River Country Today

I've been back on the hike/bike trails going to WL. It is so overgrown that you really can't see much. The best view is from the water. If you really want to get "as close as possible", rent one of the Sea Sprite boats from the Fort marina and go for a cruise.

j

Thanks all. Guess I will pass. I thought there was an area where you can look over a fence that people were still allowed at. I won’t be risking getting kicked out, that’s for sure.

These are great pics, thank you for posting! We've been there to peek in a few times over the years. It makes me sad to see. Many of the only good memories of my childhood were at Disney in the 70's and early 80's, RC especially. The tube ride was a blast! My father had a game going with all of us kids to see who would be the last one left. We were probably not the best behaved but it was fun! I can remember him holding onto a branch around the bend and giving my tube a good kick down the rapids, plus dueling it out in that final pool over the fall at the end. He's gone five years and seeing RC in this condition makes it especially sad but apropos of all of the lost years between.

Lucille just sent me an article from The Knot about new Fairy Tale Weddings locations at WDW. They say that besides the Wedding Pavilion and MK locations they are or will be offered at Tree Of Life in AK, Chinese Theater in DHS, and THE PINES in Ft. Wilderness. According to them The Pines will be a 750 ACRE site ( Yes you read that right 750 ACRES, about the same size as Ft W according to AllEars.net ) with views out onto Bay Lake.
This article has left me wondering if this could be plans for River country property

Interesting, Mike. I've been wondering what new theme would fit between WL and the Fort without feeling out of place, but something as generic as "The Pines" might just work.

j

Interesting, Mike. I've been wondering what new theme would fit between WL and the Fort without feeling out of place, but something as generic as "The Pines" might just work.

j

Yes, Teamubr, true but if it's in that WL-FW slot, 750 acres sounds AWFULLY big to my ignorant ear. Just sayin'.

Bama Ed

Ed I agree that 750 Acres seem a bit large as a place dedicated to Wedding ceremonies. When she first read it to me I asked about that and she read it to me again. Then she handed me her phone and I read it 3 times and it says 750 Acres. If the dropped a decimal point and meant 7 &1/2 Acres that would if my memory serves me just about right

I think the reporter for the knot news has some skewed info. While I read the article, it doesn't specifically say that they are building anything for weddings.

But what struck me as odd was that it says it includes a view of the Seven Seas Lagoon. If I'm not mistaken, the Seven Seas Lagoon is not a backdrop for The Fort as it is on Bay Lake :confused3

But what struck me as odd was that it says it includes a view of the Seven Seas Lagoon. If I'm not mistaken, the Seven Seas Lagoon is not a backdrop for The Fort as it is on Bay Lake :confused3
Agreed.

This sounds more like a description of the existing wedding chapel by the GF. That would be on 7 Seas.

j

That water slide was crazy fast - I thought I was going to fly out of it lol. And the water at the end was really deep. After that, I stuck to the raft ride, which was perfect! And you could go down together, it wasn't too fast or had any fear of getting hurt if you crashed into each other, so my hubby and I would hold on and go down together.

"Finally, the company has also opened its pine forest—750 acres worth

So how big of a wedding and pavilion would you have to have to use up almost 1 1/2 square miles? 1 square mile would only be 640 acres. This would be almost 1.5 miles by 1.5 miles.

I think the reporter for the knot news has some skewed info.

Got the information direct from a bus driver so it has to be true!:lmao::lmao:

They say Magic Kingdom is 100-150 acres so this would be 5 times the size of MK?

Is it like a conservation thing? Not tearing down River Country and the island?

Too much $ to do it the way they wouldn't get fined?

It would just cost money which they were not willing to spend I figure. Also, if you want something covered up, what better way to do it than to let Mother Nature take care of it? If they had bulldozed it it would have taken longer to grow over. I figure they have plans for that location somewhere down the road and didn't want to spend the money to clear it until they knew they were ready to develop it at the same time.

Unless there was some immediate reason like safety or maybe bad show its just not going to get into the yearly construction budget.

Generally the money to tear everything down would be part of the budget to redevelop the area. There is justy not any ROI (return on investment)

But didn't they do some bulldozing maybe 5 years ago?

I think the wedding article about the Fort is slightly misleading. On this season of Disney Fairytale Weddings, they had a couple get married outside with a view of the water. They had a rustic wedding in the area past Crockett's Tavern. This is one of the new WDW wedding locations, as the Fort never had a place for ceremonies in the past. I don't think they are building a "wedding building" but rather are allowing people to choose to get married outside at the Fort now.

Last edited:
Love the idea of a Fort wedding!! We got married at the Boardwalk location and loved it for it's fun feel but I could get behind a Fort renewal ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!