River Cruises newbie

This is one thing I am curious about. How do you sign up for the excursions? Is there a maximum number of people that can go on a particular excursion? Will you possibly be shut out of an excursion when there are multiple options on one day? I plan to take full advantage of the fact that excursions are included. :)
Not sure! They did the Rhine cruises very differently than the Danube cruises. Since no-one has been on the Seine cruises yet, we just don't know. That might be worth calling ABD about.

Sayhello

This is one thing I am curious about. How do you sign up for the excursions? Is there a maximum number of people that can go on a particular excursion? Will you possibly be shut out of an excursion when there are multiple options on one day? I plan to take full advantage of the fact that excursions are included. :)

For the Danube we picked our excursions when we met the adventure guides at the hotel before we went to the ship. There were some threads on here about the Rhine excursions having limited capacity but I don't know if that is has been corrected by now or not.

We are doing the Rhine July 2, and we got to prebook excursions ahead of time, which was nice. Got everything we wanted and don't have to worry about it when we get there.

Thanks! I would hope for the Seine they'll have something similar to what they've been doing for the Danube and the Rhine, so this helps. I'm just a bit nervous being on the first sailing.

There were people on the Rhine cruise who did not get the excursions they wanted. You could waitlist them onboard, and it sometimes worked out and sometimes didn't. I know a lot of people were frustrated with the limited capacity on some excursions. For one excursion, friends were told, for example, that it was a matter of no seats on the bus, but then there were plenty of seats on the bus, so I don't know. We got everything we wanted, but our wonderful TA booked it all for us as soon as prebooking opened up.

as soon as prebooking opened up.

We are on adult only Danube Cruise this September-October. The cruise starts September 30th 2018. We of course are fully paid and so on.

But so far we didn't get any communications from ABD.

Appreciate if anybody would tell me when the pre-booking normally opens, how many days in advance?

Also I read somewhere that they would mail you a package with the documents. When is that suppose to happen?

Thank you very much in advance for the information.

We are on adult only Danube Cruise this September-October. The cruise starts September 30th 2018. We of course are fully paid and so on.

Appreciate if anybody would tell me when the pre-booking normally opens, how many days in advance?

Also I read somewhere that they would mail you a package with the documents. When is that suppose to happen?

There's no pre-booking for the Danube River cruises. There's no problems on the Danube River cruises getting whatever excursions you want. So you book at the Hotel before going to the ship (or on the ship if you don't go to the hotel).

The Rhine River cruises have several excursions that have a very limited number of people who can do them, and there was a lot of problems on the first several cruises with people not knowing until they showed up which excursions they did or did not get. So ABD came up with a system that allows folks to book the excursions ahead of time. That way, if they didn't get something they really wanted, there's a chance they could book it (like the Anne Frank house) or something similar on their own for a pre-day, or things like that.

So there won't be any pre-booking for your cruise excursions.

The box seems to be arriving between 1 1/2 months to 2 months ahead of your trip.

Sayhello

There's no pre-booking for the Danube River cruises. There's no problems on the Danube River cruises getting whatever excursions you want. So you book at the Hotel before going to the ship (or on the ship if you don't go to the hotel).

The Rhine River cruises have several excursions that have a very limited number of people who can do them, and there was a lot of problems on the first several cruises with people not knowing until they showed up which excursions they did or did not get. So ABD came up with a system that allows folks to book the excursions ahead of time. That way, if they didn't get something they really wanted, there's a chance they could book it (like the Anne Frank house) or something similar on their own for a pre-day, or things like that.

So there won't be any pre-booking for your cruise excursions.

The box seems to be arriving between 1 1/2 months to 2 months ahead of your trip.

Sayhello

Thank you VERY MUCH, Sayhello, for the information and such quick response!

I also read your review about the similar cruise - it was very helpful and interesting, with great pictures!

Thank you VERY MUCH, Sayhello, for the information and such quick response!

I also read your review about the similar cruise - it was very helpful and interesting, with great pictures!
You are very welcome! And I'm glad you enjoyed my trip report! :) It's a wonderful trip!

Sayhello

Is it worth to book the pre-cruise hotel for the Eastbound Holiday Danube River Cruise through ABD or Dreams Unlimited Travel? It includes transfers to the ship which is a little over 2 hours away from Munich. Thank you!

We went the first year at Christmas and that was the one and only year (so far) they've offered the Vienna Boys Choir so DH got to hear them (they were under where we were sitting apparently so we didn't actually see them per se) and he was super happy. Other than that, while I enjoyed the Adventure Guides and REALLY enjoyed the Prague add on after (which now doesn't appear to be offered), I don't think it is a good value for me.

We went the first year at Christmas and that was the one and only year (so far) they've offered the Vienna Boys Choir so DH got to hear them (they were under where we were sitting apparently so we didn't actually see them per se) and he was super happy. Other than that, while I enjoyed the Adventure Guides and REALLY enjoyed the Prague add on after (which now doesn't appear to be offered), I don't think it is a good value for me.

We sailed the Danube this past Christmas 2017 and heard the Vienna Boys Choir sing on Christmas day...so ABD carried this on at least 2 Christmas seasons.

We will be on your cruise as well! Our first river cruise, and we are very excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!