RIV - Tower Studio VS Deluxe Studio

Can_Dannn

Mouseketeer
Need to hear the reviews, pro's/con's of each and why one is better
We are contemplating buying additional points at RIV so we can stay in Deluxe Studios, but wonder if we will be comfy in the Tower Studios just the same and avoid more points

Tower is small and includes only the Pull down Murphy bed, Only sink is in the bathroom.

I am booked in one for January as it will be a solo trip and want to try. Not sure I’d stay in one otherwise.

Also, the smaller Tower studio, of which there are only 24, has a two-person occupancy limit. Moreover, if you purchase to usually reserve the Tower studio, you may face disappointment as those rooms have already developed an 11-month reservation problem, where they fill at times within moments after the 11-month reservation window opens.

You can find walk-throughs by searching for Tower studios and the regular Riviera studios on YouTube (standard and preferreds studios are the same size and have the same internal make-up).

Last edited:
Also, the smaller Tower studio, of which there are only 24, has a two person occupancy limit. Moreover, if you purchase to usually reserve the Tower studio, you may face disappointment as those rooms have already developed an 11-month reservation problem, where they fill at times within moments after the 11-month reservation window opens.

Yes - we know this but are usually the people who book at the first minute possible at 11 month mark. We just bought in Feb and have not stayed but just curious. A bit of a shock with the higher point charts now that the honey-mood of owning DVC has gone away. Regardless, we love having this and planning things constantly. If we want to stay in DS, we will need more points for sure.

If you’re a Len Testa fan (Unofficial Guide, Disney Dish podcast)-he reports that the tower studios are the single worst value in Disney property.

I wouldn't argue that - we toured the rooms before we bought - they are very tight rooms.
2021 point charts show they actually went up by 4 points (for 4 night stay in Nov 2021, it's 52 points) - that's a bit shocking.

If you’re a Len Testa fan (Unofficial Guide, Disney Dish podcast)-he reports that the tower studios are the single worst value in Disney property.
To a cash reservation guest, like most of Len’s readers, they make absolutely no sense.(I can stay in CBR for 1/3 the price and If you are in Aruba you can be closer to Riviera’s Skyliner station than Riviera guests.)

To a DVC points owner single/couple, they can be an occasional reasonable point option. (Do I wish every point chart was like OKW and BWV...absolutely, but that’s not reality)

Higher points make sense:
  1. BRAND new resort
  2. Location to Epcot and DHS
  3. SKYLINER access directly

1. BRAND new resort

Nah, the higher points are purely a result of timing. BWV was the second DVC resort, in the 1990s. Disney didn't really know what they had. New resorts with high point values (even Poly, which was renovation of 1970s buildings) is purely inflation.

Nah, the higher points are purely a result of timing. BWV was the second DVC resort, in the 1990s. Disney didn't really know what they had. New resorts with high point values (even Poly, which was renovation of 1970s buildings) is purely inflation.

All point charts for new resorts in future will be like RIV (as will dues).
We purchased a 100pt contract in Feb2020 just to get our feet wet - we always planned on buying more. Now that we're planning things out, we can do 2-3 trips / year (3-4 nights each), staying only once at RIV in a tower studio with our 100pt contact. So obviously we're going to need more to stay there more often.

All point charts for new resorts in future will be like RIV (as will dues).
We purchased a 100pt contract in Feb2020 just to get our feet wet - we always planned on buying more. Now that we're planning things out, we can do 2-3 trips / year (3-4 nights each), staying only once at RIV in a tower studio with our 100pt contact. So obviously we're going to need more to stay there more often.

Well, yes. But it's important not to view points being based on new as in "just built" but more as a factor of timing of the build. That points chart will be in place for 50 years, even if the wall sconces get banged up, the cabinets have bad hinges, or there are dents in walls.

I wouldn't argue that - we toured the rooms before we bought - they are very tight rooms.
2021 point charts show they actually went up by 4 points (for 4 night stay in Nov 2021, it's 52 points) - that's a bit shocking.

That change for 2021 is the result of a change made for all WDW resorts beginning that year, in that points were increased for the fall season and lowered for the period from April to mid-Aug. DVC is allowed to do seasonal shifts of points due to changes in demand as long as total points applicable to the resort remain the same. That fall change was actually long overdue because fall had grown to the highest demand season of the year, making the rest of the year look like a slow off-season. One thing to be aware of is that you could see another such shifting of points from fall to other seasons in the near future, such as in 2022, because more of a change may be needed and DVC is limited to an annual change of no more than 20%, higher or lower, per night.

You mention that you do booking right at 11-months out at 8 a.m. and thus can deal with the Tower Studio excess demand that is developing. Be aware that Riviera is still in its early stages of being sold and has already developed an 11-month issue for those Tower Studios. Based on prior history of other resorts that have some classes of rooms with an 11-month issue and based on how early in the sale process a problem was first seen, you should expect that by the time Riviera sells out, the 11-month issue for the Tower studios is likely to be extreme and year-round, similar to the AKV value studios where the majority of those who are online right at 8 a.m. at 11-months out In fact get nothing because the winners are simply those whose computers communicate fastest with Disney's computers right at 8 a.m.

winners are simply those whose computers communicate fastest with Disney's computers right at 8 a.m.

I will buy the fastest computer in the world - even faster than the fastest computer...it'll be great - really great (do I sound like DJT) :teeth:

Seriously though, yes I understand that fully.

We stayed in a tower studio, the best one ever as it was highest floor and faced the skyliner (and not the parking lot view that the other two tower rooms face on each floor). Since it was only one night no kitchen sink wasn’t an issue. We agreed we liked the room and the bed. We did purchase 50 points. We never got a chance to use a preferred studio as our trip was for this week.😢😢😢

1. BRAND new resort
How long before Skyliner will be operating again? They won't be able to operate it if they treat it like a ride and have to sanitize each Gondola after a trip.

How long before Skyliner will be operating again? They won't be able to operate it if they treat it like a ride and have to sanitize each Gondola after a trip.
I'm sure it will be up and running when resorts open
They need to move people around the properties, so they will need it up.
I can see them off loading the passengers, having a cleaning person hop on, clean, and have it ready to board again before leaving that station
I think it will operate as normal

I'm sure it will be up and running when resorts open
They need to move people around the properties, so they will need it up.
I can see them off loading the passengers, having a cleaning person hop on, clean, and have it ready to board again before leaving that station
I think it will operate as normal
They are going to have to stop the line for each emptying gondola to have enough time to sanitize them.

They are going to have to stop the line for each emptying gondola to have enough time to sanitize them.

I don't think they will - there is enough time from when the car moves from unloading to loading to clean appropriately. Or they will make everyone use hand sanitizer before getting on a car.
I'm not worried what so ever that it will not be running as normal
WDW cannot function without adequate transportation

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter