Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Back at ya! :lovestruc
giphy.gif
Bwahahahahahah!

Y'all know Mean Girls is now a Broadway Play opening soon right?

Mini week update: My first two runs at new easy paces went really well. I didn't feel like they were too fast and was able to zone out and watch some House Hunters and Flip or Flop like normal for easy nights, which is always a good sign :)
Treadmill pace question! I was gonna PM da coach but figured I'd put it in here.
Because my treadmill doesn't hit the paces exactly: For example my plan says 10:48 and my machine can do 5.6 mph = 10:43 or a 5.5 = 10:54. So I figure either one is ok technically because it's within 10 sec up or down. So I try to do the faster one first since I'm usually at a 1% incline anyways and then I tell myself if it feels too fast for the effort there's the option to switch to the slower (but like last night I felt fine.) And then there's always some seconds ticked off just working my way up from 0 to the mph. Is this what you'd do if you were a treadmill person? I really gotta be better about wearing my garmin to the treadmill since it has a built in (I can't think of the name...but the same concept as those foot pods.) I'll start really trying to do that next time and then consistently.
Edited to add: I remembered the term! Accelerometer!

OK enough running talk.....MY DAUGHTER GOT MOVED UP TO A NEW GYMNASTICS PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Little roxykiddo started in October at a real gymnastics gym in their mini beginner group and they had someone evaluate her last night and told us to register her immediately for their Shooting Stars group. My lil baby has potential!!! Also she is a crazy monkey that swings off of everything so why am I surprised. Should I start booking my flight to Los Angeles 2028 Olympics? Add in a day or two at Disneyland?
Ok, mom brag over.

Last night hubby did take her to gymnastics so I could run on the treadmill at 7pm instead of 9pm so that was kind of great. Happy Friday to everyone. Let me know if y'all need a comped ticket to the All Around finals 11 years from now.

Last edited:
I don't run on treadmills unless it is utterly unavoidable, but if I did, I'd follow the strategy you describe and I'm not da coach, but I wouldn't worry a lot about the seconds that it takes you to ramp up or down. I can't believe that would really cause you any significant issues in getting the benefits from your paces.

And, way to go roxykiddo!!! Now she needs to add facial training to her schedule!!

U.S.-gymnast-McKayla-Maroney.jpg

I think your treadmill approach sounds good. I try to just kinda go by how it feels. Some days my legs feel like going the tick faster, sometimes, they feel like going the tick slower. Sometimes I'll start the tick slower and then speed up to the tick faster once I get in to a groove. In any scenario, I'm closer to my target paces on the treadmill than I am running outside, so I don't sweat the couple of extra seconds on either side.

Should I start booking my flight to Los Angeles 2028 Olympics?

That's so great about roxykiddo. My immediate thought was OMG what if roxykiddo and minimoana were teammates?!?!?!?!?!?!? (Minimoana's teacher pulled me aside after class a couple of weeks ago and said that she really wants her in agility classes as soon as she's old enough (she has to be three) because she's got the potential and they want to challenge her. She said that the teachers in the gym kind of keep tabs/bets on which of the kids they think will be successful at the sport, and a few have mentioned minimoana's skill/bravery for her age, so the teacher is "putting her chips on the table early.")

Eeeeek, sorry to add in my own mom brag. I just remember having the exact same fantasy line of thinking that you did : ) Plus, you know. Anything could happen. You and I can do our training runs together during all-arounds : )

I think your treadmill approach sounds good. I try to just kinda go by how it feels. Some days my legs feel like going the tick faster, sometimes, they feel like going the tick slower. Sometimes I'll start the tick slower and then speed up to the tick faster once I get in to a groove. In any scenario, I'm closer to my target paces on the treadmill than I am running outside, so I don't sweat the couple of extra seconds on either side.

That's so great about roxykiddo. My immediate thought was OMG what if roxykiddo and minimoana were teammates?!?!?!?!?!?!? (Minimoana's teacher pulled me aside after class a couple of weeks ago and said that she really wants her in agility classes as soon as she's old enough (she has to be three) because she's got the potential and they want to challenge her. She said that the teachers in the gym kind of keep tabs/bets on which of the kids they think will be successful at the sport, and a few have mentioned minimoana's skill/bravery for her age, so the teacher is "putting her chips on the table early.")

Eeeeek, sorry to add in my own mom brag. I just remember having the exact same fantasy line of thinking that you did : ) Plus, you know. Anything could happen. You and I can do our training runs together during all-arounds : )

I've definitely had treadmill days where I start the tick slower and speed up, but I can honestly remember more than a handful going the other direction!! I try to tell myself the +10,-10 is still success. It's easier outside because I give myself more lee-way to fluctuate since the clock isn't staring at me all the time.

PLEASE MOM BRAG...I love reading about all the kiddos. Mine has one thing going against her...she is very tall. And her dad is very tall. And I'm relatively tall but not like super tall. I remember being told in like first grade ballet that maybe I should concentrate more on jazz dance because I was already as tall as some of the older girls. sigh. But she loves going to classes and has really taken to it. I think maybe we can have the first 5'9" 15 year old gold medalist, right???? I mean isn't the whole country getting collectively taller???

Last edited:
But she loves going to classes and has really taken to it. I think maybe we can have the first 5'9" 15 year old gold medalist, right???? I mean isn't the whole country getting collectively taller???

I hate that about ballet. I got the same memo (except not that I was too tall, but rather than I was too compact). I trained for several more years, but it stopped being fun, and I think the difference in builds contributed to that. My compact build ended up serving me well in other sports, so it was fine.

I'm so glad roxykiddo has taken so well to it. It's so fun to watch their confidence build as they master new things, and I bet she's super excited about changing to a new class! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Last edited:
Congrats to roxykiddo! I am all for Mom Bragging as you have probably already read on other threads. I'll trade swim tickets for some of those all around seats.
I will also agree on the getting taller thing. I'm average height and DD is already a good 4inches taller and I don't think she's done growing yet.

Do you find that you have descent accuracy with your watch using just the built in accelerometer and not a foot pod on the treadmill? I have a garmin 620 which is more of a watch for tri athletes but was on super sale and it's suppose to have a built in but I don't find that it is anywhere near accurate. I make sure the gps is off so that is not interfering. Just curious as to your experience?

Congrats to roxykiddo! I am all for Mom Bragging as you have probably already read on other threads. I'll trade swim tickets for some of those all around seats.
I will also agree on the getting taller thing. I'm average height and DD is already a good 4inches taller and I don't think she's done growing yet.

Do you find that you have descent accuracy with your watch using just the built in accelerometer and not a foot pod on the treadmill? I have a garmin 620 which is more of a watch for tri athletes but was on super sale and it's suppose to have a built in but I don't find that it is anywhere near accurate. I make sure the gps is off so that is not interfering. Just curious as to your experience?

I'm actually really bad at remembering to bring my watch to the gym so my sample size is too small to know. I more want to just start bringing it to see what it outputs compared to the treadmill. But I know I have to be more consistent about it because data with only like a handful of attempts is useless. It's more just curiosity over anything else. I try hard to use the same treadmill if it's open (first reason is because it's below the tv that is switched on to HGTV, but secondly because I like to be consistent and third is that I'm a creature of habit and fourth is because I just can't run right in front of where the people do their weird stretches...I get the nervous giggles about it.)

I'm actually really bad at remembering to bring my watch to the gym so my sample size is too small to know. I more want to just start bringing it to see what it outputs compared to the treadmill. But I know I have to be more consistent about it because data with only like a handful of attempts is useless. It's more just curiosity over anything else. I try hard to use the same treadmill if it's open (first reason is because it's below the tv that is switched on to HGTV, but secondly because I like to be consistent and third is that I'm a creature of habit and fourth is because I just can't run right in front of where the people do their weird stretches...I get the nervous giggles about it.)

I would be interested to see what your curiosity turns up. I have a treadmill at home, but have done the gym thing and totally agree about using the same one. It was starting to become to lord of the rings "my precious" at the gym which is why had to break down and get one for home. I do miss the "interesting" at the gym sometimes, slightly more entertaining.

Yay Roxykiddo!! I'm already excited for the name dropping I'll do in 2028 when I say I was a regular reader of that famous gymnast's Mom's running training journal. I'm going to get into any party I want! :dogdance:
It really is such a joy to watch our kids grow and discover talents though! ::yes::

Hooray Roxykiddo!!!

Do you find that you have descent accuracy with your watch using just the built in accelerometer and not a foot pod on the treadmill?
Just jumping in here to say that I have a Forerunner 35 (no foot pod), and while I don't run on the treadmill often, it is always off a bit for treadmill runs. For example, on a 4 mile easy run, it's usually either generous or behind by about 0.25 miles. I fix my actual distance covered in the app once the run is completed, but I'm not sure if that helps its accuracy on future runs? It hasn't seemed to help thus far, but again, small sample size of indoor runs.

Wait, trips exists that don't involve a race???? I'm confused by this concept now.
I've heard about this concept and actually tried it for a few days this past August. But otherwise, all of Disney visits this year revolved around a race weekend.

When going to SoCal, and especially for Olympic related reasons in 2028, one should always plan a visit to Disneyland.

Wait, trips exists that don't involve a race???? I'm confused by this concept now.

There are races in NY ...

Also ... super excited to see roxykiddo in the olympics in 2028. I'm a big gymnastics fan, so I'll probably get to see her compete in the National Finals and olympics qualifiers before that. Go roxykiddo!

Exciting that you’ve got some new paces to work with!!

Sending good thoughts to your Mom!

Yay roxykiddo! We’re into gymnastics in our house too - wish they had a class for my 2yo, she’s my crazy climber!

Exciting that you’ve got some new paces to work with!!

Sending good thoughts to your Mom!

Yay roxykiddo! We’re into gymnastics in our house too - wish they had a class for my 2yo, she’s my crazy climber!

We had roxykiddo in a thing called Tumblebears at 2yo through now once a week at daycare, and I'm not sure it is anything more than letting her climb and roll off of foam obstacles to her hearts content. I'd imagine a tumbling class for cats would look similar. But she is a good little tumbler now so I know the concepts have stuck. I still have panic attacks sometimes at the park at what she wants to attempt with climbing. The rock wall thing backwards...really????? I'm 100% a freaker-outer about her park bravery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter