Rider Swap at FoP? How was your experience with the new system?

MamaBear12

Mouseketeer
We're hoping to rope drop FoP on our upcoming trip, but we'll need to rider swap since we have littles. I've read accounts of people attempting rider swap at other rides (riding standby) who were frustrated with rider swap because while they were getting the rider swap set up with a CM, a ton of people pass them to enter the stand-by line, thus resulting in a much longer wait time. I've read with FoP that where you position yourself to get in that line at rope drop can change your wait time from 15 minutes to 1-2 hours, so I'm worried that putting the effort into rope drop for a shorter wait time will backfire as we'll lose our advantage when we stop to set up rider swap. AK is our third park day, so we will have tested rider swap out before then, but I'm curious what others' experiences have been with rider swap at FoP. Did people pass you? Were the CMs quick so you didn't loose your place in standby? Thanks!

I didn’t do FoP at rope drop, but we did do other rides with the new rider swap and sometimes it took ages. One time there was a small line for the rider swap that took us about 5 minutes to get through and another time she couldn’t get the scan to work on my band and had to reset her scanner which took ages. Other times it was quick, but more often than not it at least took a couple of minutes.

Based on how quickly the FoP line forms it will definitely put you further back in the line than the old system would have. The ride is wonderful though so if that is your only way to ride it then it is at least worth a try!

I didn’t do FoP at rope drop, but we did do other rides with the new rider swap and sometimes it took ages. One time there was a small line for the rider swap that took us about 5 minutes to get through and another time she couldn’t get the scan to work on my band and had to reset her scanner which took ages. Other times it was quick, but more often than not it at least took a couple of minutes.

Based on how quickly the FoP line forms it will definitely put you further back in the line than the old system would have. The ride is wonderful though so if that is your only way to ride it then it is at least worth a try!

Agreed. The scanner things seem to glitch out frequently. We only did rider swap when other members of our party had a fast pass so I’m not sure if a cast member at the stand by entrance has a scanner. It could easily take several minutes to get your rider swap applied all the while other people passing you.

So in essence if you can would you be better off to get the rider switching a Fastpass at a totally different time?
I will be riding alone as we have a little person too small ..

We didn’t do this at FOP but it did happen at Space Mountain at rope drop. At first it looked like they were holding the line while they scanned others but when it came to us, everyone started passing. It does seem to take a little extra time to scan everyone’s band. (More bc the kids aren’t really paying attention/ready than the CM)

One more thing to note is that the time to return to ride is based on the posted wait time. So if you get right in there at rope drop and you only wait for a few minutes but the wait time is long, you may have to wait to have the others ride. When you look at the rider swap in the app it will show you the window.

So we just use the cards and not magic bands. At RD at FOP can I walk along with the stroller, and when we get to the rider swap cast member I can wait to get the cards scanned and the rest of our party can continue on inside without waiting and losing our spot?

So we just use the cards and not magic bands. At RD at FOP can I walk along with the stroller, and when we get to the rider swap cast member I can wait to get the cards scanned and the rest of our party can continue on inside without waiting and losing our spot?

Cards and magic bands work exactly the same way.

Thank you for sharing. We’ll be 4 adults and 4 kids (2 of whom can’t ride). If we attempt to rope drop it, do you think we could have 3 stay in line to hold our spot while 3 of us get Rider swap set up. Then the non-RS adult jumps back in line with the other 3 while 2 of us watch the kiddos? I know “cutting” is frowned on, but it’s not really cutting if we had that spot to begin with, right? ;-)

Cards and magic bands work exactly the same way.

I understand that. Just saying it's easier for me to hold 4 cards while the rest of our party continues onto the ride. Rather than have 4 people undo their magic bands and have me holding them all to get the rider swaps.

If you go standby on FOP you can hold their cards/bands. If the first group is riding with a fast pass, keep in mind it has to be scanned again during the walk through the queue. And then when second group rides with the rider switch, they also need to rescan.

If you go standby on FOP you can hold their cards/bands. If the first group is riding with a fast pass, keep in mind it has to be scanned again during the walk through the queue. And then when second group rides with the rider switch, they also need to rescan.
No FP+ for us :-( So, if my husband, for example, is doing standby with his cousin and god son and I’m waiting with the 3yos and cousin #2, could I take hubby’s band while he stays in standby and cousin #2’s while she stays with the littles and set up rider swap for cousin #2 and me? That way hubby doesn’t lose his place in line. Or would hubby have to step out of standby line to set it up with me? Thanks!

Thank you for sharing. We’ll be 4 adults and 4 kids (2 of whom can’t ride). If we attempt to rope drop it, do you think we could have 3 stay in line to hold our spot while 3 of us get Rider swap set up. Then the non-RS adult jumps back in line with the other 3 while 2 of us watch the kiddos? I know “cutting” is frowned on, but it’s not really cutting if we had that spot to begin with, right? ;-)

The riders can't just rush ahead and get in line while the non-riders meander up a few minutes later with extra bands/cards. Whether the CM will allow the riders to be present with the group and then immediately jump in line while non-riders get their pass, you can certainly ask.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts