Route 81/77 instead of 95 was definitely the way to go!

We are driving from Harrisburg in August and thought about taking this route, but it seems like it so far west to come back and go South, but if it will avoid alot of traffic, then it might be worthwhile. Has anyone done this route from our area and can comment if you think it took longer if the mileage is longer?

OP here. Well we are planning on doing the same drive again this summer.

Wondering if anyone has recommendations on places to stop and eat along the way that is not too far off the highway?

Also...in case anyone plans a stop overnight in Charlotte, wanted to let people know that we stayed at the Residence Inn, Tyvola Ave. last year and it was great. We had a two bedroom...full bedrooms, not the wall divider suites and they offered free breakfat. It was also two seconds off the highway. Will probably stay here again.

From the Lehigh Valley, I normally take 22 to 476 to 95. I checked google maps and going 78 to 81 to 77 to 95 is only 41 minutes/47 miles longer. Avoiding many miles of 95 is well worth the extra 41 minutes to me!

We did the drive to Atlanta this past Wednesday. Instead of taking 81 through Harrisburg we took 222 past Reading and then 76 west to 81. We avoided Harrisburg and any construction there. Last time we made this drive construction was horrible. Didn't really add all that much to our time. Heading down the rest of 81 to 77 to 85 minimal construction..there was some but not that bad. SIL took 95 to 66 to 81 from central Jersey this time and preferred this route to the typical full 95 corridor. Can't speak for what the drive is like from Atlanta south but up to Atlanta it was a painless trip. 4 stops for gas, rest areas took a bit over 12 hours.

We had to go to a funeral in MD last week and hit construction in the Harrisburg area. Seems like that area is under constant construction!
Thanks for the info!

I plan to take the I81/I77 route from Connecticut this July. For those who will be going that way, you'll need to consider a minor detour:
= = =

Crews have begun widening the Christiansburg Mountain pass from two to three lanes in the southbound direction.

Highway officials are committed to keeping traffic moving safely during the massive digging and blasting project but have found it necessary to close long sections of the right shoulder over a 5-mile stretch. Both lanes are expected to stay open for most of the construction, scheduled to last two and a half years.

The section of highway brings 23,000 southbound motorists a day over hills and around curves. Driving alongside concrete barricades that separate work crews from traffic will add to the challenge.

Barriers have already reduced the right shoulder to little more than the width needed for rumble strips. The left shoulder is already that narrow. Although several turnouts are planned, drivers will have less room for error.

Unlike in Rockbridge County, where the speed limit has been cut to 55 mph because of a similar project, this stretch of I-81 will remain posted at 65 mph. Officials will revisit the limit if needed, said Heidi Underwood, a spokeswoman for the Virginia Department of Transportation.

0411_81Widening600.gif

(Read more at http://www.roanoke.com/news/nrv/wb/282956)
= = = =

I'm driving on July 4 weekend, so I KNOW that traffic will backup through this construction. The detour map indicates that you should detour at exit 128. I plan to get off at exit 132 and take Rte 11/460 to where it rejoins I81 at exit 118.

Thanks for the heads up KiddFreeper. Would you know how much extra time this detour would add?

I live in Central NJ and was thinking of taking this route for our upcoming trip to Florida. Where would I be exiting to get back on 95.

Thinking maybe this July for our Williamsburg trip I should take a test run. I donot think I want to attempt 95 during summer.

TIA Brenda

We plan to drive to WDW this Christmas. We're leaving the 23rd. What should we expect in terms of road conditions?

I grew up on the North Shore and moved to Hilton Head Island a few years back. There were a few times I'd get off 95 but then later I'd merge back onto 95.. My total trip time was about 18 hours total.

We plan to drive to WDW this Christmas. We're leaving the 23rd. What should we expect in terms of road conditions?

We have driven the inland route to WDW a few times in December. Just check the weather before you go and as long as there isn't a storm when you are actually driving it's fine. The whole way down is highway so it gets cleared as fast as 95 if there is snow.

We have driven to WDW from NJ a number of times and only took 95 once. Never again unless it's snowing. The inland route is scenic and so much more pleasant. The only issue with the route is making sure you don't hit Charoltte at rush hour, but even that beats rush hour in the Baltimore/DC area!

Thanks for the reply. We plan on leaving either late on the 23rd or super early on the 24th (Saturday), so we won't have rush hour traffic but we'll probably get holiday traffic. I hear you on the MD/DC traffic. I hate that section of 95.

We just drove this route to and from Disney and I would recommend it. We left our house in the Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem, PA) at 2:30 in the morning and were at our hotel in Jacksonville, Fl at 5:15 that evening. Not bad considering I was traveling with 5 women who apparently had very small bladders! :laughing:

My wife and I both agreed that it was a better route than 95 all the way down and would take it again.

We will be travelling this route to HHI from CT leaving this Saturday. Can't wait. Keep our fingers crossed that all goes as well as our trip last year. :goodvibes

Any recent drivers? How is construction in Harrisburg and Christiansburg?

Any good places you would recommend for stops?

Thanks so much!!

Was heading south on the 12th and north on the 19th. Since both dates were on Sunday, there was no construction going on, so it was smooth sailing.

Bumping. Any recent drivers? How was construction near Christiansburg?

Leaving from Mass. on Friday!!

Considering rt 81-77 to 26 to 95 next week. Leaving 3pm from NJ. Don't see how I could attempt rt 95 during this window.

Anyone use 81-77 recently?

Hello VWL FIVE! I just posted in another thread yesterday but I'll repost here too because I am always searching for a better route. I'm just wondering - the route you speak of, that runs through shennandoah valley? If so, I think I have used that route (2001) beautiful, stress-free but, that goes a little too west and depending on the time of day you leave, driving through any metro areas might not be too bad...you might be able to take a shorter route.
Here is my repost:

I see others traveling from NY and Canada and just wanted to share our experience...we just drove from the Lake George, NY region to DW last month. I have always taken I-87 to I-95. Seems that I would always hit construction/accidents/back-ups no matter the time of day we left. This time, we went through Binghamton (88 to 81)THEN some other routes that brought us into the Richmond/I- 95 area. Mapquest said it would add an hour to the trip...NOT really! Not when you account for all of the delays you would run into driving straight south. Plus, no tolls!!! we were in the D.C. area at 8 a.m. and traffic did pick up but remained steady, about 55 mph. This was the least stressful driving trip to Florida that I have ever taken! I will never again drive the 87 to 95 route.
Another tip - all of those city loops (you know the 295, 495, etc.) they were meant to divert traffic that didn't need to go into metro areas. Well guess what? Since everyone today uses gps, they are all congesting those loops. We stayed on the 95 through Richmond and rocky mount areas and it was a breeze! Why add the extra miles to go around? Planning this same trip again for Dec. but might have to buy train tickets now as a back-up in case the gas prices reach $5

* I am happy to hear from anyone - any tips for conquering this route!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter