CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

Well that sounds terrible. :(

They still have holiday Illuminations featured on the International Festival of the Holidays page for 2018. I'm going to be so mad if they take that away.

Looks like a new temporary show could debut later this year and be in place until 2020 when the big new show debuts according to Martin on WDWMagic.

I didn't see anything about this on wdw magic....don't mess with my emotions. Got a link?

I don't see another message board as being a go to source of information. No offence.

Martin (author of said rumor) is a highly trusted Epcot insider. He is very rarely wrong and only posts when he’s verified a few different places.

Well this is a bummer. We are going in December and were hoping to see illuminations one last time. I wonder how much notice they’d give people in an announcement? With Wishes it was 3 months I think.

If they debut it later this year that's over a year with a "temporary" show. What is the reason they don't just leave Illuminations until it's replacement is ready - why do they add a temporary show? Serious question, I'm sure there is a reason?

Last edited:
So - I've seen Illuminations twice this week (last time is tonight) and while I LOVE it, it's ready. It needs some love, some updating and a little breath of life into the show.

One night, the globe was struggling. And a couple nights ago, it started late and they had to test the flame pillars out by the globe to see if they would even work about 5-7 minutes before the show started (late).

I'd rather have new show or no show for a while instead of Bad Show ... and, unfortunately, Illuminations is having a run of Bad Show days.

If they debut it later this year that's over a year with a "temporary" show. What is the reason they don't just leave Illuminations until it's replacement is ready - why do they add a temporary show? Serious question, I'm sure there is a reason?

Good question. My assumption would be that they would be working on the actual hardware for the shows like the barges, the globe, or other elements. If they were working on these they might not be able to run the normal show and have to run the replacement show until the new one is ready to go.

Good question. My assumption would be that they would be working on the actual hardware for the shows like the barges, the globe, or other elements. If they were working on these they might not be able to run the normal show and have to run the replacement show until the new one is ready to go.

That makes sense, thanks!

I love Illuminations, but it has been a few years since I saw it last. My favorite time to visit is in DEcember, and the Holiday ending is my favorite of all time. We will be there in December, and I hope that whatever needs to be done to make it to the new show includes that special piece.

I guess that if we go by the speed I am falling apart, it is understandable that Illuminations might be breaking down too. I am still sad though.

We are going early December with ressies at R&C like normal for our Illuminations viewing. All I will say is this has always been our last night in the World dinner and fireworks show. No better way in our family to end a trip to the world. While I do always try to embrace change, this particular one will be hard. Hope the people working on the new one are blessed with the knowledge that there are a lot of people out there expecting them to do awesome things with the new final replacement for Illuminations. Make us happy. pirate: In the meantime, since we are probably going to see the temporary show, somebody better warn the manager of the R&C that he needs to order a few more kegs of Harp because I will be drinking more with fond memories of what was!

New and "temporary" shows are often for us -- the repeat visitors to draw us to the park that just doesn't have a lot to offer right now (especially since we go so often).

If there was a new show at Epcot, I would probably make time to see it on my trip in the Fall. If it was just Illuminations, despite it being a cool show, I've seen it already and would probably opt skipping the show to get the young kids to bed at a decent time and save the late night for a different night show.

New and "temporary" shows are often for us -- the repeat visitors to draw us to the park that just doesn't have a lot to offer right now (especially since we go so often).

If there was a new show at Epcot, I would probably make time to see it on my trip in the Fall. If it was just Illuminations, despite it being a cool show, I've seen it already and would probably opt skipping the show to get the young kids to bed at a decent time and save the late night for a different night show.

Plus if they start advertising that a new/temporary show is coming you will get fans of Illuminations to make a special trip just to see it one last time or make a point during their already planned trip to see it (perhaps more than once)

So not only to you get a new show as a draw to EPCOT but also the end of Illuminations becomes a draw as well

not to mention the "say goodby to Illuminations" t-shirts and cupcakes and what not ;)

not to mention the "say goodby to Illuminations" t-shirts and cupcakes and what not ;)

I don't eat sweets (clash mightily with hops and barley) but give me any Illuminations goodbye shirt and I might order a case of them (at $7.00 each of coursepirate:.....quantity discounts do apply don't they?)

I don't get why they would replace a pretty well liked and beloved by many show with a temporary show, unless like a PP they plan on reusing and reworking the equipment.

I'm wondering how many times I can get DW to let me watch Illuminations in Sept, will be at least twice, hopefully more. I'm not the type to rewatch shows or movies at all, but I can watch Illuminations over and over.

Speaking of, does anyone have a link to a good video of it? I had found one a few months ago, but can't find again, all the videos I could find tonight were handheld on cell phone cameras and not good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!