ruff....ruff .... this should be fun

dalt01

DIS Veteran
resort board is already frothing at the mouth and we havent even scratched the surface. its gonna get hairy for a while because now you can have your dog in your room at disney. we might get a whole show about this next week.

Last edited:
I've brought my dog(s) to hotels and stayed at hotels that allowed dogs when I didn't have mine with me. As long as the hotel enforces their rules about where the dogs are/aren't allowed and kicks out people who's dogs are disruptive I'm all for it.

lots of opinions on resort board and rumor board if you want. i think the downfall will be people leaving them alone while they go about their vacation. i know, it will not be allowed but trust me.................................

I don't have a good feeling about this and my daughter has 4 legs. DH and I do not have children. She is a peppy 12 yr old Jack Russell Terrier and cute as a button. No way in hell would I put her in a room by herself anywhere unfamiliar and then leave. It would be too traumatic...I could care less about the guest next door....Lord if they decide to mow the grass by our room...it would be

Armageddon !!! And we would be asked to leave...not going to be good folks, mark my words....this has "New Formula for Coke" written all over it.

a number of years ago we stayed at the portofino at universal and i was shocked to learn they allowed dogs...
when we checked in there was a huge dog in the lobbly with no muzzle and i actually questioned the concierge person regarding the wisdom of that particular dog being permitted in the lobby without a muzzle..
well only about 10 minutes passed when the same dog viciously bit the face of an 8 year old boy staying at the hotel...
(what brought it to our attention.....the many police and paramedics who swarmed through the lobby)..
admittedly i felt vindicated over my misgivings...
the boy was rushed to the hospital with very serious facial injuries...i assume that many years later he still has the physical and emotional scars...

and i still think it's irresponsible to permit unmuzzled dogs in a hotel...(and i say that as a long time dog owner)...

a number of years ago we stayed at the portofino at universal and i was shocked to learn they allowed dogs...
when we checked in there was a huge dog in the lobbly with no muzzle and i actually questioned the concierge person regarding the wisdom of that particular dog being permitted in the lobby without a muzzle..
well only about 10 minutes passed when the same dog viciously bit the face of an 8 year old boy staying at the hotel...
(what brought it to our attention.....the many police and paramedics who swarmed through the lobby)..
admittedly i felt vindicated over my misgivings...
the boy was rushed to the hospital with very serious facial injuries...i assume that many years later he still has the physical and emotional scars...

and i still think it's irresponsible to permit unmuzzled dogs in a hotel...(and i say that as a long time dog owner)...

Please consider sharing your story and letting Disney World Management know how you feel about this. They are presently reformulating some aspects of their new dog program and the more information they have might help this process:

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com

absolutely positively guarantee that sooner or later there will be a bite and the family will envision their name on the entrance gate. maybe then someone will get their logic back. love dogs, have 2 and they are great until they aren't

well unfortunately, disney self-insures....
so there is no responsible insurance risk assessor to explain to them the high liability risk of this new policy.
it's the same reason they got into alligator problems.
No risk assessment by an independent outside source.

I discussed this policy with our vet. Our dogs stay home with sitters. He agrees that eventually a dog will bite someone, a dog will get loose and dogs will get in a fight. Especially since there is not weight or breed restriction. I still can't fathom why anyone thinks the hurricane situation, trained service dogs or other pet friendly hotels is even remotely the same as this. Most other pet friendly hotels are not near daily fireworks, if any. They are also not located where people are out of their rooms as often as Disney guests are. The dogs are going to, if guests follow the rules, be stuck in a room. Not much fun, for that doggy.

Last edited:
I discussed this policy with our vet. Our dogs stay home with sitters. He agrees that eventually a dog will bite someone, a dog will get loose and dogs will get in a fight. Especially since there is not weight or breed restriction. I still can't fathom why anyone thinks the hurricane situation, trained service dogs or other pet friendly hotels is even remotely the same as this. Most other pet friendly hotels are not near daily fireworks, if any. They are also not located where people are out of their rooms as often as Disney guests are. The dogs are going to, if guests follow the rules, be stuck in a room. Not much fun, for that doggy.
that is the best point i have heard yet..........most dogs freak out at explosions. and they are going to be alone in a strange place.

I don't have a problem with it myself, but then again, I probably have very different experiences with dogs in hotel rooms than the average guest. I show my dogs. We travel a LOT, which means that my dogs are desensitized to hotel stays from the time they are very young. They are crate trained and potty trained. They don't suffer from separation anxiety because I take training seriously, and we *practice* periods of separation starting at home (it would be nuts for anyone to bring an inexperienced traveler on a Disney vacation and then leave them in a room for 8 hours and expect it to go well).

There's no unnecessary barking. I stay on top of grooming so the shedding is kept at a minimum, and I bring sheets/throws to cover any furniture they might be invited on (key word...*invited* LOL!). I dremel their nails so they are kept smooth and rounded to avoid scratching floors or furniture.

I'm also really careful about management when I walk my dogs. No Flexi leashes, no nose-to-nose greetings with other dogs, no children petting my dogs unless they specifically ask (and those that rush up first without asking, get a very polite lesson on how important it is to do so!) Essentially, when I am with my dogs, I am *on.* Most people involved in dog shows are. We know that poor management can end our ability to stay in hotels with our dogs, and thus make it very difficult to get to out-of-town shows.

When I travel with my dogs, they come FIRST period- that's just good animal husbandry. Our National Specialty is in Florida this year- were I entered, I would personally get a kick out of staying on Disney property. That being said, it would definitely change the way I did my WDW vacation. Hopefully those that do bring their dogs, do so with an understanding of what their pet is or is not prepared for, and adjust accordingly.

I don't have a problem with it myself, but then again, I probably have very different experiences with dogs in hotel rooms than the average guest. I show my dogs. We travel a LOT, which means that my dogs are desensitized to hotel stays from the time they are very young. They are crate trained and potty trained. They don't suffer from separation anxiety because I take training seriously, and we *practice* periods of separation starting at home (it would be nuts for anyone to bring an inexperienced traveler on a Disney vacation and then leave them in a room for 8 hours and expect it to go well).

There's no unnecessary barking. I stay on top of grooming so the shedding is kept at a minimum, and I bring sheets/throws to cover any furniture they might be invited on (key word...*invited* LOL!). I dremel their nails so they are kept smooth and rounded to avoid scratching floors or furniture.

I'm also really careful about management when I walk my dogs. No Flexi leashes, no nose-to-nose greetings with other dogs, no children petting my dogs unless they specifically ask (and those that rush up first without asking, get a very polite lesson on how important it is to do so!) Essentially, when I am with my dogs, I am *on.* Most people involved in dog shows are. We know that poor management can end our ability to stay in hotels with our dogs, and thus make it very difficult to get to out-of-town shows.

When I travel with my dogs, they come FIRST period- that's just good animal husbandry. Our National Specialty is in Florida this year- were I entered, I would personally get a kick out of staying on Disney property. That being said, it would definitely change the way I did my WDW vacation. Hopefully those that do bring their dogs, do so with an understanding of what their pet is or is not prepared for, and adjust accordingly.

Exactly, you are very aware of your dogs and how to keep them safe and as you said from a very young age they are used to this. In the same way trained service dogs are. If only everyone that traveled with a dog could be as responsible as you, then my concerns over this would be greatly decreased. Sadly we all know that will be not be the case. It will be, "my dog has never run out the door" as the dog is racing down a hallway, " my dog has never bit anyone", my dog never gets in fights, etc. etc.

Saw this on the news this morning - firstly made me laugh but secondly made we think of this new policy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41716115
(French President Macron dog weeing on an Elysee Fireplace).

And his explanation was ( "You've triggered completely unusual behaviour in my dog," Mr Macron responds.)

Dog can act in different ways in different situation, so you might have a really well trained dog and the next thing you know it's weeing all over the lobby.

Also I did have another thought, where are the dog walking tracks - especially round the YC would they be walking along the boardwalk area? Just thinking about the Surrey Bikes, out door seating/eating areas and the general hub-bub.

Saw this on the news this morning - firstly made me laugh but secondly made we think of this new policy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41716115
(French President Macron dog weeing on an Elysee Fireplace).

And his explanation was ( "You've triggered completely unusual behaviour in my dog," Mr Macron responds.)

Dog can act in different ways in different situation, so you might have a really well trained dog and the next thing you know it's weeing all over the lobby.

Also I did have another thought, where are the dog walking tracks - especially round the YC would they be walking along the boardwalk area? Just thinking about the Surrey Bikes, out door seating/eating areas and the general hub-bub.
@k8Davies I saw this too, and admit - giggled like a school girl. :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter