Royal Caribbean cancels shore excursions requiring ferries in Mexico

HopperFan

"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."
Something you need to follow if you are cruising to Mexico, and have an excursion on the mainland or are planning to book one. If you have one booked with an independent tour guide, something to consider.

Right now RCI has cancelled these as reported by guests on some ships due to explosive devices found on ferries. Here is blog article and the US Embassy Alert. No word on how long this will last.

RCI Blog Article

US Embassy & Consulates in Mexico Statement

I saw that yesterday and it's kind of nuts.

Carnival and Princess have also cancelled excursions requiring ferries. I fully expect the other cruise lines to follow suit.

I saw that yesterday and it's kind of nuts.

Carnival and Princess have also cancelled excursions requiring ferries. I fully expect the other cruise lines to follow suit.

I saw it yesterday too. We've stopped there last three cruises, but upcoming we are doing East. Cozumel itself is so safe, hard to understand what the purpose was.

Didn't hit me until this morning to post here ... give folks a chance to change plans to something else.

Why the heck didn't we hear about this back on February 21 what a device exploded and people were hurt? Or on the 27th when Zetas claimed responsibility? I didn't hear about it and I have been planning a cruise.

This is a terrible thing for the people of Mexico who rely on tourism. If the cruise companies have pulled out, that's it for them. I know that I wouldn't take a private tour that needed a ferry because I wouldn't want something to happen that would cause me to miss my departure time.

Yep...luckily we had our excursion in Costa Maya last week. But, the port of Cozumel was busier than normal with all the ferry based cancellations to Playa de Carmen. Still, we disembarked early enough to maximize our time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter