Rider switch when child is “afraid” to ride

MamaBear12

Mouseketeer
Both my kiddos are tall enough to ride 7DMT, but my oldest (6) hates roller coasters. Will they let us rider swap even if technically she could ride it, or should I just plan to do something else with her while the rest of our group rides it? She and I have both ridden it before (she was 3.5 at the time and subsequently refused to go on it during our trip last year), so I won’t be super bummed if I miss it this year.

you will get thousands of different answers and even more personal opinions. In my experience, I was allowed, BUT it will be up to the cast members at each attraction. You will probably will find very strict cast members at popular rides, because those are ones people abuse the most. Good luck!

you will get thousands of different answers and even more personal opinions. In my experience, I was allowed, BUT it will be up to the cast members at each attraction. You will probably will find very strict cast members at popular rides, because those are ones people abuse the most. Good luck!

Nope. The answer is clear cut from Disney themselves. But its true the CM may not be properly educated. Save the below link to show them!

What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?
If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!

If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!

Rider Switch is available at select attractions at all 4 Walt Disney World Resort theme parks.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

Nope. The answer is clear cut from Disney themselves. But its true the CM may not be properly educated. Save the below link to show them!

If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!

If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!

Rider Switch is available at select attractions at all 4 Walt Disney World Resort theme parks.

Thanks! I’d heard some conflicting info that some CMs wouldn’t do it if the child met the height requirements. Maybe they were trying to do it with fast passes as opposed to standby? Anyway, I’ll keep this handy should we have a problem. Thanks!

This has been heavily discussed on the boards. Regardless of what the website says, you may or may not be given an actual rider swap. People have been denied (and posted here) numerous times that they were denied rider swap for a tall enough child or handicapped adult who didn't want to ride but can't wait alone. Bringing up the website will not matter, because technically there is another option available which I will discuss below. You wouldn't get an actual rider swap added to your magic bands, but the swap could be performed at boarding. Some people have had luck getting an actual rider swap for a child who doesn't wish to ride, but it's really luck of the draw.

One option that is usually available if the child is tall enough is for everyone to enter the queue. If you're trying to ride FP, then everyone (including the child who doesn't want to ride) would need a FP. When you get to the boarding area, ask the CM if you can perform a swap there. One adult will wait to the side with the child while the other adult rides. When they get back, the second adult rides and the first adult can exit with the kid. This would not work for any rides where the boarding and unloading areas are not the same, but I'm not sure if there are any height-restricted rides where there is the case off the top of my head.

This has been heavily discussed on the boards. Regardless of what the website says, you may or may not be given an actual rider swap. People have been denied (and posted here) numerous times that they were denied rider swap for a tall enough child or handicapped adult who didn't want to ride but can't wait alone. Bringing up the website will not matter, because technically there is another option available which I will discuss below. You wouldn't get an actual rider swap added to your magic bands, but the swap could be performed at boarding. Some people have had luck getting an actual rider swap for a child who doesn't wish to ride, but it's really luck of the draw.

One option that is usually available if the child is tall enough is for everyone to enter the queue. If you're trying to ride FP, then everyone (including the child who doesn't want to ride) would need a FP. When you get to the boarding area, ask the CM if you can perform a swap there. One adult will wait to the side with the child while the other adult rides. When they get back, the second adult rides and the first adult can exit with the kid. This would not work for any rides where the boarding and unloading areas are not the same, but I'm not sure if there are any height-restricted rides where there is the case off the top of my head.

THIS^

Count me in as being refused for my OBVIOUSLY DISABLED DS who can't ride everything and can't sit alone. Have repeatedly been told no.

Bottom line is that CMs on the ground have the last word. At rides, restaurants, shops, hotels .... it doesn't matter what you have been told or what the website might say ... it only matters what the CMs & their supervisors at the location say ... and it can vary from shift to shift, manager to manager. The Disney website is notoriously behind, contradictory, wrong etc ........... they didn't even list Rider Switch for 7DMT until years after it was open. For years the website fine print was different from what was printed on the passes. You might get one, you might not. I would for sure prepare the child that they don't have to ride but they might have to go through the line with you (as @LongLiveRafiki explained) to wait inside.

EVERYTHING at Disney has fine print that covers their end. You are not even guaranteed the room or hotel you booked. You are only guaranteed "a room". Always best to have plans for in case of ... rather than spend your vacation fighting with CMs.

Last edited:

Correct, the website does say that. And there is a way to "rider swap" with a child/person who is tall enough... but it may not be the "rider swap pass" that is utilized for children too short to enter the queue. As LongLiveRafiki states, everyone may be required to enter the queue and the "swap" occurs at boarding.

It really can depend on the CM, however, so it's worth asking.

Enjoy your vacation!

Correct, the website does say that. And there is a way to "rider swap" with a child/person who is tall enough... but it may not be the "rider swap pass" that is utilized for children too short to enter the queue. As LongLiveRafiki states, everyone may be required to enter the queue and the "swap" occurs at boarding.

It really can depend on the CM, however, so it's worth asking.

Enjoy your vacation!

Its on their website so I could win that argument in a court of law. Im not the argumentative type so I would not push a CM that said no, but I would definitely politely question them for not following their own companies public facing published guidelines. Its not the guests fault if policies have changed and the website hasn't been updated. If I was told no I would take it to customer relations for a full explanation of why the park isn't following their own public facing written policy (which would probably result in free FPs :smooth: ).

Its on their website so I could win that argument in a court of law. Im not the argumentative type so I would not push a CM that said no, but I would definitely politely question them for not following their own companies public facing published guidelines. Its not the guests fault if policies have changed and the website hasn't been updated. If I was told no I would take it to customer relations for a full explanation of why the park isn't following their own public facing written policy (which would probably result in free FPs :smooth: ).

I am also among those who wasn't able to get a RS for a tall enough child - but as hopper pointed out there is an alternative swap - just not in the form of a "fastpass/riderswap pass".

Since the child can wait in line the switch would be done at boarding/the exit (or as instructed by the CM) instead of adding a RS Pass to the MB. Still eliminates a double wait in line so IMHO they are following the policy.

The CM at the attraction likely has no idea what's on a website and will rely on the training they received, doing otherwise could lead to termination.

Last edited:
Its on their website so I could win that argument in a court of law.

I'm not a lawyer, but since the info posted to the website doesn't specify the exact process or mention anything about different processes, I don't think anyone could argue that a swap at boarding doesn't fall within what is posted. WDW is notorious for having info posted that isn't accurate, but I don't think anyone would "win" an argument on this one. The posted info is too vague.

Exactly what @lanejudy said above. The website does not specify where the adult and non-rider will wait, whether you enter the queue and perform the swap at boarding or outside of the linr, or anything about actually receiving the rider swap "pass" which would be necessary for the swap to take place outside of the queue/allow the second adult to later enter the FP line.

A CM may give a rider swap pass outside the line for a child who is tall enough, but the website does not state that it must be done that way vs allowing the swap at boarding.

Exactly what @lanejudy said above. The website does not specify where the adult and non-rider will wait, whether you enter the queue and perform the swap at boarding or outside of the linr, or anything about actually receiving the rider swap "pass" which would be necessary for the swap to take place outside of the queue/allow the second adult to later enter the FP line.

A CM may give a rider swap pass outside the line for a child who is tall enough, but the website does not state that it must be done that way vs allowing the swap at boarding.

OP said they were refused not offered to stand in a different area. I don't think anyone here would complain as long as they werent downright denied any option.

OP said they were refused not offered to stand in a different area. I don't think anyone here would complain as long as they werent downright denied any option.

I am confused ? OP asked if rider swap was offered if a child was tall enough but chooses not to - I don't see where they were refused.

Those of use who were denied a paper or digital RSP pointed out the alternative.

As was stated above, OP was not refused a swap. 2 PPs said they were denied the pass, but both acknowledged that another form of swap can happen at boarding.

Here's a thought. Perhaps get everyone FP+ for 7DMT, but try to schedule the two for you and your DD6 about 15 - 30 minutes after everyone else's. While the others in your party ride 7DMT, you could take her to an attraction that doesn't require FP+ in the area - Mickey's Philharmagic, the carousel, maybe small world if the line isn't long. When your family is done riding 7DMT, you could then go on and your DD6 could switch MB's with someone in your party who would like to ride 7DMT again, while the rest of your family, again, takes DD6 on something in the area that doesn't require FP+. Does that make sense? It's just a way to ensure you get to ride 7DMT and you aren't stressing out over whether the CM will grant you rider switch or not.

Remember everything at Disney is subject to availability. So even with that print out, winning anything is questionable at best. I would think getting upset about it and going to guest relations a huge waste of time, even if you would gain a couple of FPs for your trouble.

Here's a thought. Perhaps get everyone FP+ for 7DMT, but try to schedule the two for you and your DD6 about 15 - 30 minutes after everyone else's. While the others in your party ride 7DMT, you could take her to an attraction that doesn't require FP+ in the area - Mickey's Philharmagic, the carousel, maybe small world if the line isn't long. When your family is done riding 7DMT, you could then go on and your DD6 could switch MB's with someone in your party who would like to ride 7DMT again, while the rest of your family, again, takes DD6 on something in the area that doesn't require FP+. Does that make sense? It's just a way to ensure you get to ride 7DMT and you aren't stressing out over whether the CM will grant you rider switch or not.

Because this makes too much sense! I've been going to WDW since 1972 and have never had occasion to complain about anything, or demand extra passes. This is through illness and young children (etc). I don't understand why people have to take things so difficult.

This just makes me laugh - it's on the internet, it must be true! Disney is king of disclaimers, and has a stable of lawyers at their beck and call. As PP have stated, as well, they don't specify how they do rider swap, so not sure you'd get anything but wasted time for your efforts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!