Rider swap

Well. It works the way rider swap is supposed.

Say my spouse and I are traveling with an infant child. But we both want to ride Slinky Dog Dash rollercoaster. We can wait in the regular line, or we can get fastpasses.

In this caae you have a fastpass, so let'a say my hypothetical self and spouse also have fastpasses. All people entering through the fastpass line require a fastpass, regardless of if using rider switch. You go to fastpass line, scan in, one adult waits with baby, one rides ride, then you do it all again for the second adult. If you're trying to find out if there's some sort of baby watching person at the rider swap entrance, sadly, no lol.

If you both have FP and it's just the 2 of you, you don't need RS. The advantage to RS is it allows people to enjoy riding together. For instance dad, mom and kid #1 have FP, kid #2 is not able to ride. Dad rides with child #1, mom waits with baby. Then mom rides and can bring #1 back with her on the swap.

As far as everyone who is riding must have a FP- there's a lot of people who don't find this to be true, but ymmv. We'll have my grandson who cannot ride TOT this next trip. I've booked SDD for the two of us. My daughter and her husband have TOT booked. We'll give it a shot at TOT and see if we can get rider swap for me to be able to ride with one of them. If we can great, if not, nothing lost. I'm not willing to have him lose a ride opportunity in order for me to get TOT.

You wouldn’t use rider swap in this situation.

For instance, on our last trip, DH and I both had FP for FOP and a 2 YO who couldn’t ride. DH used his FP and then I used mine. No rider switch necessary.

It can work say if you showed up to the ride 5 mins before the end of your fast pass hour. THen you go up to the attendant and say you would like to do rider swap, they would secure the second parent that way.

Since this is the newest thread, Ill post this question here. What if you have a ride that does not require a minimum height but one child is an infant in a carrier. Can you still use Ride Swap or will they not allow it due to the child "technically" being able to go on the ride. I am referring to something like Toy Story Mania where I am not sure how practical/safe it would be to have a child in a carrier on that ride.

Also, I guess if they would NOT allow RS is the above situation, what are your thoughts on the safety of child carriers on TSM or overall while on rides?

Since this is the newest thread, Ill post this question here. What if you have a ride that does not require a minimum height but one child is an infant in a carrier. Can you still use Ride Swap or will they not allow it due to the child "technically" being able to go on the ride. I am referring to something like Toy Story Mania where I am not sure how practical/safe it would be to have a child in a carrier on that ride.

Also, I guess if they would NOT allow RS is the above situation, what are your thoughts on the safety of child carriers on TSM or overall while on rides?

Typically they do not give out rider swap for any ride without a height requirement. An option that might be available is to take everyone through the line and ask the CM at the boarding area if you can do a swap there. One adult would then wait to the side with the baby while everyone else rides and when they are back, that adult (and usually one companion) will be able to ride while someone else in your party takes the baby. I don't know for sure if they allow that on no height rides, but they do for height restricted rides with someone who is tall enough but doesn't want to ride and cannot wait alone.

In regards to carriers, you will not be allowed to carry a little one on your back on probably any ride. With front carriers, it will often depend on many factors such as the set up of the ride/vehicle, whether there is a lap bar, the style of the carrier (sling vs harness), and whether they are forward or rear facing in the sling. Reports that I have read often vary with experiences even concerning the same ride with what has been allowed.

I've personally seen babies in forward facing harnesses taken on TSMM at seemingly very young ages. I've also seen someone be told their little one has to be forward facing with their legs secured under the lap bar. My almost two year old sat on my lap the last time we went (no carrier). He could not reach the blasters to actually play and I did feel it was safer to have one arm wrapped tightly around him as the ride does whip you around a bit. It made it difficult to really play one handed but he still enjoyed it.

You can make your FastPasses stretch further if you don't both get them for the same rides. For example, one parent could get one for space mountain and the other for splash mountain. Then you can use the rider swap system to both be able to ride both rides with a FP but you've only each used up one of your fast passes. Or if you both already have FPs for the same ride you can always still ask for the rider swap passes and save them to ride the same ride again later in your trip.

What if you have kids old enough to to get their own FPs? im helping my SIL plan her trip, and she and my brother want to go on FOP, so they will get a fast pass for that. What do you do with a third fastpass for the kids? They can’t go on a ride alone.

What if you have kids old enough to to get their own FPs? im helping my SIL plan her trip, and she and my brother want to go on FOP, so they will get a fast pass for that. What do you do with a third fastpass for the kids? They can’t go on a ride alone.

If they are requiring all riders to have a FP, there's nothing you can do. If they aren't then you'd only get 1 FP for FOP using rider swap, then one of them could book a FP to ride something with the kids. The problem is, you won't know until you're there if they are actually going to require them to both have FP's. There doesn't seem to be a consistent policy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!