Rude Rude Rude

just a bit of a rant here, but it seems like every year I go to Disney, the people get more and more rude, pushy, and overall unbelievable with what they let their kids do.

A day has not gone by where I have not been stepped on, slammed into, or pushed. All for these people to get ahead 30 seconds - or in the case after the fireworks, to get no where fast. Or stopping in the middle of walkways, when there are people walking behind you, just to look at their phone or a map, or talk. Running people over with strollers. No im sorry ever muttered.

Let's talk about the amount of children I've seen standing on chairs at shows, jumping on them- in the middle of dark shows. Completely limiting the views of those behind them. And the mickey ears- no one takes them off for shows anymore, again with the view problems.

And the masses of phones and external lighting at the fireworks! It's terrible!

It's unbelievable how completely oblivious, rude, and self centered 75% of the people currently in wdw are.

Rant over, for now. Ann I just overly sensitive or does everyone experience this nonsens?! Will enjoy my remaining days!

It's not you. People are rude and it's getting worse all the time. I guess it's not just Americans either. The large groups of people/teens are super rude. Another poster wrote (and I agree) all you can really do at this point is positively reinforce good behavior when you see it. Praise the few individuals/children who act in a kind, well mannered way. I raised two kind sons, even when they were like 10 y/o they would get up out of their seat on the bus if an elderly person got on, or a mother with an infant. I didn't have to tell them. People have become lazy and have opted to be their kids best friends instead of doing the hard work of being a parent. Kids need rules. Kids actually are happier with rules and parents that give guidelines. The problem is, nowadays most parents were raised by parents who didn't expect good behavior. So the problem is becoming generational. I fear it will only get worse as time goes on.

Honesty, at this point I just ignore the rudeness and make an effort to be extra polite in order to try and balance it out. If someone is berating a CM or another person, then I say something, but otherwise I don't because, well, I was raised to believe that's rude. I just give the the look of silent Canadian disapproval lol which I doubt they notice.

When I see people being rude at Disney, I don't generally feel angry, I just feel a bit sad and can't help thinking... why? Why would they choose to act like that? Because it is a choice. The way I was raised, manners matter. The are very much part of who I am, and I was taught very young that it's expected of us. And if we travel to other countries and present ourselves as rude, we're making ourselves - and all Canadians - look bad. Oddly I feel the need to be extra polite when I'm in another country because I don't want to be the bad example for Canada. I don't know why anyone would want that.

Do I think it will change? Well, I always hope that when some of those people get home they give their heads a shake and resolve never to act like that again. Maybe they do... but I think most probably don't. I think the best we can do is learn from their bad behaviour. When you see someone doing something you think is rude, think on it. Think, 'do I ever do that?', and a make point not to. Maybe those rude people can help us attempt be better. :thumbsup2

Speaking of rude, something really weird happened to me at a concert for my daughter the other day. My husband was running late and I saved a seat for him. There were other seats around. However, about 5 mins from starting time a woman sat down in his seat and I politely told her that my husband was sitting there and he's on his way and she refused to get up! I even told her there are other seats and pointed to them and she said, "Why does he have to sit in this seat???" I saved the aisle for him so that he could easily slip in without anyone having to get up in case people were filming, etc behind us.

Wow. I was speechless. It was a good teaching moment for my 9 year old who was with me. With my response (which was to let it go) I showed her never to forget her manners, even when someone is being incredibly rude and low class.

Speaking of rude, something really weird happened to me at a concert for my daughter the other day. My husband was running late and I saved a seat for him. There were other seats around. However, about 5 mins from starting time a woman sat down in his seat and I politely told her that my husband was sitting there and he's on his way and she refused to get up! I even told her there are other seats and pointed to them and she said, "Why does he have to sit in this seat???" I saved the aisle for him so that he could easily slip in without anyone having to get up in case people were filming, etc behind us.

Wow. I was speechless. It was a good teaching moment for my 9 year old who was with me. With my response (which was to let it go) I showed her never to forget her manners, even when someone is being incredibly rude and low class.
Wow - sorry that happened to you, must have ruined a happy day/experience/memory for you, how sad! :( Nice that you were able to retain your composure, and turn it into a teachable moment. Bravo for you! I just wish that those of us who manage to be/do that wouldn't have to continually "rise above" - would be nice (and refreshing!) if others would learn to do that as well, don't take much!

What a ————! Next time, keep something like your purse or jacket on the empty chair.

just a bit of a rant here, but it seems like every year I go to Disney, the people get more and more rude, pushy, and overall unbelievable with what they let their kids do.

A day has not gone by where I have not been stepped on, slammed into, or pushed. All for these people to get ahead 30 seconds - or in the case after the fireworks, to get no where fast. Or stopping in the middle of walkways, when there are people walking behind you, just to look at their phone or a map, or talk. Running people over with strollers. No im sorry ever muttered.

Let's talk about the amount of children I've seen standing on chairs at shows, jumping on them- in the middle of dark shows. Completely limiting the views of those behind them. And the mickey ears- no one takes them off for shows anymore, again with the view problems.

It's unbelievable how completely oblivious, rude, and self centered 75% of the people currently in wdw are.

Rant over, for now. Ann I just overly sensitive or does everyone experience this nonsens?! Will enjoy my remaining days!

As time has gone by I noticed that my mine set has drastically changed. I used to be in a bit of hurry but if i run into someone i say excuse me. I hold doors open and when someone shows me the same kindness i say thank you.
Today I am alone my blood family is gone. I am left to walking and riding things by myself. I mostly stroll through the park and ride what i get an urge for so the people who are moving forward I give the way to. I am at a point where it doesn't bother me anymore. I am retired and a new transplant so I have my Disney dream.
The only thing I regret is the way disney used to be. I think when Mr Disney was alive the parks had that certain feel to it but now I get the feeling of Disney the Corporation and not the man.

I have noticed this everywhere in general. And no one standing for old people ***? And I am far from perfect. Need to kaizen my behaviour

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter