people checking ID's and curbside check in is still available at most airlines. However, NOT for Spirit.
Once we landed at AC, guess how long it took to retrieve our bags and be on our way? 10 minutes!

Thanks for the review, sounds like you had a nice time overall:)

We'll be flying out of AC in May and I'm curious as to what method of baggage searches are being done at AC?
Do they have the new x-ray machines and do random searches, or does every bag get searched?

Thanks!!

I flew out of A.C. on Spirit on 2/16, just as we were about to get that huge storm! We also had a 7am flight Allicat, we arrived about 5am (after a 45 minute drive :(). I had been so worried because we were originally booked out of Phila. on USAirways and I was concerned that security would not be good in A.C. since it's such a small airport. To my surprise, you couldn't move 5 feet without bumping into a State Trooper.

Mark P.,
The security bag checker told me that the searches are random, I believe it's a random number system. I had three checked bags and they only checked one. They opened it up and went completely through it. They then swabbed the outside of the bag and placed the swab in a machine to test for traces of explosives on the outside of the luggage! I had never seen this done in Philadelphia! Needless to say, I felt a little better getting on the plane (I'm a white knuckled flyer).

I would definately feel comfortable flying out of A.C. and Spirit again too!

A friend's son flew out of AC last weekend(after the war had started). She said they were checking all bags.

Were you able to check-in at 5 AM? I have the 7:00 AM flight Easter weekend so we figured 5 AM for arrival. They used to only give boarding passes out starting at 5:30 but I was wondering if that had changed since they recommend arriving earlier. I just can't imagine leaving for the airport in the middle of the night but whatever it take to arrive safely.

My family is flying out of AC on Spirit in August. We had a 7am flight scheduled, but changed it the other night leaving a day earlier at 2:55pm to MCO. Because of the war going on, the $75.00 service fee per ticket for changing flights was waived. We did however have to pay an additional few $$ because the price had gone up, but it was worth it not having to leave the house at 3:30 in the morning to catch the 7am flight, plus, we now get to stay at the Radisson near Port Canaveral the night before our cruise and meet fellow DIS'ers around the pool!!!

Mom23, we were in line and got our boarding passes before 5:30.

When you are waiting to board, there is a restaurant upstairs. I saw lots of people getting coffee and breakfast items for the plane ride!
Another tip I just thought of- bring your parking ticket stub with you, dont leave it in your car - put it in your carry on or wallet for safe keeping. Otherwise, you will have to walk out to your car and retrieve it in order to pay for your parking.

allicat,

Another tip I just thought of- bring your parking ticket stub with you, dont leave it in your car - put it in your carry on or wallet for safe keeping. Otherwise, you will have to walk out to your car and retrieve it in order to pay for your parking.

Thanks for this tip about the parking ticket stub. Do you recall what the per day charge is for parking?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter