Riviera Resort construction pics

According to this graphic, the resort actually faces north and south. The best view would be Star Wars and could be seen from most rooms on the south face. Illuminations could be seen from the north side of the west wing but other rooms in the resort would appear not have decent views of Illuminations.

I doubt they will push for "theme park view" rooms, such as those around the Seven Seas Lagoon. Isn't there supposed to be a rooftop restaurant, though? I would assume that it would allow for partial views of the two fireworks shows.
Both of those shows feature so many projections and low-level fireworks that I am willing to bet a far-away, partially-obstructed view of them would not be anything special whatsoever.

I doubt they will push for "theme park view" rooms, such as those around the Seven Seas Lagoon. Isn't there supposed to be a rooftop restaurant, though? I would assume that it would allow for partial views of the two fireworks shows.
Both of those shows feature so many projections and low-level fireworks that I am willing to bet a far-away, partially-obstructed view of them would not be anything special whatsoever.
Yes, I read that there will be a roof top restaurant. I would assume the view from the top would be pretty good being +/- 90 feet up. I also assume that the top will get very crowded on a nightly basis.

Wow work is progressing faster than I expected. I though for some reason that they had still to break ground. Maybe they're targeting to open this to accommodate the crowds for the opening of Star Wars land.
When the resort was announced at the D23 Expo, they also stated it was targeted to open Fall 2019. Disney confirmed some changes coming to CBR back in early 2017. One change was a multi story tower that eventually was confirmed to be a DVC Resort.

Scheduled for fall 2019, so it will be around then. It’s going to be a DVC resort.

When it'll open only less than half will be declared for DVC members, the rest will be available to CRO for cash reservations. As time passes and SWL fever dimishes, more inventory will be declared to DVC. It's a clever way to get a spike in rooms available to sell without committing for the long term.

How hard would it be to create a walking path to Epcot from either Riviera or SSR, if one created a new entrance to WS opposite to the one that currently exists for BWV/BCV? It looks like a relatively short walk (if such a path and entrance were created... )

How hard would it be to create a walking path to Epcot from either Riviera or SSR, if one created a new entrance to WS opposite to the one that currently exists for BWV/BCV? It looks like a relatively short walk (if such a path and entrance were created... )
A walking path to EPCOT from the DVC Riviera Resort? Not easy. You would have to cross a major road and there isn't an entry point into EPCOT except the International Gateway (next to BWV and BCV). Too long of a distance from SSR. I assume that's why they are installing the gondola

A walking path to EPCOT from the DVC Riviera Resort? Not easy. You would have to cross a major road and there isn't an entry point into EPCOT except the International Gateway (next to BWV and BCV). Too long of a distance from SSR. I assume that's why they are installing the gondola
No, I was saying if there was a way to create a walking path to a (new) entry on the *other* side of WS, near where the African drums etc. are. That seems close on the map.

No, I was saying if there was a way to create a walking path to a (new) entry on the *other* side of WS, near where the African drums etc. are. That seems close on the map.

The cost to build and maintain a bridge and then pay for employees to man a new opening seems pretty high when it would only really benefit hardcore Rivera customers, and maybe a few really hardcore CB ones. Especially when they can just take the Gondola. It would be like building a bridge across the seven seas lagoon when people can just take the boat or monorail.

From DisneyTouristBlog:

"The 15th Disney Vacation Club property will be Disney Riviera Resort, which will be added to Walt Disney World’s new Skyliner gondola line, adjacent to Caribbean Beach Resort.

Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, announced the next planned development during the D23 Expo, and shared a few details and concept art for the project. The main detail he shared was that the resort would feature a rooftop restaurant with views of both Epcot’s and Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ nighttime spectaculars."

The cost to build and maintain a bridge and then pay for employees to man a new opening seems pretty high when it would only really benefit hardcore Rivera customers, and maybe a few really hardcore CB ones. Especially when they can just take the Gondola. It would be like building a bridge across the seven seas lagoon when people can just take the boat or monorail.
I get your point. And part of it may be my own poor map reading, but another entrance on that side would make SSR also walkable? Not that Disney has any incentive to do that.

Also - I am 99.99% just idly speculating and procrastinating at work. That side of WS has been sitting there, undeveloped, for as long as I remember.

I get your point. And part of it may be my own poor map reading, but another entrance on that side would make SSR also walkable? Not that Disney has any incentive to do that.

Also - I am 99.99% just idly speculating and procrastinating at work. That side of WS has been sitting there, undeveloped, for as long as I remember.

I know where you are coming from with your thinking. I am sure we both bought into BLT partially due to loving the walk to and from the MK. While I am sure the gondola will be better than busses, a walk would be much preferable, even in hot weather. Something like a bridge would get me to consider buying more points at the Riviera, but I am sure you and I are in the minority.

I know where you are coming from with your thinking. I am sure we both bought into BLT partially due to loving the walk to and from the MK. While I am sure the gondola will be better than busses, a walk would be much preferable, even in hot weather. Something like a bridge would get me to consider buying more points at the Riviera, but I am sure you and I are in the minority.

Maybe they're trying to bank on the nostalgia from the old Skyways? lol.

This is why I want to get a contract at BWV - walking to 2 parks is a huge selling point for me.

Maybe they're trying to bank on the nostalgia from the old Skyways? lol.

This is why I want to get a contract at BWV - walking to 2 parks is a huge selling point for me.

Agree. If Riviera was going to be walkable, I would have probably waited to buy there for the end date (unless the point requirements are outrageous). I'm leaning toward BLT for a second contract when the time comes for pretty much the same reasons I bought BWV. Point structure, walkable and 11 mo booking necessity for standard studios.

To make it easy to visualize, below is a map of the DVC Resorts (in red letters) that are in proximity of EPCOT and Disney Studios. There are non-DVC Resorts that I didn't show. As you can see, BWV has the best walking access to both parks. An easy walk to EPCOT and a less easy walk to DS, but still walkable. Beach Club is awesome if you want to go to EPCOT (obviously) but a little further to DS. SSR is the furthest resort away from any park and has a canal and a very major road to cross. The same goes for OKW even though it is closer to EPCOT than SSR, road and no entrance. DRR resort is actually pretty close to EPCOT (as the crow flies) but has a major road and no park entrance to EPCOT. The distance to DS from DRR is further than the distance from BWV to DS so I'm not sure that is a feasible walk for most people plus, there is uncleared property between CBR and DS which would require alot of work for a sidewalk.

There is a rumor that another resort is being planned just outside and west of the main entrance to EPCOT (not shown on the map because it is just rumor at this point). Don't know if it is a DVC resort or not.

With the Gondola serving both EPCOT and DS from the new DVC resort, that makes the easiest access to these 2 parks from any of these resorts. I didn't realize what a good idea the Gondola is until I wrote this post and looked at this map.

upload_2017-11-28_6-31-20.png

here is where I think the gondola will be put (in black)

upload_2017-11-28_7-31-36.png

here is where I think the gondola will be put (in black)

That's possible, but don't forget CBR and AoA/Pop. The DHS one may run more south to start at Pop, then run up to Riviera. Having direct access to the gondola allows Disney to raise the room rates at those two resorts.
I see them going a more 5 tier hotel room system as opposed to the 3 of value, moderate, and deluxe. Having gondola access allows AoA and Pop to move to a 2/5, and CBR to a 4/5 in the pricing scale.

I did some research and found that you are correct, the gondola will serve AoA/POP. here is the layout I found on the web

upload_2017-11-28_8-39-45.png

Agree. If Riviera was going to be walkable, I would have probably waited to buy there for the end date (unless the point requirements are outrageous). I'm leaning toward BLT for a second contract when the time comes for pretty much the same reasons I bought BWV. Point structure, walkable and 11 mo booking necessity for standard studios.

I was having this same discussion with DH (about Riviera and a 2nd home resort) this morning! We had the same thought, just executed in reverse, and for the same reasons. I made a low-ish offer on a BWV contract last night, but I have a feeling it will be sold at asking, if it hasn't sold already. I just have a hard time psychologically with paying more per point for BWV than I did for BLT in March.

I am still trying to gauge what, in my mind, would make Riviera "worth it" for me, as DH asked the same thing. I don't know if it's a lack of imagination on my part, but I can't think of anything. So I told DH we could buy BWV and if Riviera looked really great we could sell or rent our BWV and buy Riviera. :rolleyes:

(And to me, the gondola access isn't "worth it" - we walked from BCV to DHS in late August heat pushing a double stroller, and liked it.)

I'm also a BLT member who loves the walk to MK. But, the distance between CBR and SSR and Epcot's "outpost" (which has a huge staging area for plants and such behind it) is actually quite far. The trek from SSR would be through a woodland. I can see how Disney wouldn't want to subject their guests to that.

When they originally were talking about converting part of CBR to DVC, I suggested they should re-route the monorail. Instead of looping through Epcot, it would divert around the outside of Epcot (over parking lots, all easy construction), swing around to the new resort, and then swing back by way of the Boardwalk (along the road right of way), route between the IG and BCV (you'd lose a few trees due to the construction), and then connect to the existing track to go to the passenger unloading area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!