Rude Rude Rude

Common sense and decency and heck a regard for people other than yourselves does not make anyone holier than thou. There are times were judgment is right, people should feel shame. Maybe if more people did that we would all be better off on multiple levels.
I know but u are just missing my point and thats ok.. the people on here saying that a complete stranger should feel shame for doong something that u dont deem appropriate... hmmm my point is that another guest might look at u and shake their head for something U are doing.. thats why Im not a fan of these threads where people vent about strangers manners or habits...some of the people venting here prob do some goofball stuff at the parks too.. noone is perfect... and u guys know im right lol

I know but u are just missing my point and thats ok.. the people on here saying that a complete stranger should feel shame for doong something that u dont deem appropriate... hmmm my point is that another guest might look at u and shake their head for something U are doing.. thats why Im not a fan of these threads where people vent about strangers manners or habits...some of the people venting here prob do some goofball stuff at the parks too.. noone is perfect... and u guys know im right lol
This may all be true in theory, but it's stated in such a general way as to be essentially meaningless. Starting with the OP, posters are railing on specific behaviors that are obviously rude: pushing in crowds, phones and camera flashes in dark attractions, letting kids run wild where it's not appropriate. These are rude things and annoyances that you can see every day in the parks. Better to vent here than get in a fight about it at WDW I think.

And besides, without venting threads, what would happen to half the posts on these boards?? :teeth:

even if it is not goofball stuff - but there are things that some people will see as Rude and some things that others see as totally fine - and even more drastic when it involves people from other countries where the social norms are totally different. So who is the "Czar" that determines what is rude and needs to be called out and shamed and what is ok? Do we vote on it?

No, I'm not missing your point. What I'm saying, or at least was trying to say delicately, is that your point isn't really valid. Common courtesy has been lost. Genuine kindness, genuine respect for other peoples existence. Example: There is no need to put your child on your shoulders during a show. You are blocking others view. But many people are very "me, me, me" and so they don't care. No one is asking for perfection. What we are asking for is decent, respectful behavior. You know how Disney Tokyo solves this? Everyone has to sit for parades and for shows. Example It is polite to say Good Morning to people upon seeing them or thank you when someone holds the door. These are common courtesy actions that many people no longer care to display.

No, I'm not missing your point. What I'm saying, or at least was trying to say delicately, is that your point isn't really valid. Common courtesy has been lost. Genuine kindness, genuine respect for other peoples existence. Example: There is no need to put your child on your shoulders during a show. You are blocking others view. But many people are very "me, me, me" and so they don't care. No one is asking for perfection. What we are asking for is decent, respectful behavior. You know how Disney Tokyo solves this? Everyone has to sit for parades and for shows. Example It is polite to say Good Morning to people upon seeing them or thank you when someone holds the door. These are common courtesy actions that many people no longer care to display.
U can say my point isnt valid all you want. It is 100% valid. U disagree and thats fine. Example.... u might be the person who runs over my foot with a stroller.it might be a total accident on your part but it drives me crazy... 10 mins later i cut in front of someone at Cosmic Rays(accident of course lol). I might not even know I did it but people behind me wanna punch me for it... it all comes around in the end....

When I was a child, I lived in fear of my parents. If I crashed into someone when walking, you better believe I knew how to appologise using full sentences and then watched my step the rest of the day or I would get such a lecture on manners and behavior.

If I was rude or kept forgetting to say ‘thank you’ I would be punished either by getting a pocket money punishment or extra tasks around the house.

I got my bottom smacked when I was really naughty. Not something everyone agrees with but it didnt at all traumatise me.

Now a days, I feel like (or at least in the UK) people are scared to discipline kids. Teachers get sacked for everything so many schools have a no hugging, no touching, no shouting policy. If you smack your kid you go to jail. So we have entitled kids who have no respect and no manners who get away with everything... that then grow up into exactly the people this post is about. The ‘me me me’ generation.

Add to this over crowding and warm weather.. recipe for disaster!!

I should add that I am trying this whole ‘be a zen person’ thing where I try to not be too affected by other people and just focus on myself and my behavior. But there are moments where it can be VERY testing and I personally find that feeling overwhelmed by crowds make all my positive changes fly out the window! Just my 2cents..

The funny thing is...I don't think this has anything to do with Disney. I'm in several Facebook and forum groups for a handful of vacation destinations of interest and this same kind of ranting about rude guests comes up all the time. Just today, I was in one of my Yellowstone groups and if I didn't know any better, it could have easily been a Disney group. Ya know...overcrowding, rude entitled people stopping here or doing this or that and causing this or that problem, and so on.

I'm not sure if it's an overall degradation of societal standards, if we as travelers become more intolerant as we age and get more trips under our belts, or some combination...but it's most definitely not unique to Disney. So, arguing with Disney specific reasoning probably isn't going to help.

Except that I like my phone too much to risk having it snatched and broken, I have been sooooooo tempted to take a photo of kids climbing on _____________ and then when the parents react explain that I'm a Disney stockholder and when their kid falls and gets hurt and they sue I want to have proof that it was negligent parents and not Disney that was at fault. Soooooo tempted!

The funny thing is...I don't think this has anything to do with Disney. I'm in several Facebook and forum groups for a handful of vacation destinations of interest and this same kind of ranting about rude guests comes up all the time. Just today, I was in one of my Yellowstone groups and if I didn't know any better, it could have easily been a Disney group. Ya know...overcrowding, rude entitled people stopping here or doing this or that and causing this or that problem, and so on.

I'm not sure if it's an overall degradation of societal standards, if we as travelers become more intolerant as we age and get more trips under our belts, or some combination...but it's most definitely not unique to Disney. So, arguing with Disney specific reasoning probably isn't going to help.

Definitely not Disney specific - see it in society in general, but when you add in the crowds and the high price point for Disney vs other options I am sure it can even be worse at Disney

And I also think Social Media isn't helping ... there were probably some issues in the past but not the Web to vent about it and then other people add in how they saw it too, etc. - so I think that make people even more aware of it

Definitely not Disney specific - see it in society in general, but when you add in the crowds and the high price point for Disney vs other options I am sure it can even be worse at Disney

And I also think Social Media isn't helping ... there were probably some issues in the past but not the Web to vent about it and then other people add in how they saw it too, etc. - so I think that make people even more aware of it

While Disney ticket costs may make it seem like it's a higher price point, it's actually a more affordable trip than many of the other popular destinations. In the case of Yellowstone, park entry may be cheap in comparison, but the cost of getting there and having transportation while there more than makes up that cost difference...unless you're willing to burn an excessive amount of vacation days on an extra long road trip...which most people are not going to do. i.e. 5-6+ road days is too wasteful. Air options are also limited into this part of the country and typically priced 2-4x higher than anything I've had into MCO. In fact, the harder it is to get someplace, the more entitled people seem to feel as well. And the majority of the lodging inside the park is on par with the pricing of Disney mod to deluxe resorts, so there's certainly no lodging savings unless you've wrangled one of the rustic more economical options. In general, lodging in the park is significantly more difficult to secure than anything involving a Disney park...even during peak times. And while there are a few access points that have lodging that might be easier to book, staying offsite at a place like Yellowstone isn't nearly as convenient or cheap as staying offsite for a Disney park. And while dining options aren't as plentiful, the main hotel dining rooms require reservations, advanced booking preferences are extended to guests of those specific hotels, and since it's not a place you generally want to be driving after dark, demand at home resorts is high. So, lots of "I paid this much" and "I had to work this hard to get this for us" at play.

Alternately, let's look at ski trips. A good number of ski resorts have major airports that are close enough that you won't be paying Yellowstone kind of prices for air, but many people are looking for ski in/ski out and don't want to have to drive on winding icy mountain roads. So, they pay heavy price tags for airport shuttles to and from resorts, and upper end deluxe pricing for ski in/ski out convenience. Daily lift tickets and gear rentals often eclipse Disney gate ticket prices and unlike Disney, which goes into the nighttime hours, your ski day is often done between 4-5pm.

The point I'm making is that in a Disney focused group, people often assume that Disney is this in this ultra high price point above other popular trips, when that's really not the case. Yellowstone usually costs us a couple thousand more than a nice onsite stay at Disney...and that's with cutting a lot of corners for YNP. In 2015, we blended ski time and Disneyland time and our ski days cost more than double what any of our Disney days cost...and that too was without any real splurging. I'm by no means suggesting that Disney is a bargain basement trip, but after planning enough trips and seeing all of the ways you can save, I don't consider Disney to be in this higher price point than other top vacation spots.

Obviously, there are crowds in the Disney parks, but any popular spot will have crowds. Old Faithful's crowds in peak season can rival the feeling of waiting for fireworks in a Disney park at peak. And while you won't be walking around in most parts of YNP and feeling the crowds like you would at Disney, you will be sharing the road with them since many people choose to drive around the grand loop to look for wildlife and scenic vistas. So, imagine all of the hate people have for the so-called rude guests who stop dead in their tracks in the middle of MSUSA or "drive" erratically with their strollers...and put them behind the wheel of a car behaving the same way while touring YNP. Or if you want to use a skiing example...at Disney, we always hear about lines...but if you're skiing at a peak time or a weekend, you'll likely spend 70-80% of your day in lines waiting to get up on the lifts. You'll certainly encounter a lot of bad behavior when people have to do that much waiting. So, your crowd challenges might not be mirror images to Disney's, but the entitlement blended with the crowd frustrations can breed equally frustrating rude behavior.

While Disney ticket costs may make it seem like it's a higher price point, it's actually a more affordable trip than many of the other popular destinations. In the case of Yellowstone, park entry may be cheap in comparison, but the cost of getting there and having transportation while there more than makes up that cost difference...unless you're willing to burn an excessive amount of vacation days on an extra long road trip...which most people are not going to do. i.e. 5-6+ road days is too wasteful. Air options are also limited into this part of the country and typically priced 2-4x higher than anything I've had into MCO. In fact, the harder it is to get someplace, the more entitled people seem to feel as well. And the majority of the lodging inside the park is on par with the pricing of Disney mod to deluxe resorts, so there's certainly no lodging savings unless you've wrangled one of the rustic more economical options. In general, lodging in the park is significantly more difficult to secure than anything involving a Disney park...even during peak times. And while there are a few access points that have lodging that might be easier to book, staying offsite at a place like Yellowstone isn't nearly as convenient or cheap as staying offsite for a Disney park. And while dining options aren't as plentiful, the main hotel dining rooms require reservations, advanced booking preferences are extended to guests of those specific hotels, and since it's not a place you generally want to be driving after dark, demand at home resorts is high. So, lots of "I paid this much" and "I had to work this hard to get this for us" at play.

Alternately, let's look at ski trips. A good number of ski resorts have major airports that are close enough that you won't be paying Yellowstone kind of prices for air, but many people are looking for ski in/ski out and don't want to have to drive on winding icy mountain roads. So, they pay heavy price tags for airport shuttles to and from resorts, and upper end deluxe pricing for ski in/ski out convenience. Daily lift tickets and gear rentals often eclipse Disney gate ticket prices and unlike Disney, which goes into the nighttime hours, your ski day is often done between 4-5pm.

The point I'm making is that in a Disney focused group, people often assume that Disney is this in this ultra high price point above other popular trips, when that's really not the case. Yellowstone usually costs us a couple thousand more than a nice onsite stay at Disney...and that's with cutting a lot of corners for YNP. In 2015, we blended ski time and Disneyland time and our ski days cost more than double what any of our Disney days cost...and that too was without any real splurging. I'm by no means suggesting that Disney is a bargain basement trip, but after planning enough trips and seeing all of the ways you can save, I don't consider Disney to be in this higher price point than other top vacation spots.

Obviously, there are crowds in the Disney parks, but any popular spot will have crowds. Old Faithful's crowds in peak season can rival the feeling of waiting for fireworks in a Disney park at peak. And while you won't be walking around in most parts of YNP and feeling the crowds like you would at Disney, you will be sharing the road with them since many people choose to drive around the grand loop to look for wildlife and scenic vistas. So, imagine all of the hate people have for the so-called rude guests who stop dead in their tracks in the middle of MSUSA or "drive" erratically with their strollers...and put them behind the wheel of a car behaving the same way while touring YNP. Or if you want to use a skiing example...at Disney, we always hear about lines...but if you're skiing at a peak time or a weekend, you'll likely spend 70-80% of your day in lines waiting to get up on the lifts. You'll certainly encounter a lot of bad behavior when people have to do that much waiting. So, your crowd challenges might not be mirror images to Disney's, but the entitlement blended with the crowd frustrations can breed equally frustrating rude behavior.

Certainly can see that - though I think the examples you picked are also rather expensive options and not the type of thing the average family could do every year

So perhaps not unique to disney but I think anything that involves a lot of $ for the average family, and waiting in line (and add in the heat of Florida) and nerves are going to be on edge so bad behavior can be heightened

Certainly can see that - though I think the examples you picked are also rather expensive options and not the type of thing the average family could do every year

So perhaps not unique to disney but I think anything that involves a lot of $ for the average family, and waiting in line (and add in the heat of Florida) and nerves are going to be on edge so bad behavior can be heightened

My argument was based on you saying...
the high price point for Disney vs other options I am sure it can even be worse at Disney

I read this as you saying Disney is strictly a a high price point vacation and worse than others for that reason. The average vacation cost for a family of 4 in the US in 2017 was around $4600, and while we don't have 2018 averages, I could spend a week at Disney in August 2018 (stay at Pop, 5 day park tickets, quick service DDP) and come in around $3600 for my family of 4. If I make it a road trip, I won't even break the $4k mark for the trip. Now obviously, I could fly and stay at a nicer place or throw in a bunch of TS meals to make this more $$$, but I could also stay offsite, buy groceries for some of our meals and buy tickets from Undercover Tourist to make it even more economical. So, for this reason, I don't know if vacation cost is a valid argument.

As for crowds and weather conditions...I've seen poor behavior when Disney was a ghost town just as much as it is when it's crowded. We've also seen rudeness in 30-40 degree park days and 90 degree park days. Honestly, some of the rudest people I've encountered in the parks were in colder temps. I think we tend to think it's worse, wherever it is, if it impacted us directly...but there seem to be issues everywhere we travel in the US, regardless of conditions, locations, cost, time of year, etc.

My argument was based on you saying...

I read this as you saying Disney is strictly a a high price point vacation and worse than others for that reason. The average vacation cost for a family of 4 in the US in 2017 was around $4600, and while we don't have 2018 averages, I could spend a week at Disney in August 2018 (stay at Pop, 5 day park tickets, quick service DDP) and come in around $3600 for my family of 4. If I make it a road trip, I won't even break the $4k mark for the trip. Now obviously, I could fly and stay at a nicer place or throw in a bunch of TS meals to make this more $$$, but I could also stay offsite, buy groceries for some of our meals and buy tickets from Undercover Tourist to make it even more economical. So, for this reason, I don't know if vacation cost is a valid argument.

As for crowds and weather conditions...I've seen poor behavior when Disney was a ghost town just as much as it is when it's crowded. We've also seen rudeness in 30-40 degree park days and 90 degree park days. Honestly, some of the rudest people I've encountered in the parks were in colder temps. I think we tend to think it's worse, wherever it is, if it impacted us directly...but there seem to be issues everywhere we travel in the US, regardless of conditions, locations, cost, time of year, etc.

Ok, guess I should have said “the high price of Disney and other expensive options vs many (but not all) other vacation options.” $4,600 is way more than most people I know spend on an annual vacation - but is what it is I guess

And yes, people can be rude whenever - and sure it is based on what we have experienced, but I don’t see how crowds and heat wouldn’t put people even more on edge

If you don’t think so then we’ll have to agree to disagree

While the typical rudeness of adults never fails to drive me bonkers, it is definitely the lack of discipline and lazy parenting that gets me. I get that they are probably exhausted, and maybe they have been reprimanding their kids all day, but allowing your child to ruin the experience for others is never, ever okay. I took the kids I nanny for to a science museum a few weeks ago and there were children climbing, yes I said CLIMBING on exhibits. One was even on the back of a dinosaur riding it like a horse! This happened in full view of the parents who were standing not 2 feet away, staring down at their phones. In the next room I watched in horror as a toddler ducked under a roped off exhibit, squatted down and pooped (in his pants not on the exhibit!) I tapped the mother on the shoulder and pointed towards her child. She looked at him, looked back at me and shrugged. She made no move to get that kid out of there. It was easier for her to let him do it than to retrieve him, and possibly set off a tantrum. I get that Disney is overwhelming and overstimulating which can cause lots of meltdowns (this is normal and totally understandable), but that is not an excuse to let your kid scream their way through a show, stand on a chair blocking the view, kick the back of my chair, or be unreasonably disruptive. We ALL paid for this experience and mine is no less important than your kids. I went to WDW as a child several times and if I had acted like that my parents would have sat my butt on a bench for the day while everyone else rode the rides. Sorry for the rant, but it drives me crazy.

The reason I dont dig these threads is because everybody who complains on here always says "they" or "those parents who....". Thats right people keep wearing that halo. Its we not they

The reason I dont dig these threads is because everybody who complains on here always says "they" or "those parents who....". Thats right people keep wearing that halo. Its we not they
While you have a point, some of this is a They problem. I don't think I am perfect, I am positive that I have offended or annoyed people from time to time, and I will freely admit it and apologize if it is brought to my attention. From what I have read on this thread people aren't complaining about your run of the mill stuff, they are complaining about others who are blatantly rude or have no regard for the rules, or for others. Would you allow your child to stand on a chair in front of another guest during a performance? If not that's great, but there are people who choose to look the other way. I don't think I am being judgmental for being offended by the child I referenced in my post who was pooping in a museum exhibit. And my example isn't extreme, I see this kind of stuff all the time.

I know I never ever allowed a child to roll on the ground in a restaurant. Was witness to that lovely display at Le Ceiller a few years back. They almost took out multiple waiters/waitresses, and when the parents finally tried to coral them, they knocked their drinks over and ate so fast they started gagging. I learned at an early age how to behave when we went out for dinner, as any meal out was a huge luxury. And that was passed down to the following generation.

I know I never ever allowed a child to roll on the ground in a restaurant. Was witness to that lovely display at Le Ceiller a few years back. They almost took out multiple waiters/waitresses, and when the parents finally tried to coral them, they knocked their drinks over and ate so fast they started gagging. I learned at an early age how to behave when we went out for dinner, as any meal out was a huge luxury. And that was passed down to the following generation.
Granted your table manners might be impeccable.... I still think that judging strangers in the parks is still wrong. Maybe they had a crappy childhood and honestly dont know right from wrong... I will say that if someone is offending people on purpose then I dont have a defense for that lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!