I'm sorry that you've been struggling, but you definitely do not need to apologize for sharing your feelings! Just remember, you are on a journey - the goal isn't to run a marathon tomorrow, but to get a little closer to your goals. You are doing amazing and improving every week!

Training Update Week 5! My hardest week yet! :confused3

Total miles ran – 5.83
Year to date – 28.42 :cool1:
Fastest pace this week – 16:06
Planned work outs:

Monday- 5 min warm up – 5min R + 3min W +8min R + 5min W + 5minR – 5 min cool down
Wednesday – 5 min warm up – 8min R + 5min W + 8min R – 5 min cool down
Friday - 5 mins warm up – 10 min R + 5 min W + 10 min R – 5 min cool down

Missed workouts
– None, but if you saw my melt down you know that the whole week got shifted by a day…

Things I learned this week – :sick:

26.2 miles is a very long distance. Just because millions of people have done it before me, doesn’t make it easy by any stretch! There are millions more who have failed and billions that have never even tried.

Honestly I know there is something else that I’m supposed to learn, but I’ve kinda been in the middle of a funk/pity party so I don’t know what the lesson is quite yet, but I hope it’s a good one.

Days till next race – 20 days till Humble Creek 5k.

:tinker:Plan for week 6!

Sunday – 5min WU – 10min R +3min W+ 10min R – 5min CD (I’m going to make this an optional run. I’ve been struggling A LOT and have started to have sharp pains in my knee ankle and thigh. Nothing lingering, but enough to cause concern. I think I could use an extra rest day but I promise to only take it if I need it on Sunday.)

Tuesday – 5min WU – 15min R + 3min W + 5min R – 5min CD

Thursday – 5min WU – 20min R -5min CD

Saturday - 5min WU – 20min R -5min CD

I messed up the plan for week 6 - just got the dates wrong.

Monday– 5min WU – 10min R +3min W+ 10min R – 5min CD (I’m going to make this an optional run. I’ve been struggling A LOT and have started to have sharp pains in my knee ankle and thigh. Nothing lingering, but enough to cause concern. I think I could use an extra rest day but I promise to only take it if I need it on Sunday.)

Wednesday– 5min WU – 15min R + 3min W + 5min R – 5min CD

Friday– 5min WU – 20min R -5min CD

Joining in on your journal.

You know, one reason I love reading journals is for those moments when people share their failures. Because, if we are honest, it happens to all of us. Those days when you just don't want to do it and then sometimes you don't. BUT and this is the important part, you learn from that and you learn that when you are open and share it with other like-minded encouraging people, they prop you up and make you want to do better the next time. Keeping a journal is great for accountability. There has been more than once when I wanted to skip a run that part of what got me out of bed in the dark and cold was that I didn't want to admit to skipping the run on my journal. :D

Learn to listen to your body too. It takes time sometimes to differentiate between tired and sore (which you can push through) and pre-injury (don't push through!), but in time, you can learn to tell the difference - at least most of the time. You are doing great and I'm excited to read your continuing journey.

Joining in on your journal.

You know, one reason I love reading journals is for those moments when people share their failures. Because, if we are honest, it happens to all of us. Those days when you just don't want to do it and then sometimes you don't. BUT and this is the important part, you learn from that and you learn that when you are open and share it with other like-minded encouraging people, they prop you up and make you want to do better the next time. Keeping a journal is great for accountability. There has been more than once when I wanted to skip a run that part of what got me out of bed in the dark and cold was that I didn't want to admit to skipping the run on my journal. :D

Learn to listen to your body too. It takes time sometimes to differentiate between tired and sore (which you can push through) and pre-injury (don't push through!), but in time, you can learn to tell the difference - at least most of the time. You are doing great and I'm excited to read your continuing journey.

Thank you soooo much!!!! This definitely made my day (and made it harder for me to skip today's run for sure LOL)

Training Update Week 5! The (much much needed) week of rest! :cutie:

Total miles ran – 3.93 :beach:
Month to date – 3.93
Year to date – 32.35
Fastest pace this week – 15:06
Planned work outs:

Monday– 5min WU – 10min R +3min W+ 10min R – 5min CD (I’m going to make this an optional run. I’ve been struggling A LOT and have started to have sharp pains in my knee ankle and thigh. Nothing lingering, but enough to cause concern. I think I could use an extra rest day but I promise to only take it if I need it on Sunday.)
Wednesday– 5min WU – 15min R + 3min W + 5min R – 5min CD
Friday– 5min WU – 20min R -5min CD

Missed workouts
– I did take Monday off and I did Fridays run on Saturday

Things I learned this week –

I’ve learned that living in the moment can be just as motivational than planning goals far ahead. I realized that one of the reasons I haven’t been “loving it” as much is because I’m planning and getting so pumped for my half marathon in November. I learned that it’s kind of hard to be excited about running 2 miles when your goal is 13.1 and really 26.2 eventually. Of course planning ahead and setting big goals is just as important but I think that living in the moment and getting excited about my upcoming 5k is just as important.

Days till next race – 13 days till Humble Creek 5k. (only 5 more runs before the big day!!) :tigger:

:tink:Plan for week 6!

Monday – 5m WU – 20min Run – 5m CD

Wednesday – 5m WU – 25min Run – 5m CD

Friday – 5m WU – 28min run – 5m CD

Following along - you are doing a great job sticking with your plans!

Back to your original question - I need a race on the calendar to keep me motivated.

Following along - you are doing a great job sticking with your plans!

Back to your original question - I need a race on the calendar to keep me motivated.

Thank you soo much!! I have noticed that since I have had my year planned out motivation is a little easier to find, so definitely agree that having a race on the calendar is super important.

Training Update Week 6! :crazy:

Total miles ran – 4.2
Month to date – 8.13
Year to date – 36.55
Fastest pace this week – 15:28

Planned work outs:

Monday – 5m WU – 20min Run – 5m CD

Wednesday – 5m WU – 25min Run – 5m CD

Friday – 5m WU – 28min run – 5m CD

Missed workouts
– I did Mondays workout Tuesday and Wednesdays on Thursday. Fridays workout didn’t happen, due to a combination of weather and some knee pain. :cold: :crutches:

Things I learned this week –

3.1 miles are easy! It’s the 7 weeks leading up to it that is a living hell (but in the best possible way.) :dancer:

Days till next race – 7 days till Humble Creek 5k. :eek::music::cool1::yay:

:tinker:Plan for week 6!

Sunday – 5min warm up – 30 min run – 5 min cool down.

Tues, Wed or Thurs – 5 min warm up – 35 min run – 5 min cool down.

Saturday – Humble Creek 5k :donald::dumbo::goofy::mickeyjum

A goal for 5k) Run the whole thing without walking/Come in under 45 mins.

B goal) Walk for no more than 5 mins/ Come in under 50 mins.

Guys!!! Guys!! Warning this may be an overshare!

Fun fact! I've had this weird rash on my armpit for a little bit.. not really a rash but just kind of itchy and a little raw.

Guess what it is?!! It's chafing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once I had the realization I started crying my little eyes out with happy tears.

Yep that's right... Happy tears!! Why you say? Because in my messed up little mind, the 36 miles I've ran thus far haven't made me a runner. In fact this is the very first moment that I have felt like a real and true runner!

I realize that this was certainly an odd reaction and possibly quite funny so feel free to laugh at me - trust me I am too.

Question - when did you start truly feeling like a runner?

Guys!!! Guys!! Warning this may be an overshare!

Fun fact! I've had this weird rash on my armpit for a little bit.. not really a rash but just kind of itchy and a little raw.

Guess what it is?!! It's chafing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once I had the realization I started crying my little eyes out with happy tears.

Yep that's right... Happy tears!! Why you say? Because in my messed up little mind, the 36 miles I've ran thus far haven't made me a runner. In fact this is the very first moment that I have felt like a real and true runner!

I realize that this was certainly an odd reaction and possibly quite funny so feel free to laugh at me - trust me I am too.

Question - when did you start truly feeling like a runner?

Not laughing at you but this did put a big smile on my face. I’ve pretty much always been a runner since teenage years so never really had that “moment” but I think what you are doing and your running attitude is awesome. Running is horrible to start with but it gets better with perseverance and perspiration and sometimes a little bit of chafing!

Looking forward to hearing how your race goes!!

Also not laughing at you, but with you! Congrats (I guess) on getting some chafing. LOL. And, you are a real and true runner, chafing or not!

Not laughing at you but this did put a big smile on my face. I’ve pretty much always been a runner since teenage years so never really had that “moment” but I think what you are doing and your running attitude is awesome. Running is horrible to start with but it gets better with perseverance and perspiration and sometimes a little bit of chafing!

Looking forward to hearing how your race goes!!

Thank you sooo much!! I totally wish I had been running that long. I was such a little high strung and wound up weirdo - I wish I had this outlet as a teen. But Hey - you live and learn right?! And you are so right about Running being horrible to start.. but it’s a good horrible which makes no sense unless you’re a runner. Lol. Anyway Thanks again - really appreciate your kindness and support.

Also not laughing at you, but with you! Congrats (I guess) on getting some chafing. LOL. And, you are a real and true runner, chafing or not!

Thank you soo much!! I really appreciate it.

So I just ran 2.5 miles in 41 mins. 11 mins of that was walking for warm up and cool down.. so I basically ran for 30 mins straight. Definitely my furthest run all in one go but not my fastest by far. I still had a little juice left in the tank and probably could have done a 5k tonight. I just had this super weird feeling that I think is good.

I didn't start off the run telling myself that I could walk if I made it to the half way point. In fact I didn't have to barter with myself at all this run or play any of the other mind games I typically do. It was like I just hit cruise control and went. No muss no fuss.

I wish I still had a little less in my tank after the run - I could have pushed myself a little harder. But really.. Idk I think I'm happy I had this experience.. Only 1 more training run to go!!!!!!!!!

Holy Cow!! Tomorrow is the big day!! I have been going through some of my passed entries here and I revisited that infamous negative post about that run I had the audacity to move by 1 day! And OMG I realize how dumb that was!! Over this training plan, I have run 43.75 miles… and that run was 1.23 miles!!! 1.23 out of 43.75… That’s 0.03%... The lesson is clear now. I was over trained or over worked or maybe a little of both. The lesson was to TAKE CARE OF MYSELF!!

Anyway, I’m so nervous and excited. I’m not nervous that I won’t finish or anything, I’m pretty confident about that. I am nervous about my goals, though. My A goal is to run the entire thing (no walking) and come in under 45mins. Wednesday’s run was 5k in 48 mins on a relatively flat surface. 35 of that was running – the rest was walking for the warm up and cool down. Tomorrow’s course is described as a “rolling cross country trail.” Depending on what that “rolling” means, my goal is either just the right amount of ambitious or way too crazy. B goal is less than 50mins and no more than 5 mins of walking. I’m also pretty comfortable about that.. but OMG IT’S TOMORROW!! What’s done is done and there is no point in stressing out about it now! Wish me luck y’all!

You can do it! I like your approach to setting multiple goals since you're not sure what the course will be like. Trust your training and enjoy the victory lap :).
Thank you sooo much!! I always set 2 goals. It doubles my chance of success!!!

GUYS!!!!!!!! Don’t let the name fool you! Anyone who finishes the Humble Creek 5k should be anything but humble about the whole thing! This race was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my whole life. In fact, I think it must have been THE hardest thing. Now granted, I have had a great life so far and luckily haven’t had a whole lot of barriers to break through. The bar is pretty low.

So the morning begins and Josh and I are the first racers there! I drink my chi tea latte freak out a little because the drive through the farm, may have indicated that I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. About 30 mins before the race I hear a volunteer explaining the course to someone and the phrases “the heater” and “mud pit” and “then you go up another hill” were said. So I walked over to her and said “I’m sorry did I just hear you say “mud pit.” She then goes on to explain the course to me and oh boy!! She tells us about the first hill and says “we call that one the heater.” She goes on.. “Now, it’s been raining so the whole trail is a little bit of a mud pit. There’s trees on the side so if you need ‘em – use ‘es.” Now at this point, I’m trying to wrap my mind around “the heater” so I’m not focusing super hard on the rest of her description, but I do hear the phrase “up another hill” about 10 more times and then she starts talking about the “rolling hills” part… Because the “Rolling hills” are apparently separate from the other hill on the course.

I told Josh that we’d walk up “the heater” and I wouldn’t count this as part of my 5 mins of walking. Other than that I was still planning to stick with goal B… Then another kind of strange thing happened. The 10k started (there was a 10 min delay between the 10k and 5k) and I took a look around at all the people who are left. And it’s safe to say that about 90% of them are wearing other race shirts, from 10 milers, Marathons, Triathlons and one guy had one a shirt for AN ULTRA!!!! A FREAKING ULTRA!!! So I lean over to the hubs (who hasn’t trained at all btw – I just signed him up for this) and say – It’s weird that some of these people are doing the 5k instead of the 10k… He agreed but hey what are we going to do now. We were the first ones there – we can’t chicken out now…

The air horn blows and the race starts. About 200 yards in, I see “the heater.” I look ahead to the guy in the ultra shirt is leading the pack and even he is walking… as I get closer I realize why. There is no running this hill, there is no speed walking this hill actually there is no normal walking it. There is only hiking it. According to Strava I climbed 735 ft in elevation through out the race. 675 of that was “The Heater” and this is over about a quarter of a mile!! Half way up I started crying. I told Josh that I couldn’t do it and he told me I could and by the grace of God and the wonderful support of an eagle scout husband who btw is thrilled with the turn of events I made it up “the heater.”

Going down “the heater” was almost just as hard. Just kidding it was easy comparatively, but it was just as steep and wet so slipping was a real concern. Josh taught me how to walk sideways when I slip (I’ve never been hiking in my life). At the bottom of the hill it’s pretty flat but no way was I running. I needed to recover from my first adventure into hiking. The rest of the hills were way too steep to run up and with the trail being so wet and so slippery and with Josh being my hiking expert but having not trained for a run, we decided to walk and stay together the whole time. TBH Josh totally could have passed me and left me in the dust but I think he could tell how hard I was struggling.

So long story short (sorry about that). I finished in an hour and 10 mins and it wasn’t really a 5k because it was 3.5 miles. It’s really hard to not be proud of that thought. The 5k winner finished in 30 mins.. I know that’s super-fast, but had this been a flatter course that guy would have probably finished in less than 20!!!

I’m proud I finished; however, I’m more proud of what happened when I got home. As proud as I was that I conquered the hills I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get a good run in today! So as soon as we got home, I went for a quick little run in my neighborhood. Nothing crazy, just a quick trip around the block. Half mile in 8 mins.

Anyway I’ve rambled enough. I’m glad I had this experience. It’s not something that I would have willingly signed up for if I had known the terrain, but It was fine. Now, when I run up a hill I will be able to think to myself that “it could always be worse!”

Wow. Nice job taking on a massive challenge! And LOL at your disappointment at not getting in a good run - I'm sure you got plenty of cardio effort in :).

I am going to go ahead and declare your A goal met! In the 5km races I've seen the winning time is under 18 min (compared to 30 in this one). So if I apply that 30/18 ratio to your A goal of 45, I get a goal time of 75 minutes: SUCCESS! :) So definitely be proud - and thumbs up to your husband for supporting you through the race!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter