Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're going to be going more for the "let's have a great experience" than "how many rides can we cram in a day", but we are all very, very excited!!

I think prioritizing "let's have a great experience" over the "how many rides can we cram in a day" is the smart move since the latter only infrequently leads to the former. Have a great first trip!

For a first timer, I am not missing Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and am a little bummed Haunted Mansion will be closed, along with Grizzly Peak. I plan to ride the Falcon as many times as is practical, and to fastpass the heck out of California Adventure the one day we're there. I'll be shocked if my young ones can make it three days with as much as we have in store for them, though. They're lazy couch kids, not lying. I may just shove sugar down their mouths. I used to walk 2 miles to get to the bus stop when I was a kid, then another 45 minute ride to school. And in the 110 afternoon sun it was up like 2 small hills, 2 moderates ones, and I think 3 holy cow this is terrible (and at the end) kind of hills. I really am that cliche. My kids just don't have that so we will see how this goes. Boy is 7 and girl is 4. She is braver than he is. I think we're going to be going more for the "let's have a great experience" than "how many rides can we cram in a day", but we are all very, very excited!!

Sounds like you're going to have a great trip. Our kids were pretty much that age during our last trip to Disneyland. What I thought would be "let's have a great experience" became "how many rides can we cram in a day" at their insistence.

Have fun, and hope you are able to get on ROTR!

Got reservations to build a droid and to get a drink in the cantina, both in the late afternoon next Tuesday. I guess it would just be silly to cancel the reservations, but I am wondering if I am able to get a BG that morning, and if it overlaps with the reservations, how I might handle it. Not honoring the reservations costs a little scratch, but I guess if I think of it as the cost of getting on the ride, IDK.

ETA, also if I am successful on Sunday in getting on ROR then maybe I'll not be so anxious about it on Tuesday.
If you think your boarding group time will overlap with your reservations, go to Oga's and Droid Depot a little earlier and let them know. We had Oga's reservations at the same time and they told us to make the boarding pass the priority and to come back anytime after. They were extremely helpful.

I'll just add my two cents to the Android/iPhone differences. In preparation for our trip, I practiced from home a couple mornings and figured out that for my Android Galaxy S10, it worked best to open the app fresh right before/at the hour. I discovered that using my smart watch clock with the second hand worked well.

Today we got to the DLP for our last day. We had to leave around 3, so I knew we couldn't get a high BG. We were in the gates by about 8:40 for a 9:00 opening. We went towards Tomorrowland. They finally rope dropped about 8:55 to disperse the crowds. Even in the rope drop crowd, I had good signal (AT&T). When the rope dropped, we went towards Space Mountain, but I saw that there was a big open area with benches between Space and the Launch Bay. We just hung out there until after BG release. I was watching the seconds on my watch. At about 2-3 seconds before 9, I opened the app and clicked learn more. As soon as I did that the button went from gray to red. I clicked instantly and ended up getting BG 3 for my party of 4. I was shocked since I knew the BGs often start at 10-11.

We got called at 9:14 to ride with the window until 11:14. We got in line ~9:30 and were off at 10:11. Amazing ride. Easily all of our favorite. I had a smile on my face the whole time. That hasn't happened in a while at DL.

Got reservations to build a droid and to get a drink in the cantina, both in the late afternoon next Tuesday. I guess it would just be silly to cancel the reservations, but I am wondering if I am able to get a BG that morning, and if it overlaps with the reservations, how I might handle it. Not honoring the reservations costs a little scratch, but I guess if I think of it as the cost of getting on the ride, IDK.

ETA, also if I am successful on Sunday in getting on ROR then maybe I'll not be so anxious about it on Tuesday.

I have the same dilemma for when we go in March. What I've decided to do is if we do snag a boarding group and IF it overlaps with our Oga's Cantina reservation or with our droid build reservation time, I'll just go to that location and tell them and see if they can cancel the reservation or reschedule it without a penalty. I'd swear I saw somebody report something about that several pages ago here on this thread.

I have the S9 and it seems to vary for me. Sometimes it will open right back and other times, it will start over with the fireworks. There doesn't seem to be any reason.

I work on a mobile development team. While I am an iOS engineer, I hear from complaints from the Android developers often about Samsung devices because Samsung implements a lot of custom behavior in their fork of Android. One that I am aware of is the operating system being way more aggressive at killing applications in order to save battery. In iOS when an app is put into the background it can’t really execute anything (without special background permissions like GPS, VoIP, etc) so there isn’t really any battery savings from closing suspended apps. It is a different story on Android.

We got called at 9:14 to ride with the window until 11:14. We got in line ~9:30 and were off at 10:11. Amazing ride. Easily all of our favorite. I had a smile on my face the whole time. That hasn't happened in a while at DL.

They might be changing that 2hr window soon. They just did it for DHS and when I was there on opening weekend for Sunday my return window was only 1hr...make sure you read how long your return window is as soon as you get your BG...

I work on a mobile development team. While I am an iOS engineer, I hear from complaints from the Android developers often about Samsung devices because Samsung implements a lot of custom behavior in their fork of Android. One that I am aware of is the operating system being way more aggressive at killing applications in order to save battery. In iOS when an app is put into the background it can’t really execute anything (without special background permissions like GPS, VoIP, etc) so there isn’t really any battery savings from closing suspended apps. It is a different story on Android.
Maybe true, but been using Samsung Note 10+ and S10 and both have been outperforming the iphones in our group. The Max11 has been a close runner to the Samsung a few times and i think it probably on same level as I was the more experienced user with the buttons. We had quite a few in our group that got to the final 'error' message of already in a group

They might be changing that 2hr window soon. They just did it for DHS and when I was there on opening weekend for Sunday my return window was only 1hr...make sure you read how long your return window is as soon as you get your BG...

I thought I saw some people reporting a two hour window still depending on when they were called?

Personally not a fan of them shrinking the window. I get why they are probably do it. Doesn't make it happier. But lets just give a hypothetical scenario here. Lets say you've been in line for Soarin for a while and your now in the main building. Now the BG comes up right as you're riding. But due to the fact Soarin has never had great cell service in my experience you don't know so you don't leave the line. So you go ride Soarin' and then meander on out. There's about half of the 1 hour window right there. Now you got to get all the way back over to Galaxy's Edge which means rescanning into another park. And lets be real sometimes the lines to get into DL even not in the morning are not small. And there's another minimum 10 minute walk once your through the gates.

Oh and if your like me and have a mobility device. Have fun! Cause everyone likes to cut you off without realizing they are doing so and it can take you twice as long to get from A to B.

So there's almost all of your window right there just to get from point on ride to ROTR. And not everyone can move fast.

I just really don't like it because there are spots in the park with dead zones or close to being dead (looking at you Indiana Jones). And if you don't realize your BG is being called and it takes longer to walk for you then the average person. You could accidentally miss the window without meaning to.

Its just if your in line for something else and don't get the notification immediately this could really screw you over.

I have a DAS for Disneyland. When we went on Saturday 1/18, we were in Boarding group 84. We were called about 4:45 in the afternoon. I asked about the DAS as I went up to the ride and was directed to the fastpass line. I went to scan and it was turning blue. I was then asked if I had gotten a return time which I had not. I did not know I needed one for this. Instead of getting a return time, we got in the regular line as we did not want to now have to wait even longer for a return time. The line moved pretty consistently, so it was actually ok for me, and it only took about 30-35 minutes. This past Saturday, I had a much lower boarding group and saw the line looked less backed up than last week, so I just got in the regular line with my boarding pass, and was on in about 20-25 minutes. So honestly, I am still not 100% sure what the DAS process is for the new ride.
I don't even think Disney knows the DAS process either lol. Outside of the fact that all riders need a boarding group to get on. When I initially got a boarding group at WDW. I went to a guest services kiosk to ask if I would need a return time for ROTR. They said it will depend on the ride CM's. So when I got there, I asked if I would need a return time, and they said no b/c it would've held the DAS up for much of the day. So they just scanned us into the fastpass entrance then we got on pretty fast since no one was in that line. I honestly think it's because not many DAS users have done the ride yet.

I don't even think Disney knows the DAS process either lol. Outside of the fact that all riders need a boarding group to get on. When I initially got a boarding group at WDW. I went to a guest services kiosk to ask if I would need a return time for ROTR. They said it will depend on the ride CM's. So when I got there, I asked if I would need a return time, and they said no b/c it would've held the DAS up for much of the day. So they just scanned us into the fastpass entrance then we got on pretty fast since no one was in that line. I honestly think it's because not many DAS users have done the ride yet.

When I rode in WDW they just scanned my band to confirm the DAS. They didn't make me grab a return time and come back.

Honestly without an established standby that should be the procedure of not getting a return. Because by Disney's own system return times are supposed to be based on whatever the current standby time is. There is no established standby since the ride doesn't have a normal standby. And the only times they bypass the wait time in my experience is using a visual gauge (talking about character M&Gs on occasion). Which you can't do with ROTR queue. It doesn't make sense to get a return for ROTR since there is no way to actually gauge what the normal queue wait time is.

Re: DAS & ROTR -
I read somewhere (can't remember right now where I read this, so that's not very helpful!) that DAS guests need both a boarding group and a DAS time in order to get on ROTR. So you have to do the whole "click and pray in the Jedi temple" thing at park opening with the rest of humanity. And then when your boarding group is called, you go to the DAS kiosk in Galaxy's Edge (I have no idea yet where this is because I haven't been to Galaxy's Edge yet) and tell them what you need.

It sounds like what DAS guests are being told in the park varies a bit. I'm going to email Disneyland to inquire because somebody in our group will have a DAS pass because of a disability. I'll report back in this thread once I have more info from DL.

Re: DAS & ROTR -
I read somewhere (can't remember right now where I read this, so that's not very helpful!) that DAS guests need both a boarding group and a DAS time in order to get on ROTR. So you have to do the whole "click and pray in the Jedi temple" thing at park opening with the rest of humanity. And then when your boarding group is called, you go to the DAS kiosk in Galaxy's Edge (I have no idea yet where this is because I haven't been to Galaxy's Edge yet) and tell them what you need.

It sounds like what DAS guests are being told in the park varies a bit. I'm going to email Disneyland to inquire because somebody in our group will have a DAS pass because of a disability. I'll report back in this thread once I have more info from DL.
Yes, when asked Disney is very clear DAS holders need a boarding group. And yes, the click and pray at park opening is a real thing lol. So far it seems like both WDW and DL have the same rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter