Review: Shell beach/Pismo beach

Judy from Boise

Watch out – might take away your
Shell beach is actually a specific beach within Pismo, slightly north of the main part of the city. We used the staircase to the right of the fancy hotel (name?) to access it. There was free parking across the street from the staircase.

the stairs are needed to get down the cliff

IMG_0795.JPG

of course there is a nice stretch of ocean......

IMG_0587.JPG

but you really come for the tidepools

IMG_0583.JPG

they are very vibrant

IMG_0584.JPG

we mainly played with the hermit crabs, and pocked our fingers (gently) into the sea annenomes

IMG_0582.JPG

Good footware is important, think river sandlel at the least

there are aslo stretches of sand in between tide pools and rock formations

IMG_0601.JPG

we then drove a short distance to Pismo, had lunch at Mo's BBQ, and walked the pier.

IMG_0614.JPG

It was a classic pier, with some great views, fishermen, and surfers in the water

IMG_0616.JPG

and of course pelicans !

IMG_0612.JPG

I rate this as 4 stars....highly reccomended. Of all the beach towns, I think Pismo was the cleanest, laid back, and family friendly.I could easily see making this the base of operations for a nice vacation, or just a great day trip!

Beautiful post. I'm always looking for interesting weekenders and this might be one for us (we live in l.a.). Thanks.

I will not mention bugs bunny in this post. Oops.

Beautiful post. I'm always looking for interesting weekenders and this might be one for us (we live in l.a.). Thanks.

I will not mention bugs bunny in this post. Oops.

:rotfl2: Okay, so I'm not the only one who thinks of Bugs Bunny at the mention of Pismo beach!

Thanks Judy for the great photos and review of the beach! I've been there a couple of times in the past but it's been awhile and DH and I were thinking of going again sometime.

thanks ! Did you like Pismo ?
Yes! DH's grandmother lived in San Luis Obispo and we visited her at least once a year before she passed away in 2005. We've only been twice since then. We've stayed at The Cliffs three times; they were sold out on two of the nights we were there so we stayed at the Best Western this time. We spent time in SLO, Morro Bay and Cayucos and went to the state beach in Pismo once. It was a great trip, very relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter