Ride Logistics for Family of 5

firefly_ris

DIS Veteran
On our last trip, only one of my three kids was big enough for the coasters. For our upcoming trip, all three will be big enough for almost everything with 2 or 3 exceptions (RnR comes to mind). We're an odd number -- for rides like SDMT that only fit 2 per row, how will that work with our third? At the time of travel, they will be 8, 7 and 5. Can the 8 year old sit by herself directly in front of us? I think I've read that they can be 7 to ride alone in a ride seat, but I just am looking for some verification and some experiences from other families of 5.

Family of 5 here. Someone has to fly solo on any 2 person ride. Disney says that anyone under 7 has to be accompanied by an adult on rides. So your 8 year old could sit alone in front of you and you can split up the other kids between your spouse and yourself. This is what we do sometimes with our oldest (11). Or we'll let the oldest and middle sit together and one of us will sit alone and the other will sit with the youngest. I don't find that Disney ever steps in and makes it difficult. You just decide how you want to load when you are waiting in line and then jump in accordingly.

Same for us. Although, my kids are older (14, 11, 8). Most of the time DH or I rode with the 8 yo and the older kids rode together. Sometimes we would mix it up, but the single rider was always DH or myself. Disney never questioned it at all.

We are a family of 5, so I know the struggle is real! The 8 year old can ride in their own car on rides where you can't fit 3 in a seat. On Big Thunder & Splash, we could fit 3 in a row, but on SDMT, RNRC, Barnstormer, and EE someone has to ride alone. Sometimes, the seat next to the lone rider stays open, but other times they fill it with a single rider. We found this to be particularly true on SDMT. My oldest was 8 on our last trip, and she HATED when they'd put a random adult male next to her. She got over it though.

Perfect, thank you. It sounds like it shouldn't be an issue for the most part.... for rides like SDMT where they are more likely to fill in with a single, I'm wondering if it will be possible to seat my 8 and 7 year old together, then 5 year old with adult, then single adult -- the Disney site says "Children under age 7 years must be accompanied by a person age 14 years or older." He won't be UNDER 7, he'll be 7 (though my kids are all small so none of them really look their age), so I'm wondering if that could possibly work. This might be a non-issue and my daughter might not give a toss about riding solo, but just thinking ahead in case she does...

I’d put the 8 and 7 year olds together and have one of the parents sit alone. I think it would be easier in most instances for an adult to sit alone (or next to a stranger) than a child.

I’d put the 8 and 7 year olds together and have one of the parents sit alone. I think it would be easier in most instances for an adult to sit alone (or next to a stranger) than a child.

Yes, I would lean towards that, I just wasn't sure if it was allowed for the 7 and 8 year old to sit together but it sounds like they are. Thanks all!!

Yeah, the 7 and 8 year old can absolutely ride together. When our triplets turned 7 they started riding together without us on rides like Voyage of the Little Mermaid. They should be prepared to answer CMs asking them how old they are. Ours got asked on several rides.

For 2 seater rides I agree - put the 7 and 8 year old together, then one parent with the 5 year old, and then one parent by themselves. For where you can fit 3 in a seat then you can split up - 2 kids with one parent, 1 kid with the other parent. We are a family of 3 and my son always picks to sit with his dad on 2 seater rides so it's always me by myself!!!

My 7 and 9 year old rode together, and the 5 year old rode with me and/or my husband. When necessary a parent rode alone.

The one exception was a roller coaster that 7 and 5 year olds wanted to go on and dad and 9 year old did not. 7 year old had to sit alone and the CM sat a female single rider with him.

Yes, ages 7 and above can ride alone. The CM asked my daughter directly.

Also, any child under 7 cannot ride with the 7 or 8 year old. So the only option would be for the 7 &8 year old to go together or individually.

We just got back - they do ask the kids ages. My daughter is petite and just turned 7 and got asked every time how old she was if we had her on her own.

We also witnessed a huge dust up at Barnstormer about this with another family. Mom showed up with a bunch of kids and there were too many under 7. They had to get off the coaster and reconfigure into two groups with the required ages and the mom definitely made sure everyone around knew she was not happy about it. So at least sometimes they are real sticklers about it.

We also witnessed a huge dust up at Barnstormer about this with another family. Mom showed up with a bunch of kids and there were too many under 7. They had to get off the coaster and reconfigure into two groups with the required ages and the mom definitely made sure everyone around knew she was not happy about it. So at least sometimes they are real sticklers about it.

Do they have the age info posted somewhere in the parks? I’ve never noticed. Most people do not research before a trip.

I could see where this would be irritating to find out after you’ve already stood in line, especially if there is no combination of correct ages that you can come up with. What happens when a single parent takes a trip with multiple small children and then finds out after they arrive that they can’t ride anything?

I know I have seen threads on the Dis before where newbies thought there were “kiddie rides” at Disney that their small children could ride by themselves and even rides that adults were not allowed on (like at a fair or carnival).

Yep - It is clearly posted, if under the age of 7 they must be accompanied by someone 14 or older. We saw it at multiple rides on the same boards as "don't ride if your pregnant or have high blood pressure" type warnings etc.

When we went in spring my girls were 8 and 10. CM asked at most rides and either directed them after that or asked their preference. Once or twice the CM wanted the 10 year old alone and me with 8 year old (the Barnstormer was one I remember for some reason) more often they wanted the girls together and me behind them. :)

Thanks for posting this - going in March with 5 - kids are 8,10, and 15, so sounds like I’ll get to sit with the strangers - lol.

When mine were younger, dh or I would ride alone and the other would ride with the youngest (2 1/2 at her first visit) of if we could fit 3 we would do 2 kids and 1 adult (haunted mansion). Then the older 2 would ride in front or behind us. Actually the kids would be between dh and I.

We went in August and our kids were 17, 14 and 12. The older 2 still rode together and I (the mom) took one for the team and rode alone...alone..it was so glorious. Freedom...granted they were with in arms reach...but alone....what a concept!

We won’t be back until 2023 and my 17 yo wants to bring her boyfriend (if they are still dating). And who knows my sisters may come.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter