Riviera Pricing Released

I don’t think the value is good at Riveria. I seriously thought about buying here. I visited the location in February. It’s close to the road and not directly connected to a park that you can walk to. You need to take a gondola. The dues are extremely expensive and the number of points required is close to the Polynesian but without the proximity to the park or the views. The cost per point per year with maintenance is approximately $12. I am going to buy resale where the value is more predictable if I want to sell in the future. I would rather buy Polynesian or Animal Kingdom.

Points are high, but doable once in a while. Might try it next August/September. Definitely too much for my Christmas trip.

I am very surprised how much the dues are initially. I will attempt to stay there in the future, but really unsure if I would purchase even on resale.

In order to offer fixed weeks for the tower studios, the average point cost is about 110 points and they could only use a 1/3 or 8 of the 24 tower studios for fixed weeks. If all 8 for every week sold, that’s still less than 50k points out of 6.7 million.

There just wasn’t enough “heft” to add those to fixed weeks. Said differently, it wasn’t worth 46k points in sales to effectively block out 1/3 of tower studios.

It’d be like blocking out value and concierge rooms at AKV. Too much of a benefit to too few at a larger cost to too many. I understand it but that I think was the only possible good deal for DRR, for me at least.

And unlike previous fixed week offers, they would have done a brisk business in tower studio fixed weeks. They know that, otherwise why bother to block their sales if they only expected a few to sell.

My guess is that week 49 would already be sold out yesterday if it had been offered, with waitlists for when future declarations came online.

My verdict is that not including tower studios in fixed weeks was the only fair way to do it. It sucks to not have that as an option precisely because it would have been such a large advantage over everybody else.

Last edited:
So looks Riviera has (according to the table):

24 Tower Suites
38 Dedicated Studios (up to 186 with Lock-offs)
29 Dedicated 1-BR (Up to 177 with Lock-offs)
148 2-BR Lock-offs
90 Dedicated 2-BR
12 Grand Villas

That actually a pretty decent distribution - with what I've been saying for years is that there should be at least twice as many studios and 2-bedrooms. There's still too many 1-bedrooms, but overall not bad at all.

Now we just need to hear what fraction are standard and what fraction are preferred.

From past new resorts I feel that the first of the resale contracts pops up around 6 months out. Someone buys - takes a trip, realized it isn't what they want or that they can't afford it and sells. So with sales starting this week could we see the first of the resales by September?

Also curious, I know there is the lengthy statement which details restrictions. But do we have a clear picture yet of what the full resale restrictions are? We know they will be locked in to only Riviera usage but will there be any booking window changes? Or will they have the same 11 month window to book and really 7 months will mean nothing to those owners.

I could see if Riviera ending up being a "cheaper" property on the resale market. There still will be many people buying resale for their own use and if they can't travel they will use their points the rental market which will likely be hot and could command close to $20 per point. Not too bad if you can get a deal on resale.

I feel with selling at $188 per point (or less for current owners) we should see resale fall around $140-150 per point to start. Once people are fully aware of the restrictions I think sellers are going to be hard pressed and might have to settle for $120 per point. Still not the cheapest but with being the newest with the longest contract some resale buyers could see some potential in owning. And really the only ones hurt are the direct buyers because one buying a resale and then choosing to sell their resale will all fall in the same boat with the restrictions. So if anything resale of Riviera will be your safer purchase as long as you are fully aware of the restrictions.

Last edited:
From past new resorts I feel that the first of the resale contracts pops up around 6 months out. Someone buys - takes a trip, realized it isn't what they want or that they can't afford it and sells. So with sales starting this week could we see the first of the resales by September?

Also curious I know there is the lengthy statement which details restrictions. But do we have a clear picture yet of what the full resale restrictions are? We know they will be locked in to only Riviera usage but will there be any booking window changes? Or will they have the same 11 month window to book and really 7 months will mean nothing to those owners.

I could see if Riviera ends up being a "cheaper" property on the resale market there still could be use of people buying resale for their own use and if they can't travel and use their points the rental market will likely be hot and could command close to $20 per point. Not to bad if you can get a deal on resale.

I feel with selling at $188 per point (or less for current owners) we should see resale fall around $140-150 per point to start. Once people are fully aware of the restrictions I think sellers are going to be hard pressed and might have to settle for $120 per point. Still not the cheapest but with being the newest with the longest contract some resale buyers could see some potential in owning. And really the only ones hurt are the direct buyers because one buying a resale and then choosing to sell their resale will all fall in the same boat with the restrictions. So if anything resale of Riviera will be your safer purchase as long as you are fully aware of the restrictions.

I agree with this. It won't fall that low initially - but as more and more contracts come up, it will likely drop because of the resale restrictions.

And to answer your questions - so far Disney has not indicated that the resale owners would get a shorter booking window. THAT would be a really rough thing to put in place - allowing you to only stay at one resort AND restricting when you even book that. I wouldn't touch THAT resale contract with a 10-foot pole.

Also curious I know there is the lengthy statement which details restrictions. But do we have a clear picture yet of what the full resale restrictions are? We know they will be locked in to only Riviera usage but will there be any booking window changes? Or will they have the same 11 month window to book and really 7 months will mean nothing to those owners.
The only currently defined restriction is that resale buyers of Riviera can use it at Riviera. However, DVC did state they could introduce new restrictions if they desired (not sure if reducing your home resort advantage to something less than direct purchasers is allowed). As of right now the only restriction is the use at Riviera only and any new restrictions on top of this would have to be recorded as a part of public record.

I specifically asked my guide about different booking windows, and she said she had never heard they had or were planning on that restriction. If the point rentals are really super high, then the resale value will reflect that. Don't forget that the resort is going on sale for $188pp. You're all basing the resale value on the current sales price. That sales price will rise over time. ALL resale prices are affected whenever there is a direct price increase, including the lower priced options. Riviera won't be any different. What will the resale value be when Riviera resale is over $200pp? Only time will tell...

I believe that eventually they’ll have no choice but to shorten the booking window for resale owners at DRR.

With only one resort to book and one booking window (those owners don’t have a 7 month window), resale owners will crowd the 11 month window.

Over time, as more owners become resale owners, they will start to make booking at 11 months very difficult for all owners.

By that time, DRR will be sold out, but buyers at Reflections and beyond will be first hand witnesses to the disaster of “every booking day is Fall Frenzy”.

Disney will have no choice but to carve out yet another advantage for direct owners: a one month advantage over resale buyers:

Direct owners 11/7 windows
Resale owners 10 month window.

It won’t be so bad. By the time it’s a problem that needs to be addressed, it’ll be because there’s more resale owners than direct owners. The remaining direct owners can’t book everything.

Sure, you’ll never be able to book tower studios as a resale owner, but most of everything else should be available.

I believe that eventually they’ll have no choice but to shorten the booking window for resale owners at DRR.

With only one resort to book and one booking window (those owners don’t have a 7 month window), resale owners will crowd the 11 month window.

Over time, as more owners become resale owners, they will start to make booking at 11 months very difficult for all owners.

By that time, DRR will be sold out, but buyers at Reflections and beyond will be first hand witnesses to the disaster of “every booking day is Fall Frenzy”.

Disney will have no choice but to carve out yet another advantage for direct owners: a one month advantage over resale buyers:

It won’t be so bad. By the time it’s a problem that needs to be addressed, it’ll be because there’s more resale owners than direct owners. The remaining direct owners can’t book everything.

Sure, you’ll never be able to book tower studios as a resale owner, but most of everything else should be available.

Will this really be any different than BWV standard view is now?!? Those owners can book elsewhere at 7 months, yet those standard view rooms are always gone. BCV and BWV are tough to get every fall. I think if you are planning on going in the fall and want to stay at any of the Epcot resorts, which now includes Riviera, then you should expect to be duking it out with the owners. I don't know many BWV and BCV owners who routinely use their points elsewhere. Most of those current owners, resale and direct alike, use those points at those resorts and mostly in the fall.

The tower studios are basically a closet and I personally think the points per night is to high. Will they be a big hit, it’s possible, but not for me. I’ll stay in a studio elsewhere for less and have much more room. But for that price point, I think a slightly larger room with a king size bed makes a better sale. To get two on the balcony with the door swinging out does not look easy. Why not make the door swing in? We will probably stay there at some point to check out the resort, but I don’t think we will own there.

The tower studios are basically a closet and I personally think the points per night is to high. Will they be a big hit, it’s possible, but not for me. I’ll stay in a studio elsewhere for less and have much more room. But for that price point, I think a slightly larger room with a king size bed makes a better sale. To get two on the balcony with the door swinging out does not look easy. Why not make the door swing in? We will probably stay there at some point to check out the resort, but I don’t think we will own there.

I won't ever book one, but there's only 24 of them, so I really don't think they'll have trouble selling out as fast as a 316sqft AKV Value with a lovely parking lot view.

Now we just need to hear what fraction are standard and what fraction are preferred.

The million dollar question for sure. I fear it will skew heavily toward preferred, making the standard rooms next to impossible to reserve unless you own there. I don't have high hopes of being able to book here with my AKV points.

I won't ever book one, but there's only 24 of them, so I really don't think they'll have trouble selling out as fast as a 316sqft AKV Value with a lovely parking lot view.
Only 2 out of 18 Value Studios have a parking lot view.

But yes, I would also think that it's safe to assume that the Tower Studios will be booked very quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter