Rhine River Cruise ABD - Just saw photos of Rhine in News!

uromac

DIS Veteran
Hi!

Just called ABD as I just saw images of Rhine river in the news
https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/09/river-rhine-dries-heatwave-europe-continues-7817196/
- they said so far everything is on schedule but we're wondering how it will be in September - has anyone been on an 'altered' cruise on the Rhine - I know it will be a great and magical time with our Food and Wine cruise tour, but we were really looking forward to cruising and not 'bus cruising' ;)
Appreciate any feedback or thoughts thanks!

Melissa :)

My boss did a Viking river cruise where because of low water levels they had to do a boat swap. They got to keep their "same" room but they were moved to a completely different ship.

Nope. Our Viking cruise was on the Seine but we didn't have any issues with water levels.

Laurie
Whoops. Sorry about that. Now I really wonder who it was that I know who *did* have the problems! Ah, well, thanks for responding! :)

Sayhello

I too was wondering about the low water levels on the Rhine. Yikes! I really am trying not to worry.

Yikes, we were looking at either this or Germany for 2020. Might be leaning more towards Germany.

We're on the Rhine cruise on October 8th. Found this online which makes me less worried.

"AmaWaterways’ ships are built with lower draft and less weight than many of their rivals. We’ve had plenty of times when our customers on Viking were bused due to high river levels while our customers on AmaWaterways were sailing as if there were no issues with the river at all."

Wow, that's interesting! On our July 2 Rhine cruise, they did mention that in some spots along the Rhine and at certain times (not necessarily on our cruise in particular, but depending on time of year and rain), there would be just a very short distance between the ship and the bottom, like just one or two feet and there are certain parts where there is a specific way to navigate it b/c of the rocks along the bottom, so there is a cleared channel that all the ships go through. It was really fascinating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts