Rise of Resistance line method poll

Preferred system for Rise of the Resistance?

• Current Standby System

Votes: 185 46.5%
  • FP+ system (expect FPs gone at 67 days and 5+ hour standby)

Votes: 98 24.6%
  • Standby only (expect 3+ hour average wait)

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Boarding pass lottery distributed evening before (requiring 2 day DHS commitment)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Pre-selling boarding passes, $50 per pass plus ticket required

Votes: 21 5.3%
  • Obtaining boarding pass when booking trip (encouraging booking way in advance)

Votes: 59 14.8%

• Total voters
Despite what many think, MOST locals live normal lives with normal jobs that we go off to every day, just like everyone else. Please don’t judge ‘locals’ by what see of the YouTubers. MOST locals would pursue a boarding pass the same way we do a FastPass+ when we are planning to head to the parks. MOST locals could not care less to try and steal all the boarding passes every day.

Well, I know plenty of non-youtuber locals that would definitely try quite often

Might not be "most" but definitely some that would give it a try ... And also those down there on vacation are more likely to try without have to get there early but can try from their hotel rooms

Well, I know plenty of non-youtuber locals that would definitely try quite often

Might not be "most" but definitely some that would give it a try ... And also those down there on vacation are more likely to try without have to get there early but can try from their hotel rooms
If there's no consequences of not going and not using it, I would try often

If there's no consequences of not going and not using it, I would try often

I imagine most locals with the ability to go whenever they want (within reason) would do this. For most people I would imagine they wouldn’t attempt just for fun, but because if they actually got a BG they would use it (but otherwise wouldn’t be going).

I think you're seriously underestimating the amount of people who would join a lottery just incase and then decide to go if they got a BG, because there's nothing to lose and little effort required.

You are making assumptions based on anecdotal data about the number of WDW locals who match this visit profile. Nearly all locals (I'm one of them) do not spend all their waking days visiting the parks; it just does not happen. You are basing your impression on an inside-the-bubble view of bloggers/vloggers that although it seems a huge number is just not all that many people as a percentage of the local population of AP holders or day visitors. Most normal locals have to work at normal jobs and have the opportunity to visit the parks maybe on the weekends or other days they have off work during the week. They do not care about trying to get a FP or Boarding Group every day of the week- they have to work those days.

I read all kinds of reports of people saying 'if I lived there I'd go every day' but the reality is you don't. You have errands to run, you're tired after work, etc.. I get the sense that it's a dream but day to day life still has to happen as well and it just isn't like that for MOST people

We heard exactly the same fear being spread when they finally opened up FP+ reservations to AP holders without a resort reservation and it came to absolutely nothing. Despite what you see on the Internet, most locals have normal lives and have to mow the lawn, and go to the grocery store or take kids to soccer practice, etc.. They do not live their lives focused totally on WDW every single day.

You are making assumptions based on anecdotal data about the number of WDW locals who match this visit profile. Nearly all locals (I'm one of them) do not spend all their waking days visiting the parks; it just does not happen. You are basing your impression on an inside-the-bubble view of bloggers/vloggers that although it seems a huge number is just not all that many people as a percentage of the local population of AP holders or day visitors. Most normal locals have to work at normal jobs and have the opportunity to visit the parks maybe on the weekends or other days they have off work during the week. They do not care about trying to get a FP or Boarding Group every day of the week- they have to work those days.

We heard exactly the same fear being spread when they finally opened up FP+ reservations to AP holders without a resort reservation and it came to absolutely nothing. Despite what you see on the Internet, most locals have normal lives and have to mow the lawn, and go to the grocery store or take kids to soccer practice, etc.. They do not live their lives focused totally on WDW every single day.

If Bob from Orlando usually visits WDW on weekends and a weekday here and there, and really loves ROTR, why would Bob not attempt to join the lottery every day (or most days) he already considered going to WDW?

The BG system is disconnected from everything else, meaning Bob can carry on with his regular plans and not have to choose a lottery attempt instead of something else. While he may not show up at DHS for 7 most weekends and the random weekdays he can go to the parks (because he likes ROTR, but not enough go through the effort to ride it most days he goes to WDW), I totally disagree that he wouldn’t be much more inclined to try and get a BG from home for those days.

The comparison to FP+ isn’t a great one, IMO. FP+ are not hard to come by the same way BG are, and are not required for an attraction. The need to grab one just incase isn’t there in the same way.

If BG were obtained from outside the parks in a lottery type system, everyone across the board would attempt it more, from Disney obsessed bloggers who live in Orlando, to once in a life time guests. There would have to be some sort of limit or requirement to be met. Just the people who are willing to get to the park by 7 AM can currently fill all the spaces.

If Bob from Orlando usually visits WDW on weekends and a weekday here and there, and really loves ROTR, why would Bob not attempt to join the lottery every day (or most days) he already considered going to WDW?

The BG system is disconnected from everything else, meaning Bob can carry on with his regular plans and not have to choose a lottery attempt instead of something else. While he may not show up at DHS for 7 most weekends and the random weekdays he can go to the parks (because he likes ROTR, but not enough go through the effort to ride it most days he goes to WDW), I totally disagree that he wouldn’t be much more inclined to try and get a BG from home for those days.

The comparison to FP+ isn’t a great one, IMO. FP+ are not hard to come by the same way BG are, and are not required for an attraction. The need to grab one just incase isn’t there in the same way.

If BG were obtained from outside the parks in a lottery type system, everyone across the board would attempt it more, from Disney obsessed bloggers who live in Orlando, to once in a life time guests. There would have to be some sort of limit or requirement to be met. Just the people who are willing to get to the park by 7 AM can currently fill all the spaces.

As a local I agree with this. I'd be one of those people. If I happened to get up right before 7 and either was off or didn't have to come in til later, I'd log in, and be like, oh, I got an early BG, guess I'll drive over to HS! Whereas now, I actually have to plan it a tad and make an effort to go.

And I've done that with FPs. I woke up one morning when either I was off or didn't need to be in til 4pm and looked at the app at HS (before the tier changes and SW) and was able to snag a SDD ToT and RnRC morning FP, and I was like, well, guess my morning will be spent at HS.

I think it's only fair to have to be in the park

I chose the current system. I like that it’s totally outside of FP. It feels like I’ve got the chance at 2 Tier 1 rides a day at DHS. It also fits my go with the flow personally. I plan Disney to the nth degree but only because I feel it allows me to get more for my money and have a better day in the parks. Other vacations I don’t plan anything other than generally knowing what I want to do. We get to each morning and decide where to go. I like that BGs inject a little spontaneity to an otherwise over scheduled day. If it means I will have to visit GET to deal with a conflict with something I’ve pre-booked, so be it. I’m also willing to give up an ADR for an amazing new ride. It fits my personality. But I understand that it doesn’t appeal so much to Uber planners.

The things I don’t like about it are how fast the BGs are going in the morning and the effect it’s having on RD. That makes things harder for everyone.

Why not remove the requirement that you have to be in the park for the 7am boarding group distribution? There is no real need to do that, as long as you can get to the ride within an hour (or maybe 2). Eliminating the in-park requirement would (1) relieve congestion at park opening, and (2) allow people--especially those who don't win the boarding group lottery--to sleep in and/or not waste their time.
It effectively both culls the heard from tourists (onsite & off) while allowing locals a fair shake to grab a BG
joining a bg from home is not a good idea. It will flood the system, crash the app, and people might change their mind taking a spot from someone who really wanted to go. Unless they charge for it in advance
Spoke to several people in the park my 2nd day waiting for BG selection time. Majority were indeed locals who had departed the park at least once (RL obligations) when holding a later boarding group

had mused what % of people have been giving up the ship on a daily basis. Assume their spots don’t go too waste’ as they should be absorbed by guests in latter BG or standby

It effectively both culls the heard from tourists (onsite & off) while allowing locals a fair shake to grab a BG

Spoke to several people in the park my 2nd day waiting for BG selection time. Majority were indeed locals who had departed the park at least once (RL obligations) when holding a later boarding group

had mused what % of people have been giving up the ship on a daily basis. Assume their spots don’t go too waste’ as they should be absorbed by guests in latter BG or standby
I was watching a vlog from DL and the girl said she actually cancelled her bg in the hopes someone else might be able to pick it up. I'm not sure if DL is reopening bg later (I don't think they are) I think more this person didn't really understand how the system works. But she is a vlogger and a frequent DL visitor, she picked up a BG cause she was there early to go meet Minnie Mouse and then got a later bg and decided to cancel it from the parking lot.

Yup, that happened to me I think last week it was? Had BG 55, there were a couple of breakdowns which delayed it, and I had to leave the park to get ready for work before my BG was called.

Yup, that happened to me I think last week it was? Had BG 55, there were a couple of breakdowns which delayed it, and I had to leave the park to get ready for work before my BG was called.
This has given me an idea. How about a backup-backup BG system, where you don't get an actual number but you're in line to get a canceled BG? Still hardly ideal or even convenient, but if there are really that many people canceling, this could be a sort of bonus BG for some people. Consolation prize: screenshot of Baby Yoda.

This has given me an idea. How about a backup-backup BG system, where you don't get an actual number but you're in line to get a canceled BG? Still hardly ideal or even convenient, but if there are really that many people canceling, this could be a sort of bonus BG for some people. Consolation prize: screenshot of Baby Yoda.

That's already effectively done with backup boarding groups. If lots of people cancel or fail to show up, then they call the backup groups faster, they call more backup groups. Don't think we've ever had a situation where they got through ALL the backup groups.
Look at it this way, the first 20 backup groups are backup groups. The remaining backup groups are the backup-backup groups.

That's already effectively done with backup boarding groups. If lots of people cancel or fail to show up, then they call the backup groups faster, they call more backup groups. Don't think we've ever had a situation where they got through ALL the backup groups.
Look at it this way, the first 20 backup groups are backup groups. The remaining backup groups are the backup-backup groups.

They've gotten through all the groups (including backups) several times

I'd be happy with the current system transformed into a morning-of lottery. (It is a de facto lottery anyway). Let people signup for boarding passes as they tap in before opening, but don't assign boarding passes until opening and assign them randomly for all those who signed up before opening. People joining boarding groups after opening go into the next BG available after the lottery.

Basically the same as what is done now, but not as frenzied and people with tech issues will have time to sort it out.

Disney does this for DVC event sign-ups and I think it works pretty well.

I'd be happy with the current system transformed into a morning-of lottery. (It is a de facto lottery anyway). Let people signup for boarding passes as they tap in before opening, but don't assign boarding passes until opening and assign them randomly for all those who signed up before opening. People joining boarding groups after opening go into the next BG available after the lottery.

Basically the same as what is done now, but not as frenzied and people with tech issues will have time to sort it out.

That's actually not a bad idea. Instead of turning it into a fast-finger test, or an app reliability test...
Let people enter the lottery as they tap in to the park, but then random assignment of boarding group.

Interesting! How would this work for families/groups, though, does one person sign up for the whole group?

I think the current system is best not just for me but also for Disney. Here's why:

I'm not a Disney person. I'm a Star Wars fan. I have no interest in spending 10 days or the corresponding amount of money at WDW. But SWGE is getting me into the park.

Conversely, seems like most folks who want a FP+ system are already Disney people. They're committed; they've bought into the system. Disney already has them for long-term stays, APs, DVC, what have you. If they're planners to the degree that they prefer their ADRs and FPs to the uncertainty of trying to ride ROTR, so be it. Disney doesn't need to lure them.

But when Disney lures me in, I'm the one who's going to drop cash on all those beautiful Star Wars souvenirs. And maybe my three kids will get a taste of Disney that will bring them back someday. That's good marketing.

I know we may not get to ride ROTR on our short visit, but I like knowing that we have a good chance. When my family went to MK a few years ago, we all had a strong sense that it was really intended for Disneyphiles and wealthy people, not people like us. Right now, I don't have that sense about SWGE, and I think that's a smart move on Disney's part.

I absolutely love the current system. Got to HS super early and had a blast waiting for park opening surrounded by like minded guests. It was quite a festive atmosphere. Got our BG and went on to have a fabulous morning in HS. Standby for a few, breakfast, people watching

rode ROTR, had a cocktail, used some fast passes, had a late lunch & some cocktails. Shopped. Went home & crashed.

A perfect Disney day.

Love the current boarding system. It gives EVERYONE including day trippers a FAIR chance at getting on ROTR. The current Fast Pass system with privileges of advanced booking for the chosen few, and it’s getting further and further out depending on your type of reservation, needs to change. Too many people book phantom advance fast passes, never show up, and block out people who are actually in the parks wanting to go on a ride. Would like to see Fast Passes only available on a daily basis -no advance passes for any rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter