Run Disney after weight loss?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever lost a lot of weight and started doing the Run Disney events? If so, how did you go about starting such?

I lost a fair amount of weight before doing my one and only RunDisney 5k. I was over 300 at one point. (I've done longer non-Disney races, but any more races will likely have to be done in a wheelchair).

Since I didn't want to destroy my knees with my excess weight, I focused on getting all my muscles strong and balanced by hitting the weight room. I felt out of place, especially when many were lifting heavy and quick and I was going slow to focus on brain-muscle communication...but I persevered and saw great improvement.

I also did hill training to get my heart rate up really high without a lot of pressure on my joints.

Lots and lots of balance training. Simple, boring, but very important.

For weight loss I did swimming and a low carb diet (really helped with food cravings). I got a coach and improved my stroke technique since I wasn't a strong swimmer.

I've also never been a runner due to physical limitations. I walk quickly and with proper technique, and have in the past out-walked numerous slower runners...especially those who started quick and then tired part way into the race and their pace slow down. The pace required for a RunDisney race is very doable if one has trained to do it walking.

Basically I did everything but run to train for a running race. I've also never been injured or had a setback due to improper training.

I'd recommend getting properly fitted for running shoes by a boutique running shoe store with a wide selection. You can always buy the same kind of shoe later for cheaper online, but getting a proper fit is so important and paying full cost for a shoe the first time is worth the expert fitting that comes with the purchase.

Proper clothing is a must too if you have excess skin from weight loss. Something similar to compression tights really helps keep the jiggle down, to put it bluntly.

I hope you are able to find a path that works for you to get fit enough to do a RunDisney race! It truly is an amazing and fun experience...not just the event itself, but meeting all the other runners.

I lost a fair amount of weight before doing my one and only RunDisney 5k. I was over 300 at one point. (I've done longer non-Disney races, but any more races will likely have to be done in a wheelchair).

Since I didn't want to destroy my knees with my excess weight, I focused on getting all my muscles strong and balanced by hitting the weight room. I felt out of place, especially when many were lifting heavy and quick and I was going slow to focus on brain-muscle communication...but I persevered and saw great improvement.

I also did hill training to get my heart rate up really high without a lot of pressure on my joints.

Lots and lots of balance training. Simple, boring, but very important.

For weight loss I did swimming and a low carb diet (really helped with food cravings). I got a coach and improved my stroke technique since I wasn't a strong swimmer.

I've also never been a runner due to physical limitations. I walk quickly and with proper technique, and have in the past out-walked numerous slower runners...especially those who started quick and then tired part way into the race and their pace slow down. The pace required for a RunDisney race is very doable if one has trained to do it walking.

Basically I did everything but run to train for a running race. I've also never been injured or had a setback due to improper training.

I'd recommend getting properly fitted for running shoes by a boutique running shoe store with a wide selection. You can always buy the same kind of shoe later for cheaper online, but getting a proper fit is so important and paying full cost for a shoe the first time is worth the expert fitting that comes with the purchase.

Proper clothing is a must too if you have excess skin from weight loss. Something similar to compression tights really helps keep the jiggle down, to put it bluntly.

I hope you are able to find a path that works for you to get fit enough to do a RunDisney race! It truly is an amazing and fun experience...not just the event itself, but meeting all the other runners.
Well I was just thinking about it, dreaming, but hey, that where it starts.

Soooo...about a year ago, my husband suggested the Star Wars runDisney event for 2019. A work friend, knowing my obsession with all things Disney and his love for Star Wars, asked if he was interested in doing the half marathon. Long story short, my husband signed up for all three races (and the virtual half) and I signed up for the 5k, 10k and completed the virtual half over a week at home.

I was definitely "Pooh sized" when I started...was still that size when I ran...and am still that size now (and registered for the 5k and 10k Wine and dine, 5k 10K and Half for Star Wars 2020). I followed Jeff Galloway's running plan on the runDisney site doing intervals. I literally started with a 10 second run and a 50 second walk for 10 minutes.

April 2019...I walked (**SURVIVED**) the rained out 5k and the next day ran my intervals for the 10k - 30 second run/30 second walk for the first 4 miles and the last mile (walked while in Epcot and even had the Balloon Ladies pass me at 5.5 miles...talk about FREAK OUT!) I finished though...it was the best feeling ever!!!

With all that said...I say if it's something you want to do and your doctor is not concerned, then start walking and then start running intervals (seriously, read Jeff Galloways books, web site, etc...). Perhaps sign up for a local 5k to get you motivated...we did a Christmas one that was snowy and cold - but still fun! Make sure it fits in with whatever plan you create for yourself. You can certainly wait until the weight is gone - but I have found that I have waited for too many things in life "waiting for weight loss"; Now that I've done it, I want to work on weight loss to improve my time and to feel better overall. So for me it's almost like starting the activity helped motivate me to start doing something about the weight :-)

You can do it!!!!! I went to University on a partial athletic scholarship and was always healthy. However I gained A LOT of weight with my first pregnancy.....and two years later still hadn't lost it. ( As in I was still holding on to 65 lbs after two years.) I started walking, a mile each day for 2 weeks, then went up by .5 miles every 2 weeks. Finally when son turned 3 I had lost all but the last 10 lbs. That's when I started running again..... Hardest thing physically in my life....before pregnancy I could run 5 miles no problem, but even after most of the weight loss and walking, I still could barely run 1/2 mile. I started doing intervals, run .25 miles, walk .25, etc. Adding on .10 each week to the running part. It took me a year to be able to comfortably reach 3 miles, then I did the 5k at Run Disney....I was so proud because I never stopped to walk! DS is now 10, but now I am going through the same thing after DD now 1. I will reach my goal again, it's just hard. If you have kids, make sure you make your exercise a PRIORITY. If you don't it will be the last thing on the list. Good luck in your journey! I know you will do great and have an amazing run Disney experience :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!