Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

I did get my rent the runway dresses in the mail last night and I ordered a size 12 and a backup size 14 just in case and they are both kind a big on me. So maybe I shoulda chosen a 10 as the backup. So I guess there's some tangible proof I have not gained 20 lbs. But still....maybe less french fries this week coming up.

Save your fries for July :)

national-french-fry-day-550_0.jpg

Save your fries for July :)

national-french-fry-day-550_0.jpg

Brilliant! I wonder if I can challenge myself to not have any fries between now and then. I bet I could do it. My next race is 7/15 so this kind of works out nicely. Taper Town turns into Tater Town!

And just so we are clear...the fact there are maple leafs (yes, I've spelled that correctly) on the above picture means I'm allowed to cover my fries in gravy...yes?

It's a great big beautiful sweaty, humid, raining tomorrow!
(but that's ok cause I'm running again)

So wrap up of last week which was official week #1 of the path to another half.
My first 2.5 mile run was on the nose with pace...12:03 avg exactly. Go me.
My second was a little bit faster at 11:47 avg, but I blame the fact that I was listening to some sick dance beats. Also I'm still getting used to my pacing again and I'm tending to have an easy pace and a LR pace and I slip into and out of either. But at least I recognize when I'm doing it...mostly.
Also realizing that short runs don't have as much opportunity to explore around so I'm just trying to mix up my routes a little bit.
My Sat 2.5 mi was a DNS. I went to a wedding of one of my good friends and then hung out with the in-laws for pre-father's day and I gave up the "free evening time" we had to my hubby so he could attack his needed workout. I didn't think one 2.5 miss would make a bad dent and getting his a few weeks out from his Olympic Tri was more beneficial.
But I ran my 3 miles with strides on Sunday! 11:01 avg. My first two miles were pretty spot on for EB pace (which is 11:16) so you can see I gained a bit of speed during the strides. I actually went into my phone during mile 2 and looked up (while I was jogging) what people said about strides a week back so I could remember what to do. Remind me to research these things before I start running instead of during. At least you know its a true easy workout when you can check your phone mid-run successfully, right?

Ok for strides. As soon as mile 2 was over I decided to run easy to the next block up ahead. Once I got there I did my first 10 sec stride and clock was at :40 after the minute so I sped up (trying to be gradual about it) and then glanced down and it was at like :48 so I slowed myself. And then I felt pretty ok after that so I jogged until it hit :4 again and did same thing. And I did this the whole last mile. I was having SO MUCH FUN doing that. And my recovery was good. Now if I did these with less time in between who knows if it would be as good. Also I think if I did this for a whole race I would hate it. Watching the watch so much wasn't my fave thing. Running in little fast bursts was. But the constant glancing down, yuck. I can see why interval run/walk/run like having things beep or buzz at them instead. Maybe next time I do strides I'll try to set up some kind of buzz thing (I'm sure my watch is capable)

Side note with strides...does anyone else ever see sprinklers on people's lawns that are going over the sidewalk or road and on purpose try to pretend like you are Super Mario and time it so you can run past super fast without getting hit? Anyone? (I do.) That's what strides kinda feel like for me. Maybe it would be a good thing to attempt to do some zoomey strides at the last mile of races one day. Maybe I'll test that out for funsies during my "I don't care how it goes" 5k in July?

Oh and my STIR this week was some super instense mini-golf on a man-made mountain. I got three holes in ones and was 4 under par and beat my hubby. But I'm not competitive...

OK now to

Week #2 Training: A week that I'm not busy so should be able to do it all!
Mon 6/19: rest day. I rested. Hubby ran 5 miles (brag..his fastest 5 miles to date and he had is 10th fastest mile ever during it)
Tue 6/20: 3 mi at EA
Wed 6/21: STIR
Thur 6/22: 3.5 mi EB w/ strides (think I should do anything different this time with them?) I will use my Garmin watch this time so I can get some better data...I of course forgot to plug it in again last week and used my nike run club app.
Fri 6/23: Rest
Sat 6/24: 3 mi EA
Sun 6/25: 4 mi EB with strides (same as above, do something different or same?)

And in summary: I have not eaten a french fry since declaring I wouldn't until National Fry Day. Maybe I'll do a recap when I finally eat them again. perhaps baconator fries?

Last edited:

Great job getting back into it!!

National Fry Day?? How did I not know this was a thing? :lovestruc

Well on the potato scale of 1 (where 1 is a raw potato) to 10 (fries covered in gravy and curds) I'd have to say that my plain baked potato at lunch today ranked around a 3.
Ho-Hum-Healthy

(think I should do anything different this time with them?) I will use my Garmin watch this time so I can get some better data...I of course forgot to plug it in again last week and used my nike run club app.

Personally, I don't actually time the strides in any way. I just think, "build up, hold, and then slow down". The whole process should be short. Then I just continue to run slowly, and then just decide when I'm ready to do another.

Well on the potato scale of 1 (where 1 is a raw potato) to 10 (fries covered in gravy and curds) I'd have to say that my plain baked potato at lunch today ranked around a 3.
Ho-Hum-Healthy
Baked potatoes are deeee-licious though! Granted, I put a LOT of butter on mine, so... :teeth:

Personally, I don't actually time the strides in any way. I just think, "build up, hold, and then slow down". The whole process should be short. Then I just continue to run slowly, and then just decide when I'm ready to do another.

K, definitely going with that method next time. It's kinda how I do them during warmups at races so probably I should stop being a clock stickler. I just did my Tues run btw and it was a glorious 61 out! :)

Baked potatoes are deeee-licious though! Granted, I put a LOT of butter on mine, so... :teeth:

Yeah, no bitter today. Omg my autocorrect turned butter into bitter and im gonna leave it.

I just did my Tues run btw and it was a glorious 61 out!

I would say I was jealous, but it wasn't half bad here this morning, either. I'll take it.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about a baked potato sans butter... I'm not sure I can get on board with it...

I would say I was jealous, but it wasn't half bad here this morning, either. I'll take it.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about a baked potato sans butter... I'm not sure I can get on board with it...

Well then let me tell you about the plain plain bagel I'm having for breakfast :)
But fear not, I made tacos for dinner last night and they had chihuahua cheese on them so I'm totally boring.

Well then let me tell you about the plain plain bagel I'm having for breakfast

My love of bread knows no bounds... even sans butter or cream cheese.

And hey now, when I make tacos we stick with cheddar... because we're #basic (did I do that right?). Chihuahua is a delicious choice : )

So last night InknBurn basically stole my hubby & I's idea of having a "formal 5k" and launched fancy running outfits. Ok...so I'm sure our idea is not that original seeing as lots of dudes run in tuxedo shirts.
But I just couldn't stop thinking about this lovely shirt...
fGkD8DUqrULtA1DqGvo78AzRmGeiEkBK77W1b-xhmV2Y1wAHbKA3hcUZKGvy2vr2NfFPBf83jcobkNjUdNkV_r85yXxGy4s38mZYnIe7ePHoNRz8_R9sFbTFVPwqAsgJjAS4N9a1KVuViDvuJ_tgqYIPJnqAr4otjUYTdkM=s0-d-e1-ft
W-Dapper-Shirt-front__19851.1493238292.200.200.jpg

It's sooooooo my kind of cuuuuuuuute! I even took my Ryu skirt that I got during the big clearance sale out for my run last night just to give it another chance because of the above cute pictures. Well the skirt only lasted .75 miles before I was back at home slapping on capris. I just think my thighs enjoy eating the under-shorts and then I'm just getting thigh on thigh rubbing which I'm not a huge fan of. But don't worry...I'm likely keeping that skirt for a cute thing to wear over my bathing suit to the beach/pool before taking it off to go into the water. And it may actually be cute for the driving range/golf too. It just aint so great for me unfortunately for running.

But...I've gone off track. Still was thinking about this cute shirt this morning. Thinking about how cute it would be to wear to the Rock N Roll race later in July because it just screams rockabilly to me (I had a rockabilly phase my sophomore year of college.) And then I started thinking about how cute it would look with my minnie mouse polka dot sparkle skirt for our fall race in WDW. I mean...it could go christmas or "fall" or even be spookied up. Imagine it with a pretty minnie fascinator headband! And then I got an email that our quarterly sales bonus will be good and my fingers slipped and I bought the shirt. Sorry @roxyhubby
Feel free to go buy this one if you want to make things even...
M-Dapper-Shirt-front__37072.1493228917.1280.1280.jpg

thighs eating shorts = no good. Do the shorts feel too loose? I wonder if it would be better if you went up or down 1 size...the first time I bought skirts from them I ordered 3 different sizes at once to try on and returned/sold what didn't work. Which was a total pain, don't get me wrong, but at least I have the right size now. It's tough to figure out the sizing from them, for sure...

But yeah, the shirt could totally work with a different black or red skirt. ::yes:: Or even a pair of black pants? I'm wondering if I can sneak this one into work. I initially passed on the shirt (but not the skirt, it arrives today :teeth:) but now I'm thinking about going back and buying it once one of the running stores get it and I can get free shipping. :teeth:

My love of bread knows no bounds... even sans butter or cream cheese.

And hey now, when I make tacos we stick with cheddar... because we're #basic (did I do that right?). Chihuahua is a delicious choice : )

I'm pretty basic when it comes to my likes so I'll okay it. I found a corn/flour hybrid tortilla at our grocery store that I'm obsessed with. Hubby prefers corn ones and I like both, but I like real taco place corn tortillas so much more than the dry ones you get at the grocery store. I feel like these hybrid ones I found are a good combo.

thighs eating shorts = no good. Do the shorts feel too loose? I wonder if it would be better if you went up or down 1 size...the first time I bought skirts from them I ordered 3 different sizes at once to try on and returned/sold what didn't work. Which was a total pain, don't get me wrong, but at least I have the right size now. It's tough to figure out the sizing from them, for sure...

But yeah, the shirt could totally work with a different black or red skirt. ::yes:: Or even a pair of black pants? I'm wondering if I can sneak this one into work. I initially passed on the shirt (but not the skirt, it arrives today :teeth:) but now I'm thinking about going back and buying it once one of the running stores get it and I can get free shipping. :teeth:

I think it may be a "too big" thing..Like excess short fabric and when the thighs rub...up it goes. Have the same issue with swishy shorts though. Could be I just have ornery thighs. I'm tempted to put up a trade "my size 12 for a size 10...very open to it not being the exact same skirt" but not sure yet. I may just keep it as it is cute and long enough for a wear around the beach type like I said. It go nicely with my plain blue or plain black bathing suit. And I got it on clearance anyway.

I'm thinking black clam-digger length capris for rock n roll...to give off that Peggy Bundy vibe :) Gotta get a red or rock no roll sweaty band at the expo. And then slap a red or black flower up in the hair too.

Well then let me tell you about the plain plain bagel I'm having for breakfast
What?? A plain bagel... Who are you? :0

And then I started thinking about how cute it would look with my minnie mouse polka dot sparkle skirt for our fall race in WDW. I mean...it could go christmas or "fall" or even be spookied up
That would be so cute- I can definitely get the spooky vibe from it!

What?? A plain bagel... Who are you? :0

That would be so cute- I can definitely get the spooky vibe from it!

Who am I? Someone who feels like she gained 20 lbs even though the scale last night said I haven't, thus I'm in "trying to be good" mode which is about as fun as my lean cuisine is gonna be for lunch :)

Yeah - the shirt could fit nicely in the haunted mansion.

Who am I? Someone who feels like she gained 20 lbs even though the scale last night said I haven't, thus I'm in "trying to be good" mode which is about as fun as my lean cuisine is gonna be for lunch :)

Yeah - the shirt could fit nicely in the haunted mansion.

I admire your motivation! I haven't had a LC for a while, but I actually dont mind them. I basically had chicken parm LC and diet coke every day for lunch in college. Now I like the white mac and cheese.

Great HM shirt! I also feel like it could be cute for Valentine's Day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts