Rides for my condition

Firsttime101

Earning My Ears
Can y’all give me suggested rides for an adult with MS? My criteria is no spinning and no flips. I get dizzy fairly easily so any help is appreciated. Rides will be for Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood, and Animal Kingdom.

At MK, stay away from Astro Orbiter, Dumbo, and the Carousel. Buzz Lightyear pivots around a bit on its own, and can do more with the joystick. That might be rough? How are you with standard roller coasters? Gentle rides like It's a Small World, Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Pirates (has a drop, but mild), Jungle Cruise, and Haunted Mansion should be okay?

Can y’all give me suggested rides for an adult with MS? My criteria is no spinning and no flips. I get dizzy fairly easily so any help is appreciated. Rides will be for Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood, and Animal Kingdom.
the only ride that goes upside down is RNR so your good on that part, as fiar as spinning, Astro dumbo magic carpet the triceratops ride at AK A2S is more of a whip ride ( you can stand and watch it and see if it is something you can do before you go on

You might have problems on EE as this can have the feeling of going upside down ( it does not) and there are some turns I would not call it spinning

At MK, stay away from Astro Orbiter, Dumbo, and the Carousel. Buzz Lightyear pivots around a bit on its own, and can do more with the joystick. That might be rough? How are you with standard roller coasters? Gentle rides like It's a Small World, Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Pirates (has a drop, but mild), Jungle Cruise, and Haunted Mansion should be okay?
Thanks for the info. I still will take Dramamine but yea I can do the normal more gentle rides. I just don’t want to get sick.

In addition to what has been mentioned, I would use caution with Thunder Mountain which is jaring, as is Dinosaur. Toy story has a pretty guick turn around between scenes, that feels like a spin because it happens pretty quick, but it does not last but a second or so. Of course the drop at Tower of Terror is not a spin, but an up and down drop that can really mess with your head. For some reason I remember the figment ride makeing me motion sick, but I can't remember why or if it had spins? Don't go within a mile of Mission Space! ha ha.

When you say adult with MS do you mean motion sickness? I read it as multiple sclerosis, but dramamine wouldn’t help with that...

I would stay far away from Toy Story Mania. It doesn’t have height restrictions so I took my 15 month old on it and I was terrified he was going to get whiplash. Way too jerky and lots of spinning!

It doesn’t have flips or spinning but Soarin might be out if you’re sensitive to motion sickness. I get carsick and I was ok on it but I’ve read that others on here had issues.

DH gets motion sickness from FoP and Star tours but handles soarin with no problem. Not sure how sensitive you are, so it’s hard to say. What bothers one won’t bother someone else, but these 2 rides are the only ones that really bother him. My DS that gets very sick on curvy roads doesn’t have issues with any rides at WDW

When you say adult with MS do you mean motion sickness? I read it as multiple sclerosis, but dramamine wouldn’t help with that...

I too read it is multiple sclerosis but now I too am wondering if they meant motion sickness hopefully the OP will be back to confirm witch one they meant

I would stay far away from Toy Story Mania. It doesn’t have height restrictions so I took my 15 month old on it and I was terrified he was going to get whiplash. Way too jerky and lots of spinning!

It doesn’t have flips or spinning but Soarin might be out if you’re sensitive to motion sickness. I get carsick and I was ok on it but I’ve read that others on here had issues.
Multiple sclerosis is what I mean.

In addition to what has been mentioned, I would use caution with Thunder Mountain which is jaring, as is Dinosaur. Toy story has a pretty guick turn around between scenes, that feels like a spin because it happens pretty quick, but it does not last but a second or so. Of course the drop at Tower of Terror is not a spin, but an up and down drop that can really mess with your head. For some reason I remember the figment ride makeing me motion sick, but I can't remember why or if it had spins? Don't go within a mile of Mission Space! ha ha.
Will missions space green line make me sick?

Let me also ask if y’all know what queues are outside at the park as I cannot tolerate the heat for more than probably 15 minutes at a time. Heat makes my MS symptoms reappear. If you don’t want to list the rides one by one you can guess the percentage you think of outside queues vs inside queues. I have little kids too so the queues aren’t just for me.

Let me also ask if y’all know what queues are outside at the park as I cannot tolerate the heat for more than probably 15 minutes at a time. Heat makes my MS symptoms reappear. If you don’t want to list the rides one by one you can guess the percentage you think of outside queues vs inside queues. I have little kids too so the queues aren’t just for me.

If it were me that had your specific type of issues, I would go to YouTube and watch the walk through videos that people have put out. You can get a first hand look at the rides and their queues. I am a "get as much info as possible" type of person. I have found that those videos help much more then someone trying to explain it.

The following have all or a part of their queue outside, some only in the very busy seasons. Some of these may be at least partly shaded and some usually have relatively short lines. There may be more but this is what I've come up with.
MK - Buzz Lightyear, Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, It's a Small World
AK - Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, Flight of Passage, Kali River Rapids
HS - Tower of Terror, Rock-N-Roller coaster, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Slinky Dog Dash, Alien Saucers, Indiana Jones, Beauty & the Beast show
Epcot - Frozen, Journey into Imagination, the Seas with Nemo, Spaceship Earth

Since you can't tolerate heat for more than 15 minutes at a time, you probably should avoid visiting the parks when the outside temperature exceeds your comfort level. You can easily be in the heat for more than 15 minutes just walking around.

Even though there are rides with outside queues I feel Disney does a pretty decent job of trying to make them as cool as possible. Many of them are covered and some are outside only if the line is pretty long. Disney will sometimes have fans placed along the lines which help some. I agree that I would try to go during a time that the temperatures are lower. Summer is almost unbearable anyway but medical issues will compound it. As far as mission space, green, I see nothing that would make you sick but others may have a different opinion.

Yes, Like somone else said, I would strongly encourage you to plan your trip for a month where you think the temperatures will low enough for you. ( I have to do this.) Even if you only went to covered lines, it is often still hot and you also do a lot of traveling from attraction to attraction. Good luck!

Everyone has given great advice! I do have mild motion sickness issues & standing in heat causes me to pass out (vasovagal syncope), so I understand. These can be exasperated by other health issues... if I’m in the middle of an RA flare, for example, I’m much more sensitive to spinning... and heat 🤦🏻‍♀️

Rides that are always problems for me are heavily simulated:
* star tours
* smuggler’s run (I’ve not tried the newest ROTR, but plan to on my next trip!!)
* flight of passage

The rides I’ve noticed are problematic during flares, but fine during other times are:
* toy story mania (the rapid 1/2 spins can be rough)
* Buzz Lightyear space ranger spin (this one can be managed by not turning our vehicle much for shooting)
* soarin’ (it’s worse if sitting on the ends of the ride- middle is best for motion issues)
* slinky dog dash (which, by the way, is one of my very favorite rides- and the only one I would never ride without a FP because of the hot, long outdoor queue!)
* anything requiring 3D glasses (this only happens at Disney- where the glasses aren’t of good quality)

I’ve never tried mission space (even the green) or space mountain, because my sister felt so gross afterwards & we’re a lot alike! I normally still try things on my own, but not those two... they just weren’t worth the risk to me.

Good luck! I echo the thoughts of going during cooler months, if possible! & I hope you have a fantastic trip!!

My dad had MS and usually avoided rides....with one exception. For some reason, he absolutely loved "It's a Small World". He said that, to him, it would be worth the cost of getting on a plane, going to Disney World, ride "It's a Small World" once, and then fly home. Lol

He did enjoy attractions like "Hall of Presidents" and the like. Mostly, though, my dad truly just like to "people watch."

Oh. & the teacups. Blast the little teacups. They just spin too fast! Astro Orbiter was fine a few years ago, but probably would be a no-go at this point. I’m fine with other slow-spinning rides like dumbo, Aladdin’s carpet ride, alien swirling saucers, etc.

We’re all just so uniquely different! You’ll figure out pretty quickly what types of rides are pushing it for you 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts