Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short answer: The first thing you said.

Longer Answer, as I explain it to my child:

When you have a digital ticket or a printed ticket with a barcode on it (if it doesn't have a barcode, you have to go to the ticket booth to exchange), the first time you enter the park through a turnstile they scan that ticket, take it from you, and give you a little cardstock ticket with a barcode on it. That barcode is the thing you scan into the app, scan at fastpass machines, scan to get into the park, etc. Typically, they also take your picture so that your likeness is attached to that ticket (to prevent you from buying a 5 day ticket, using 3 days, and giving the other 2 days to someone else). That ticket becomes your friend for the duration of your visit, and you carry it around. However, you can also scan the ticket into your Disneyland App, and then use the app to display your ticket for entry, or for getting fast passes, or for scanning into fast pass attractions to use your fast pass.

Thanks - this helped me, too! Question:

Can you tell me if you buy your tickets from the app itself, are you able to scan/load your ticket right away at home, and link your family's tickets together?

Or do you still have you exchange them for a separate card on your first park day, and then do all of your scanning and linking as you've described at the park?

Also, I have teens with phones that are going to try to help get BGs for ROTR. Do they need to create their own accounts and then they scan the tickets I have loaded? If so, can they do this at home, or do they have to wait until day 1 after entering the park? If not, should they just log in to my account, and we all compete for BGs using one account?

Thanks!

By "suspended" I assume you mean you just have the app loaded?

It means I have the app opened to the main screen, then go back to the phone home screen (app icons) before I open it again (which just wakes the app from sleep/unsuspends). As opposed to closing the app, and killing it off via the task manager.

Another way to put that is - when I re-open the app I do not see the app splash screen with the fireworks, as it's already loaded past that earlier.

I'm an iOS developer and re-opening an app is pretty common point when an application might do some data refreshing.

Park at Tropicana. When. You pull in you have to stop at valet right at the beginning. She can jump out and cross harbor at the light. That won't cost you any time really especially if you're coming from the south. It will save you a ton of time.

I appreciate those of you explaining the iPhone/Android app distinction. Just to clarify for those reading along, it seems like the need for very precise timing is mostly relevant for those using the Android app. Is that fair to say?

I (and most of my friends) have iPhones, but I do have an Android friend trying for a BG this Saturday, so I will pass along this info to her.

The need for precise timing is important for all! The official spreadsheet says the normal boarding groups are gone in a minute for each day, but it's been more like 30 seconds at times. Also it's better if you can get an earlier boarding group to avoid later possible breakdowns, so the earlier you are joining the better.

So it doesn't matter if you are using iPhone or Android, try to check for boarding groups as soon after they release them as possible. It is a great idea to try at home at some point before you go just so you can try out whatever plan you have.

The last few pages of this thread give some precise advice based on Android or iPhones. This link may also help: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/star-wars-rise-resistance-disneyland-strategy-guide/

:wizard:

I've read this sooo many times! I think I have it memorized.

One thing I'm curious about is strategically placing ourselves in an area that has good reception, but also has easy access to the manual BG machines (in case of an app crash). Before official rope drop, everyone is cordoned off, so where should we stand if we want to be closer to the manual machines?

Thanks - this helped me, too! Question:

Can you tell me if you buy your tickets from the app itself, are you able to scan/load your ticket right away at home, and link your family's tickets together?

If you buy your tickets through the app you will NAME THEM immediately and they will be in your account. They can all be a "party" together.

Or do you still have you exchange them for a separate card on your first park day, and then do all of your scanning and linking as you've described at the park?

They will give you a physical card but it will be the same as what you have scanned and already linked. So no difference. They will take your picture that first morning, but you have to do that no matter how you buy the tickets.

Also, I have teens with phones that are going to try to help get BGs for ROTR. Do they need to create their own accounts and then they scan the tickets I have loaded? If so, can they do this at home, or do they have to wait until day 1 after entering the park? If not, should they just log in to my account, and we all compete for BGs using one account?

My recommendation would be to have everyone log into the same Disney account through the app. They can all download the app and you can help them all be signed in, in advance. I would show them where they are going from the home screen and what buttons to push. But I pick one person (probably you) to make all the MaxPass reservation or they will all end up with different times or partial groups.

Thanks!

See my responses in blue above.

I've read this sooo many times! I think I have it memorized.

One thing I'm curious about is strategically placing ourselves in an area that has good reception, but also has easy access to the manual BG machines (in case of an app crash). Before official rope drop, everyone is cordoned off, so where should we stand if we want to be closer to the manual machines?
I would not try to use the machines, on Sunday, the rope dropped early (I don’t know when and believe it has done so each day since ROTR opening) and the lines for the FP machines in Tomorrowland were at least 40 people. With as fast as the regular BGs fill, I’d guess at most 3 or 4 people get BGs with the machines, one person per machine, maybe two people per machine if someone was really fast & so was the next person. The tickets can only be fed in so fast, though someone reported here earlier seeing someone feed 8 passes and get BGs for all in less than a minute.

Considering where the Tropicana is located, I wouldn't waste extra time using the passenger drop-off area at DL and having to maneuver through Anaheim traffic for additional valuable minutes. I would drive straight to the Tropicana. Your daughter can hop out of the car the moment you roll to a stop in the parking lot/check-in area and she can head to the parks while you get checked in. I would say the difference in the walk between that and the drop-off area for a young healthy person is at most 2 minutes.

Exactly. Here's a picture from Google Maps to demonstrate what @longtimedisneylurker is talking about:
The long blue line is the walking path using the cross walk that is right at the BWPPI hotel. When you exit the drop-off/pick-up area, you can't immediately make a left turn in order to head back to the Tropicana. You'd have to turn right onto Harbor Blvd and continue until you get to Disney Way and then make a U-turn in order to get back to the Tropicana.

Also, just to be on the safe side of things, you might want to call the Tropicana before your trip in order to confirm that you can park your car in their lot at that early hour when you're checking in. It would really stink if you had to waste time going to the Toy Story lot and all of that if Tropicana doesn't let you park there until the official 3-4pm check in time later in the day.

You are all beyond helpful and deserve lots of pixie dust!

One more question: Should I purchase our tickets through the DL app on my phone? Does that buy me anything? Or could this hold us up? Would it be better for each of us to have something separate to scan?

1. Buy your tickets ahead of time BEFORE you get to Disneyland. Either through the app on your phone or directly through the Disneyland website.
2. If you buy them through the website, you can link the tickets to your account on the Disneyland phone app. This can all be done before you arrive at the parks.
3. If possible, have everybody in your group download the DL app to their phone ahead of time.
4. You can have everybody login to the DL app using one login ID or separate unique login IDs. It's your choice.
5. The reason you want as many people in your group with the DL app on their phone is to increase your odds of getting a boarding group. So 3 people logged into the DL app on their smart phones w/their tickets linked (requires a DL login ID to do that) means better odds than only 1 person in your group doing this. That's why on YouTube videos, you see packs of people all standing around with literally EVERY PERSON looking at his/her own phone.

I was finally up early enough to play along at home today, lol. I have an iPhone 6s, and on home WiFi so of course that probably made a difference. I launched the app about 8:57, and sat and stared at the “find out more” screen until my phone showed it was 9:00. Was just about to click on my status when “join a boarding group” button turned orange. I’m guessing that is the ideal situation when in the parks? And if it doesn’t turn orange, you should click on “my status”?

It means I have the app opened to the main screen, then go back to the phone home screen (app icons) before I open it again (which just wakes the app from sleep/unsuspends). As opposed to closing the app, and killing it off via the task manager.

Another way to put that is - when I re-open the app I do not see the app splash screen with the fireworks, as it's already loaded past that earlier.

I'm an iOS developer and re-opening an app is pretty common point when an application might do some data refreshing.
Thanks. That is what I thought. :thumbsup2

Exactly. Here's a picture from Google Maps to demonstrate what @longtimedisneylurker is talking about:
The long blue line is the walking path using the cross walk that is right at the BWPPI hotel. When you exit the drop-off/pick-up area, you can't immediately make a left turn in order to head back to the Tropicana. You'd have to turn right onto Harbor Blvd and continue until you get to Disney Way and then make a U-turn in order to get back to the Tropicana.

Also, just to be on the safe side of things, you might want to call the Tropicana before your trip in order to confirm that you can park your car in their lot at that early hour when you're checking in. It would really stink if you had to waste time going to the Toy Story lot and all of that if Tropicana doesn't let you park there until the official 3-4pm check in time later in the day.
View attachment 468871

Another reason to just go directly to the Tropicana is the whole drop-off thing and make a U-turn can really take time. Based on traffic, timing of lights, having to wait at the light at the cross-walk for people to cross, and then finally get to the Tropicana...that could take upwards of 10 minutes. Then if you figure 15 min to check in, park your car, store your luggage...followed by 5 min to walk to the security bag check, maybe 15 min or more to get through the security bag check...and now you're looking at 45 min have passed from the time that you dropped your family member off to when you are reunited in line at the Esplanade.

AND if they open the main gate 1 hour ahead of rope drop (like I think they did today?) instead of 30 min beforehand (like they did on Saturday), then you might get separated. Of course, this is all totally over-the-top detailed and anal retentive, but heck, we're on a 150+ page thread all about how to get on ONE ride, so we're all in this together, right? And you need to increase your odds whatever way you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!