Rise of Resistance line method poll

Preferred system for Rise of the Resistance?

• Current Standby System

Votes: 185 46.5%
  • FP+ system (expect FPs gone at 67 days and 5+ hour standby)

Votes: 98 24.6%
  • Standby only (expect 3+ hour average wait)

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Boarding pass lottery distributed evening before (requiring 2 day DHS commitment)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Pre-selling boarding passes, $50 per pass plus ticket required

Votes: 21 5.3%
  • Obtaining boarding pass when booking trip (encouraging booking way in advance)

Votes: 59 14.8%

• Total voters

havoc315

DIS Veteran
Apparently, Disney is surveying guests on their preferred method for Rise of Resistance: current boarding groups, FP+, and standby only. I think the survey fails by not spelling out the likely wait times and giving more alternatives. So... designed my own poll...

I'd prefer FP just because otherwise it is too hard to plan. With the current system I don't know if I can do HS in one day, or need to budget for two days (or hoppers--which add up for our group of 5) because of the boarding pass lottery. I also can't plan a nice resort ADR in the evening without being super worried about making it back for my 2 hour window.

I don't think FP would be gone at 67+ days--even FOP is available quite a bit earlier, especially at peak times. I also don't like that i have to wrestle with glitchy MDE in a time-sensitive way on my old phone for the new system--at least FP can be booked at my computer.

Standby only worked will for MFSR due to the high capacity and the fact that it was "one and done" for a lot of people. Standby only for ROTR would be a disaster in my view.

The last two options would never happen. Disney may charge for premium access outside of regular park hours (like they do with EMM) but they'd never charge a blanket fee for a single ride at all times. Not because I think they are altruistic, but because they'd have a real false advertising problem on their hands based on their marketing of the ride thus far. And as for getting a spot when you book a hotel, I foresee a lot of burner hotel rooms if that is the system, which isn't helpful for them in planning inventory.

I chose obtain boarding passes when booking the trip...I wish we could book both ADRs and Fastpasses the day we book our trips. Those of us that plan 9 months to a year in advance could rest easy, be rewarded for our early booking, plus Disney would be able to budget for the future based on current bookings. I know this will never happen for a variety of reasons, but I can dream!

I'd prefer FP just because otherwise it is too hard to plan. With the current system I don't know if I can do HS in one day, or need to budget for two days (or hoppers--which add up for our group of 5) because of the boarding pass lottery. I also can't plan a nice resort ADR in the evening without being super worried about making it back for my 2 hour window.

I don't think FP would be gone at 67+ days--even FOP is available quite a bit earlier, especially at peak times. I also don't like that i have to wrestle with glitchy MDE in a time-sensitive way on my old phone for the new system--at least FP can be booked at my computer.

Standby only worked will for MFSR due to the high capacity and the fact that it was "one and done" for a lot of people. Standby only for ROTR would be a disaster in my view.

The last two options would never happen. Disney may charge for premium access outside of regular park hours (like they do with EMM) but they'd never charge a blanket fee for a single ride at all times. Not because I think they are altruistic, but because they'd have a real false advertising problem on their hands based on their marketing of the ride thus far. And as for getting a spot when you book a hotel, I foresee a lot of burner hotel rooms if that is the system, which isn't helpful for them in planning inventory.

as to the last 2 options...

- buying a ticket is at least fair. Supply and demand, setting the price high enough so anyone willing to pay can ride it.
- as to when booking, a burner hotel room would only help Disney, still money in their pocket. But I’m guessing only guests willing to book at least 9 months in advance would be able to get boarding groups.

I do suspect any regular FP system would have all FPs gone by 67 days. FOP is often at 63-65 days. Star Wars is FAR more popular than Avatar, and FOP has much better capacity than ROTR. So unquestionably, ROTR would be worse than FOP.

I chose obtain boarding passes when booking the trip...I wish we could book both ADRs and Fastpasses the day we book our trips. Those of us that plan 9 months to a year in advance could rest easy, be rewarded for our early booking, plus Disney would be able to budget for the future based on current bookings. I know this will never happen for a variety of reasons, but I can dream!

this system could actually be best for Disney. Encourages people to book earlier, which will reduce the need for later discounts. (You can even make them forfeit their boarding pass if they later try to apply a discount).
It would eliminate the need for staffing for a huge early morning DHS rush.
Would make it easier for Disney to plan, project and control crowds.

The negative for Disney and guests: passes may be gone a good 9-10 months in advance. And for lots of potential visitors considering a trip 6 months in advance, it may be a disincentive if they already know they won’t get to do ROTR.

If it wasn't for BG's, I wouldn't have been able to ride it the couple of times I have. So I choose BGs. I am not standing in line for 5+ hrs, especially with a ride that this unreliable. Could you imagine you get in line, you've waited for 3 hrs, only for it to have a big breakdown and they have to dump the entire line? Oof

At least with BGs I can go on about my day and do whatever I want.

I'd be for the lottery if it was like the hamilton lottery. Enter either through a guest services pad or through MDE the day before between x and y time, get notification at the end of the day through email or MDE.

But it also puts a lot of faith that I don't really have in IT to work in a timely fashion.

Have separate lines at the turnstile for people who want to do RotR and for people who don't. Boarding passes will be issued to the guests as they enter DHS via the RotR line, first come first serve.

And how early will people be getting in line for this? An hour before park opening is pretty standard right now. So will you have to get there 2 hours early? 3? What happens when you are half way down the line & disney opens more turnstiles? Will people just arriving be able to just walk up to that thus jumping in front of people who were in line for hours?

I‘m not knocking your idea. I actually like the idea of just issuing a return time with admission. I’m just pointing out the pitfalls I anticipate.

I was there opening day... however, I personally refuse to get up at 5 o’clock in the morning to get on a ride. As much as I LOVE Star Wars, I would forgo this ride if it continues with the virtual boarding system. At least with fast pass distribution, I have a shot at getting on the ride at a time I would prefer (instead of arriving at the butt crack of dawn, just to get a boarding group, and then sitting around all day hoping to get my number called.) I’m sure everyone has their own opinion on this, but that is mine. 😁

I absolutely cannot imagine paying for a boarding pass. We are already paying $$$ just to get into the park. I'm not paying an additional $250 for our family to ride ONE ride.

that’s exactly the reason it would be extremely effective at managing the line.

problem now is— you have a ride that 30,000+ people want to ride per day, but under 10,000 can actually ride.

So need a system that feels “fair”... doesn’t upset guests too much, but still turns away 2/3rds of potential riders.

personally, I’d be willing to pay over a 5 hour line or 5 am wake up. But how much? I suspect most people would be willing to pay $10.... I suspect most people wouldn’t pay $200 per pass (though some might).

If it wasn't for BG's, I wouldn't have been able to ride it the couple of times I have. So I choose BGs. I am not standing in line for 5+ hrs, especially with a ride that this unreliable. Could you imagine you get in line, you've waited for 3 hrs, only for it to have a big breakdown and they have to dump the entire line? Oof

At least with BGs I can go on about my day and do whatever I want.
We had a great experience with BGs,but I know it is not for all Guests' "tastes". :)

We actually enjoyed the "excitement" of getting to DHS at 6:00 AM,waiting to be let in at 6:30 AM with the HUGE EXCITED MASSES and then feeling the excitement build until 7:00 AM and then the "euphoria" of the actual securing of a BG!

(Of course I realize we would not have enjoyed ANYTHING if we had not obtained a BG.)

We then hung around SWGE for a few hours while soaking in the atmosphere and then took the fun Flight to Epcot on Disney Skyliner to enjoy the Festival.

We found it fun to keep checking the App to see how far the cute little Droid had moved and to see the Droid "dancing" when we were finally called!(Because of downtime we were not called until 5:00 PM.)

We then took Skyliner back to DHS well within our 2 hour window.

There has never been anything like ROTR and I think it will be at least a year before demand lessens( The Cast Member blackout will have to be lifted at some point as well.) so I don't think there is any system that will make everybody happy,but we did,at least that one time, have a good experience with BGs.

how about the old paper FP system when you got to plan your day that day? I remember rushing to the machines and being so bummed when they were out of something. :rotfl:

Part of me likes making plans 60 days out and then again it was nice to get up and decide that day what we wanted to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter