Rude Rude Rude

It is the "special snowflake" syndrome. Parents are raising (or not) their kids to believe the world should revolve around them. So many parents I see are trying to be "friends" with their kids instead of being parents. I was raised by a strict parent and a "fun" parent (who still didn't take any guff from me). I recall many times seeing parents threaten their kids with "if you don't behave, we leaving [the park, the store, the ice cream parlor] and then they don't follow through. All that teaches the kid is that the parent is a pushover and won't actually leave [the park, the store, the ice cream parlor], so of course, the kid doesn't stop the bad behavior.

Every generation has said the "next" generation is the downfall of society, when people stopped family farms and moved to cities things were ruined, when factory workers became less relevant things were ruined. Now it's technology that is ruining things. I saw a post just today on Facebook about the attention spans of kids, how awful they are and blah blah blah. The honest truth is those complaining just are unwilling to see how the new world is operating, or how things are adapting. Kids are different, society is different. Essentially it's a group of people who is unwilling and unable to cope with the rapid change of society. Just because you were raised a certain way, or believe a certain way doesn't mean the rest of the world has to. People can either whine about it or learn to live in the new society. Or you can sit there and talk about "back in my day" and be a insufferable and lonely person.

Every generation has said the "next" generation is the downfall of society, when people stopped family farms and moved to cities things were ruined, when factory workers became less relevant things were ruined. Now it's technology that is ruining things. I saw a post just today on Facebook about the attention spans of kids, how awful they are and blah blah blah. The honest truth is those complaining just are unwilling to see how the new world is operating, or how things are adapting. Kids are different, society is different. Essentially it's a group of people who is unwilling and unable to cope with the rapid change of society. Just because you were raised a certain way, or believe a certain way doesn't mean the rest of the world has to. People can either whine about it or learn to live in the new society. Or you can sit there and talk about "back in my day" and be a insufferable and lonely person.
I'd agree with this if people weren't using crowd sourcing to raise money for vacations.

I'd agree with this if people weren't using crowd sourcing to raise money for vacations.

Or to fund their wedding, honey moon, house, pool etc. I don't get why this seems like the go to thing to do when you want something you can't afford. There are times when families/ person needs help getting their needs met but it really shouldn't be the way to get your wants met.

I talk to a lot of people from every age group each day at work. People call when there's a problem, so there is always a level of frustration, anger, fear, etc. involved.

I quickly learned that there are people who can experience the worst and still manage to be polite and self-aware, and treat others with respect no matter what.

Then there are people who feel they're owed everything, have zero self awareness, think they've always gotten the raw end of the deal, and truly believe they're more important than anyone else.

Rudeness and selfishness don't discriminate, and no one group carries most of the blame. The only thing we can do is be polite ourselves and be a good example. We're going to Disney in a few months and I'm planning to enjoy myself and shrug off the inevitable hiccups along the way. Not much else you can do.

I agree it is a society problem, heck even in my own extended family people treat one another horribly, just ruthless. That said, with Disney continually adding more and more hotel rooms, it will only get worse. The overcrowding just adds to the entitlement dysfunction.

I talk to a lot of people from every age group each day at work. People call when there's a problem, so there is always a level of frustration, anger, fear, etc. involved.

I quickly learned that there are people who can experience the worst and still manage to be polite and self-aware, and treat others with respect no matter what.

Then there are people who feel they're owed everything, have zero self awareness, think they've always gotten the raw end of the deal, and truly believe they're more important than anyone else.

Rudeness and selfishness don't discriminate, and no one group carries most of the blame. The only thing we can do is be polite ourselves and be a good example. We're going to Disney in a few months and I'm planning to enjoy myself and shrug off the inevitable hiccups along the way. Not much else you can do.

This. All this.

I know some extremely polite young people (heck, I'm trying to raise them) and some horribly entitled, rude older people. I tell my sons that every group has jerks. You don't let bullies get away with it, but you also choose your battles.

I have noticed a lot more rude people in recent visits... but that's just everywhere in general, now. Add on Disneyworld being large, crowded, hot, long lines, expensive, etc. and it probably makes people a little worse than normal, too. People also tend to get a little "relaxed" with discipline with their kids while on vacation, too. It's just a bad combination.

Or you can have a full and fulfilling life and still not like the younger generation for their idiocy.
Jesus... idiocy? Of an entire generation? I don't know what specifically you have a problem with, but it's certainly unfair to generalize an entire age group. Social Media wasn't around to broadcast previous generations' mistakes (or "idiocy" as you said) to the world.

Proud Disers unite! Let's start our own "Take back our World" movement.

Be part of the magic, at even the smallest opportunity. Smile at CMs and other guests, even the crankiness of them. Open a door, offer a seat. Steadfastly refuse to push in front, just because you can. Instead, offer to let a child have that coveted spot on the curb. After all, us grown ups can still see over most of them.

Get on board and act like you are a CM yourself... a CM you would be happy to encounter. Dust off the manners your mother worked so hard to instill and show them to your children and everyone around you. Think how very wonderful it would be to find yourself in the middle of a crowd of guests who acted like this. Start the ball rolling and it could happen!

Proud Disers unite! Let's start our own "Take back our World" movement.

Be part of the magic, at even the smallest opportunity. Smile at CMs and other guests, even the crankiness of them. Open a door, offer a seat. Steadfastly refuse to push in front, just because you can. Instead, offer to let a child have that coveted spot on the curb. After all, us grown ups can still see over most of them.

Get on board and act like you are a CM yourself... a CM you would be happy to encounter. Dust off the manners your mother worked so hard to instill and show them to your children and everyone around you. Think how very wonderful it would be to find yourself in the middle of a crowd of guests who acted like this. Start the ball rolling and it could happen!

I don't know... seems like a lot of work

It seems the magic happens more readily when you become part of it. What does it say though, when my memories of trips have turned from those of pure magic to complaints. I know take the time to learn a few phrases in several languages before I go, and have used them.

We can each only control how we behave. It is annoying when others stop in the middle of the walkway, but bumping into them, or getting angry, only wrecks your day more. Try and be the person you would want to see in the parks. It isn't always easy, that is for sure! My small contribution is to be overly polite. Making darned sure I say Please and Thank You and Excuse Me. The way many guests talk to the CMs and each other, no wonder they are aggravated.

Jesus... idiocy? Of an entire generation? I don't know what specifically you have a problem with, but it's certainly unfair to generalize an entire age group. Social Media wasn't around to broadcast previous generations' mistakes (or "idiocy" as you said) to the world.
I was merely generalizing an entire generation like the person before me was also generalizing an entire genre of individuals.

Following the resort thread about riding out the storm with great interest and hoping that folks let the situation bring out the best in themselves. Comments have been so positive; may that trend continue. Of course, a few days in a Disney resort, even under less than perfect conditions, is better than ........... (a lot of things could be filled in here!)

Courtesy will go a long way to making this storm a magical experience, for those lucky enough to be safe at WDW. My heart breaks for all the Texans, Floridian, and Caribbean residents who will be displaced -or worse - and have to see this beautiful part of the world so badly damaged.

For the animal lovers among us, there are some really cool pics of the new wave of 4-legged guests in the Disney resorts. Really, what can I can about a place that makes me want to be there at such a time????

By that definition Victoria and Alberts should be a Chuck E Cheese.
I dont understand the comparison....You can bet that if i am going to Victoria and Albert's that my expectations will be sky high, and if I feel the service is lousy or i didn't get what I paid for, I will definitely be irritated more then normal

I agree whole heartedly with the OP. People just push their way through crowds, don't say excuse me, whip their phones and ipads out directly in your face with zero concern for yours or others views, stand incredibly close to you, totally invading your personally space, try cutting in front of you in wide cues as if no one will notice. I blame parents. Even if I see a younger child misbehaving, I immediately think to myself, "where are their parents?". Disney world should be a fun place for everyone.

I often wondered why the parks don't have rule signs and rules of behavior in the park maps, on posters, as you enter, etc. I think you need to exit the park for example if you abusive (verbally, etc.) a cm with your mouth. You need to leave, that should be a hard fast rule written as you walk into the park. You need to be told unfortunately that toileting must be in the restrooms (yes, I have seen a child going #2 on the ground outside in the wdw park in the bushes last year). You need to be told not to smoke and that there are places to go for smoking on a rule board big and bold written everywhere. No littering. People have to told this. It's a private facility and what is common sense to me may not be common sense to others. Also, a vacation allows us to be on top of our beautiful small children 24/7 when many parents aren't just used to that because of work/school so causing stress 'just because'. I also notice others' beahviors more as my kids age and I am not supervising my small kids anymore in the parks so I see things I used to not see because my eyes were on my own kids not yours. Now my head is up, I can shop, I can watch shows , I can walk around and observe others behaviors. And yes, society is worse. Instead of saying 'shut up'which was bad enough in school the new verbage is: go kill yourself. yep, it just means go away, shut up, i don't like you, get away. Nice....

I often wondered why the parks don't have rule signs and rules of behavior in the park maps, on posters, as you enter, etc. I think you need to exit the park for example if you abusive (verbally, etc.) a cm with your mouth. You need to leave, that should be a hard fast rule written as you walk into the park. You need to be told unfortunately that toileting must be in the restrooms (yes, I have seen a child going #2 on the ground outside in the wdw park in the bushes last year). You need to be told not to smoke and that there are places to go for smoking on a rule board big and bold written everywhere. No littering. People have to told this. It's a private facility and what is common sense to me may not be common sense to others. Also, a vacation allows us to be on top of our beautiful small children 24/7 when many parents aren't just used to that because of work/school so causing stress 'just because'. I also notice others' beahviors more as my kids age and I am not supervising my small kids anymore in the parks so I see things I used to not see because my eyes were on my own kids not yours. Now my head is up, I can shop, I can watch shows , I can walk around and observe others behaviors. And yes, society is worse. Instead of saying 'shut up'which was bad enough in school the new verbage is: go kill yourself. yep, it just means go away, shut up, i don't like you, get away. Nice....

I agree with this 100%. Standards need to be withheld within the parks as well as resorts. So often we hear that the customer is always right, and it's just not true. Idc how much you paid to be here, your money doesn't mean you can act whatever which way and still be welcomed in the parks. Granted, I've never seen anything outlandish enough that would elicit someone being removed from the park, but that doesn't mean such things have never happened before.

I have never seen anything to be removed either (although a small child using a bush in wdw as a toilet possibly?!), but for sure there should be rules and consequences and enforced. But no one knows the rules, people come from all over the world with different norms and cultures, there needs to be literally a rule sign, rules of proper behavior in the guidebooks/maps/entries/posters as you enter. Maybe I think it's fine to scream at a cm, but if wdw tells me their rules and says it's not fine and you must leave the park if you do, then I will know this and behave accordingly (or not). It's a private place, they need to make rules clear to those who enter and what will happen if they break the rules. end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter