Route 81/77 instead of 95 was definitely the way to go!

We left NJ at 1:30pm and hit traffic on 78 in Allentown (around 3pm - stopped for food in phillispburg) and then harrisburg around 4:15pm. the rest was smooth sailing except an accident in VA that Waze routed us around so it wasn't a huge delay.

We are driving down in a few weeks from Allentown. Since we are leaving on a Thursday and coming home on a Saturday I was planning on going 95 the whole way but now am thinking of taking the inland route. I want this to go as smoothly as possible and end up in Savannah the first night.

Coming from Allentown the difference between these two routes is only about 30 minutes. There's a much greater chance of running into traffic jams on the I-95 route though.

Your plan to stop in Savannah the first night is a good one. From there its less than 5 hours to WDW.

Hi! I'm looking for a little advice about the "inland" route. I used this route last year and really liked it. But I traveled on weekend days last year so I wasn't too concerned about weekday traffic. This year, I'll be traveling thru Charlotte on a Thursday somewhere between 1pm and 2pm. I know enough to try to avoid any city around rush hour, but what can I expect in the Charlotte area around mid-afternoon? Thanks!

Unless you hit construction no issues. Rush hour traffic builds about 3:30pm heading south. I haven’t been north of Charlotte in a while to know if you will hit construction.

You should also get past Columbia before rush hour.

Unless you hit construction no issues. Rush hour traffic builds about 3:30pm heading south. I haven’t been north of Charlotte in a while to know if you will hit construction.

You should also get past Columbia before rush hour.
Thanks for the heads up about Columbia! I wasn't even thinking about that.

I am a huge fan of the inland route. Far fewer accidents and slowdowns. Your chances of maintaining the speed limit (or a little above) are much better and it's a far less stressful drive with less congestion and generally fewer trucks and jerks.

With the higher overall speed I find the time to travel each route about equal, so I choose the more pleasant drive.

I just got back last week, Traveled 81 from Winchester Va. to 77 to 26 to 95. Was a nice drive. Traffic wasn't bad
I traveled on Friday and Saturday on the way down. Two weeks later on the way north left on Monday afternoon and arrived home Tuesday.
Stayed overnight at campgrounds along 95.

the worse part of the trip was 4 from 95 to DW. Its all tore up from daytona too orlando.

Sambuster

We cross to 95 at Winchester Va. We get on 17/50 and come out at Fredericksburg on to 95. I’ve gone 81/77 a couple of times and don’t like the fact that it’s longer. Once I get started driving I want to get there. We leave from Chambersburg pa right on the Maryland line. We make Jacksonville in about 11 hours usually.

Good Morning all GODS BLESSINGS are apon us...Question Im inquiring about driving Direction from NEW YORK TO VIRGINIA BEACH USING 81/77?CAN I TAKE THAT ROUTE AND ?LONG IS THE DRIVE. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter