You're never as bad as you're worst run, but your best run is never a fluke. No matter how much you run, you'll have bad runs from time to time. Just remember that it isn't an assessment on your progress. It just merely happens. So I always have to remind myself to step back and learn from it. Why did these things happen and what can I do to make them better the next time? Just put it behind you and move on. Better days are ahead.

I was attacked by a small dog

This really sucks but can be a learning experience. When we got Max I took him to training classes. I'll be this first to admit that the training was more for me than for him. I realized that up until this point I never knew the appropriate way to act around dogs (actually I did not like dogs... they jump, bark, slobber, smell... but Max does none of these things). I learned that you need to develop a calm alpha posture and it will usually moderate the behavior of the dog you are interacting with (or choose not to). I also hold the alpha posture when encountering strangers and give a polite hello. Dogs can sense weakness and vulnerability. In the early days of dog ownership I learned a lot from Caesar Milan.

DW

This really sucks but can be a learning experience.

DW

Oh I know! I volunteer at the humane society and we went through training for what to do when dogs attack each other and what to do if you see a stray dog but never really what to do when they are running at you viciously barking! I knew that running away would make it worse and thankfully I have a 75 pound dog and a 50 pound dog at home so A beagle seams like an ankle biter to me. I wasn’t scared of the dog but more his actions. Looking back, I guess I did the right thing... I stood my ground and said hello so he would know I wasn’t a threat. but man I hope I never have to live through that again. I know I wouldn’t have been able to muster up that courage if the dog had been bigger.

Sidebar: at the humane society we use a lot of Zac George’s tips for training and they also work extraordinarily well. This is his YouTube channel if you ever wanted to mix it up. I recommend his book too!

Whoa, what a run. I guess I am the crazy woman who doesn't run with pepper spray. I dunno why, I just don't. Once, on a morning run I ran by a homeless dude sleeping in a wash and I scared him and he scared me, but nothing happened. Glad you had a similar situation and nothing happened as well.

Congrats on picking your first HM!! Just so you know, you're only half crazy. Not full crazy like the rest of these guys. LOL.

Whoa, what a run. I guess I am the crazy woman who doesn't run with pepper spray. I dunno why, I just don't. Once, on a morning run I ran by a homeless dude sleeping in a wash and I scared him and he scared me, but nothing happened. Glad you had a similar situation and nothing happened as well.

Congrats on picking your first HM!! Just so you know, you're only half crazy. Not full crazy like the rest of these guys. LOL.

I'm so glad we had similar experiences too (meaning I'm glad nothing happened to you either). The pepper spray thing is just a little something to help me, my mom and my husband feel better. Nothing has ever happened and thankfully I've never needed it.

Thanks!! I'm half crazy this year but next year I'll be full on crazy!! I'm even thinking dopey for 2020 (it rhymes and I'm a sucker for that).

• If I get a good fitness base now, then hopefully my body will only be a little wrecked whenever I decide to have a kid (Moms in the room, I beg of you… do not pop this bubble for me).
I’m going to go back and read the rest of your thread, but this part made me have to stop. I had my second daughter in March. I gained a good forty five pounds during my pregnancy and I was already a tad overweight.

By September I had lost all of that weight plus another fifteen pounds. In November I finished my first half marathon. I even ran most of it! I have yet to break a 30 minute 5K, though.

My point is that you shouldn’t discount what your body can do. Women’s bodies are made to bounce back from having babies.

Last edited:

Question!!! What does everyone do for cross training? I'm starting to get a little runners knee after runs so def want to make sure I stay on top of it. In my research I've found a lot of individual exercises that are good for runners knee, but does anyone have a link to a full work out?

Good morning! I woke up today with the worst pain in my left leg. Specifically in my thigh and knee but honestly my whole leg feels like it’s one big cramp.

It’s a run day, so here’s my plan. I’m going to do a yoga routine and I found on YouTube for runners, then I’m going to foam roll like crazy. I’m going to eat a banana, take some ibuprofen, and run some errands. When I get back home, I’m going to rest for a little, then hopefully I’ll be good to run.

I really don’t want to have to skip today. I’ve been doing really well as far as being dedicated. This is the part of the training plan that I struggled with last time. I skipped quite a few workouts here last Time, and I really want to make sure that this time is different. But, I also don’t want to get injured. Sunday Was the worst run of my life, and I think it was because I didn’t listen to my body before the run. I knew I had no business running it, but I’d spent the day planning my half marathon and I really really wanted to run. I was also afraid of missing work out.

I learned Sunday that there’s a difference between being tired/sore and going for a run and being in pain and going for a run and I want to make sure that I apply the lesson that I learned. It’s just all a little easier said than done. Send me prayers and good vibes today and I’ll update you and let you know how it went.

Good morning! I woke up today with the worst pain in my left leg. Specifically in my thigh and knee but honestly my whole leg feels like it’s one big cramp.

It’s a run day, so here’s my plan. I’m going to do a yoga routine and I found on YouTube for runners, then I’m going to foam roll like crazy. I’m going to eat a banana, take some ibuprofen, and run some errands. When I get back home, I’m going to rest for a little, then hopefully I’ll be good to run.

I really don’t want to have to skip today. I’ve been doing really well as far as being dedicated. This is the part of the training plan that I struggled with last time. I skipped quite a few workouts here last Time, and I really want to make sure that this time is different. But, I also don’t want to get injured. Sunday Was the worst run of my life, and I think it was because I didn’t listen to my body before the run. I knew I had no business running it, but I’d spent the day planning my half marathon and I really really wanted to run. I was also afraid of missing work out.

I learned Sunday that there’s a difference between being tired/sore and going for a run and being in pain and going for a run and I want to make sure that I apply the lesson that I learned. It’s just all a little easier said than done. Send me prayers and good vibes today and I’ll update you and let you know how it went.
Sending good vibes your way....:daisy:I am pretty new at the regular running thing so I don't have any other sound advice to offer. Pain isn't fun.

Happy to report that my run today was good! It wasn't my fastest but it wasn't my slowest either. After the rough start I had this morning, I was somewhat expecting a dramatic run but not really. As soon as the first running chime rang, my foot hit the pavement and I all of a sudden felt extremely strong. At the halfway point, I started to struggle a bit but nothing unmanageable.

I slowly started adding hills back into my running today. I've been avoiding them since the 5k, which is why I think I was tired at the half way point. Other than that it was uneventful. Which I'm totally okay with. ::MickeyMo::MinnieMo

Happy to report that my run today was good!

:goodvibes what a great feeling!! I can see myself describing a good run exactly as you have, and I know that feels good!

I have also found some good yoga videos on YouTube. I like the fact that there are some short ones that can be done as a warm up.

I cross train with Pilates, upright stationary bike, swimming (not my favorite activity, but good cross training), strength training (not heavy weights, just enough to remind the muscles what their purpose is), and yoga (DVDs or youtube)

Training Update Week 4! My hardest and somehow best week yet! pixiedust:

Total miles ran – 8.3
Year to date – 22.59
Fastest pace this week – 15:07

Planned work outs: :cool:

Sunday (making this optional since this would only give me 1 rest day after the 5k) – 5 min Warm up – 3r+2w/ 4r + 3w (2x)/ 3r + 2w – 5 min cool down
Tuesday – 5 min warm up – 3r+2w/5R+3w (2x)/3r+2w – 5 min cool down
Thursday – 5 min warm up – 3r+2w/5R+3w (2x)/3r+2w – 5 min cool down
Saturday – 5 min warm up – 5r+3w/ 6r+3w/5run – 5 min cool down

Missed workouts
– None! party:

Things I learned this week -
There is a difference between pain and soreness. I should run when I’m sore not when I’m in pain. :crutches:

The best way to get myself motivated is to play “go the distance” from Hercules

Days till next race – 27 days till Humble Creek 5k. :figment:

Plan for week 4! :tigger:

Monday- 5 min warm up – 5min R + 3min W +8min R + 5min W + 5minR – 5 min cool down
Wednesday – 5 min warm up – 8min R + 5min W + 8min R – 5 min cool down
Friday - 5 mins warm up – 10 min R + 5 min W + 10 min R – 5 min cool down

I’m a planner! I like it that way and I refuse to change it! That said, why can I not sign up for the Virtual Running Shorts yet?!!! And if I can’t sign up for it… why won’t they tell us what this year’s theme is… uhhhg! Any who.. I’ve just finished planning out most of my year so I thought I’d share some of the important dates. Am I the only neurotic one with their year planned out like this?! Please tell me I’m not.

Jan -
0 -5k training plan starts 12/31/17.
Braver than you believe virtual 5k on 1/19/18 (done)
Feb -
5k training plan ends 2/18/18.
Humble Creek Trail Run (5k) 2/24/18.
10k Training starts 2/27/18
March -
3/24/18 - Color Run 5k
April -
4/4/18 10k training ends
4/7/18 Victory at York Town 10k
4/11/18 - This is when I kind of get to do my own thing. I’m planning to work out every other day and every other work out will be a 60 min run and the alternate will be some type of cross training.
May -
5/5/18 - Girls on the run 5k.
June -
6/9/18 - runDisney Virtual Running Shorts
July -
7/1/18 - Half Marathon training starts!!!!
7/8/18 - runDisney Virtual Running Shorts
Aug-
8/12/18 -runDisney Virtual Running Shorts
Sep-
9/22/18 - Half Marathon training plan ends (sort of).
9/29/18 - Virginia 10 miler!
Oct-
10/7/18 - Half marathon training starts again… So I’m going to go back and start on week 8 of the half marathon training plan and run through the 2nd half again before my actual half marathon.
-- Race yet to be determined.

Nov-
11/10/18 - Half Marathon training ends again…
11/18/17 - Mayberry Half Marathon
Dec -
- Christmas town 8k dash at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Date has not been announced yet.

Time for excuses.. I didn’t run last night. I wasn’t sick and I wasn’t in pain. I was just tired. I had to work 3rd shift over the weekend and only had 1 day off before going back to 1st. So I got off work Sunday morning at 7am and went to bed. I woke up at 4p so going to bed at 11pm Sunday night was hard. I actually fell asleep right away but woke up around midnight and couldn’t fall back asleep until 6am when my husband was waking up to go in. I had to be up at 9am so that’s 4 hours of sleep (5 if you count the first hour.)

I did everything right though! It was so cold and rainy and I knew that after I got off I wouldn’t want to run. I went home on my lunch break and packed my gym bag so that I had no reason to go home after work. During my last break I spent time planning out my year of running and even took time to update my training log with that info! (I always feel like a good run after planning...) Instead of listening to music when I got back to my desk I popped on my “why” playlist on YouTube (you can click here if you want to watch it.. It’s mainly a compilation of my favorite runDisney YouTuber’s race recaps and so forth) This always gets me motivated and ready to go!

I get off work and call my husband. I tell him that I’m on my way to the gym and I mention that I’m exhausted and don’t wanna! And despite all of my bragging on him here about how awesome he is he said “Then do it tomorrow..” and I said “okay.” And that’s all the convincing it took me to abandon my plan.. So I’m running today and had to re-do the rest of the month.(I guess there are some problems with planning so far ahead.)

I’m pretty upset by the whole thing! The half-way point is where I started wavering last time. I got in my head and if a run was “too hard” I’d run that work out over and over again until it wasn’t hard any more. I started taking extra rest days when I was sore and pretty soon that turned into me just skipping work outs when I wasn’t feeling it. Sure, last time I eventually finished the 5k training plan but I wasn’t a strong runner at the end of it and it took at least 12 weeks (it’s an 8 week plan). I’m worried that yesterday’s workout is an indicator of what’s to come and I just can’t have that happen this time! I have too much planed this year and if I’m struggling this hard with the 5k plan then how in the world will I ever run a half marathon?! Let alone a full marathon in 2019 and Dopey in 2020!! How will I ever achieve my crazy goals if I can even run for 18mins (that’s literally how much running was scheduled) . I’ve already started avoiding hills and “taking it easy” on runs. How much easier can I take it with an average pace or 15:38?! But I find a way. I’m just pretty down on myself. I’d ask for encouragement, but I definitely don’t deserve it. If I was sick and missed a workout it, that’d be one thing.. If I even had the slightest pain that would be another. If I had some kind of ailment that would stop me from running completely understandable. But nope, I’m just perfectly healthy and a little sleepy.. I read stories of people who were told they’d never run again running marathons, but not me.. I was tired. The worst part is, it didn’t even bother me last night. Not even a little. In fact I when straight to bed as soon as I walked in the door. The husband woke me up to feed me and then straight back to bed I went. Anyway, I need to wrap this cheery rant up so. It is what it is.. I’ll be running tonight.

Umm... Just wanted to apologize to anyone who read my last entry here. I almost took it down but I think it will be nice to read one day.. like 11/18/18 (that's the day after my half marathon). I didn't set out to complain that much, I sat at my computer and word vomit just came out. I'm typically the most positive person ever, but obviously I had some bigger issues going on in my head Tuesday that turned me into a winey and insufferable little brat. '

Here's what actually happened: I've set a few goals for the year. Honestly a half marathon by the end of the year, is one of the smaller ones. And slowly by slowly the weight of my goals is starting to set in. I've run a little less than 26 miles this month and my runs are only getting harder and harder. I realized I hadn't really respected the distance of what I'm trying to do this year and doubt started to set in. Around the time that doubt started to set in, I moved a run and lost my mind. Same thing happened with my other goals.

So really really sorry for any one who read that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!