Rumor: Disney Vacation Club Raising Sold-Out Resort Prices

DVCexplorer.com (username: welcome, password = home) has all the new prices listed, but not in an easy to use table. You have to look at each resort, click on the resort name and you'll get the loan & dues information.

But the price increase did go into effect. VGC is listed @ $280/point, for example. OKW @ $165, etc.
Intriguing site...what do you fill out for “reference”?

Last edited:
Reminder...please let’s stay on topic and not get into a discussion that could lead to a closed thread!

Glad I saw this before I jumped into a deep discussion on the global labor economy...

Thanks for keeping us on track Sandi :)

Not sure what you are asking.

DVCexplorer is a DVC-owned website.
I tried the site also and, in addition to username and password, there is a box in the middle that asks for a "reference" I could not get in using just welcome & home

I can confirm the increase. Glad to have at least saved $1000 by calling DVC earlier this week, and luck had it that the waitlist opened up for us today.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are asking.

DVCexplorer is a DVC-owned website.
...sorry, there is a field for:
login:
reference:
password:

Just wanted to know what to put in for, "reference".

Looks like issue bypassed with your new URL. Thanks.

Got to wonder who is buying at those prices when resale is so much cheaper. The perks are nicer but not that much nicer to buy direct.

Got to wonder who is buying at those prices when resale is so much cheaper. The perks are nicer but not that much nicer to buy direct.
The real question is why would anyone who already owns and has the perks ever buy direct? That part I do find a bit confusing, the savings are indeed massive in resale (and the gap continues to grow).

The real question is why would anyone who already owns and has the perks ever buy direct? That part I do find a bit confusing, the savings are indeed massive in resale (and the gap continues to grow).
They buy for speed, value and/or particular use year or resort. Some are just willing to pay for speed and convenience. Value is not only about the money.

Sometimes the resale market just doesn't have what is wanted. People get tired of looking for their "unicorn".

The "savings" from resale can be small, especially if the contract is stripped.

The wait to actually close can be long if all you can find is "can't close until xx/xx/xx".

There are several reasons and each sale/Member is different.

Look at my situation. I was able to sell BWV at a nice profit, buy RiV with my kids as owners which gave me a contract that lasted 28 years longerl

That 28 years is not for me, it’s for them. When all was said and done, my net cost for buying direct was around $120.

Unique,,yes,, But my kids wanted in, and DH and I decided it made sense to spend the money to do this for them.

I guess it depends on the contract but within any 30 day period on the resale market there is pretty decent supply. Also I have heard about lots of wait lists direct so I didn't anticipate there would be a "speed" argument. I am sorry but in general savings are not "small". Perhaps on certain contracts they are not massive, but the stripped or loaded contracts have that priced in.

I have no problem with people buying direct, your reasons just don't make a lot of sense to me still. If they have points available to buy direct I agree it may be faster, I just wouldn't pay 250 for vgf when I can get it for 150-160 in resale to save myself 45 days. On 100 points that is $8 grand. On the contract I just purchased at Akv it was about $8000 plus I got an extra 300 points up front vs buying direct. Already being an owner direct, not sure why I'd throw that money away.

Look at my situation. I was able to sell BWV at a nice profit, buy RiV with my kids as owners which gave me a contract that lasted 28 years longerl

That 28 years is not for me, it’s for them. When all was said and done, my net cost for buying direct was around $120.

Unique,,yes,, But my kids wanted in, and DH and I decided it made sense to spend the money to do this for them.
I guess I wasn't really including RIV in the discussion either since the product is so different from the others. The argument could also be made that you could have sold your contract and bought another of the longer term contracts on resale. Even if you bought the Riv resale you would have saved even more money or gotten more points.

I consider Riv a weird situation that I cannot figure out either. People on here bash it but say buy where you want to stay. So why would they care about the restrictions in buying resale? I don't see there being this massive availability problem since there won't be a ton of contracts ever that are resale. The other side of that is if you buy Riv direct, you should plan to stay there almost exclusively to get value out of your direct purchase (you paid more to go direct and to get Riv). On the same level why not go Riv resale if you already own; looks like the savings resale are a similarly about $50-$80 pp and there are still 50 years left on those contracts.

I guess I wasn't really including RIV in the discussion either since the product is so different from the others. The argument could also be made that you could have sold your contract and bought another of the longer term contracts on resale. Even if you bought the Riv resale you would have saved even more money or gotten more points.

I consider Riv a weird situation that I cannot figure out either. People on here bash it but say buy where you want to stay. So why would they care about the restrictions in buying resale? I don't see there being this massive availability problem since there won't be a ton of contracts ever that are resale. The other side of that is if you buy Riv direct, you should plan to stay there almost exclusively to get value out of your direct purchase (you paid more to go direct and to get Riv). On the same level why not go Riv resale if you already own; looks like the savings resale are a similarly about $50-$80 pp and there are still 50 years left on those contracts.

I also cannot reconcile the advice on this board of buy where you want to stay, but Riviera is the worst because it follows this theory. Oh well.

Regarding buying Riviera resale vs direct, I can tell you why we did it. Typically, the initial offer to current owners is better than resale a few years down the road. I paid $170pp when you took into account my incentives. If the direct prices and hotel prices keep rising, then I think I will have paid a decent price a few years from now, plus I get all the perks of direct. This is the first contract that may last longer than I do. I want to give my kids the option to have a full benefits contract because who knows what the restrictions will be in the future. Should they decide they don’t want it, they can always sell it. Even if the resale value is $1 at that point, it’s not like they lost anything. Who’s to say we wouldn’t have spent that money on something else, like a new car today of which they’d never see the financial profits? My kids are young, but they love Disney. We try to go enough to continue that love and not burn them, or ourselves, out. All any of us can do is what we think is best since no one can accurately predict the future because life is unpredictable.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!