Mile 1-
16:05
Mile 2- 16:23
Mile 3- 16:23
Mile 4 - 14:31
Mile 5 - 16:34
Mile 6- 15:35
Mile .4 (because apparently this was a 10kish) - 14:50

So race-cation begins Friday. We check into our air BnB and are chatting with our friends who came down to the race with us. This little house is super cute and clean. As I was unpacking I tested the bed - it's comfy! Good! Later in the evening, I go to throw something away and bam a roach on the kitchen wall... "no worries" I say "The weather has been crazy, it's cold and wet and this place is super clean. It was definitely just the one." Right before bed, I return to the kitchen to throw something else away. This time, I open the cabinet where the trash can is and there is another one scattering to the trash can!! So my husband kills it and takes out the trash. My friend and I check out beds to make sure no critters are there and we take all the snacks we had brought out to the car. Between the pre-race jitters and the constant feeling that something was crawling on me... I got about 3 hours of sleep.

Race day! It's 49 degrees and raining. It's not heavy rain but it's more than a sprinkle. My friend, Katelyn, and I enter the costume contest and then for the most part we stay in the pre-race tent. I jumped around a little and half way danced to the DJs music hoping this constituted as a proper warm up (it does not). At the finish line, I pop in my headphones turn on Hamilton and strava and get ready to go. The Cannon fires (yep.. they fired a revolutionary war cannon to start this race) and we're off.

I start off faster than I had planned, but I wouldn't say I over did it or anything. We get to the hill and it's pretty steep. I know the data said it wasn't as steep as the hills in the Mission possible run; however, it felt the same. I walk up as planned, but I didn't start running after that. My calf were burning just from walking up that hill and I was already "over" this race because of the rain and wind. I walked the rest of that mile promising my self that I would start running at the 1 mile marker.

I started running at 1 mile but that was short lived due to the second hill. It wasn't as steep but I didn't even try, I just walked it and the rest of that mile. I started running again once I passed the 2 mile marker but stopped for water shortly after and didn't find the energy to start running again. Mile 3 was about the same, I was listening to Hamilton and George Washington's first song was on "we are out gunned, out manned, out numbered, out planned.." and I was starting to get pumped! I tell my self "You may not have finished the 10k plan but you finished the 5k plan. There is no reason why you can't crush the 2nd half of this race." I start visualizing the scene in that football movie where they bring out the new score board for the 2nd half. And my game plan was born. Walk the rest of mile 3 and recover from the little bit of running I have done, and then run the last 5k.

Mile 4 was nothing short of magic. At this point Lafayette had convinced George Washington that he needs his right hand man back. GW gives Alexander the cautionary pep talk/warning that history has it's eyes on him and then the battle at Yorktown begins. I look over to my left and at this exact moment I'm running past none other than "Surrender Field" (where the battle of Yorktown was won!).. I'm going to go ahead and put this one in the books as my all time greatest running moment!

Right after mile 5 began I slowed to a walk for water and didn't start running again until we were close to that big hill in the beginning. This time, I get to go down it :-). Mile 6 and the last little bit, was a combination of run walking. I met up with a group of walkers and we started chatting for the last mile and a half. I sprinted to the finish line where I'm met by my hubs, Katelyn and her her man, Alex. We go into the tent to discover that Katelyn and I won the costume contest!! (We may have been the only 2 people who showed up in costume.. but that just stays between us okay).

I was in quite a bit of pain after the race which is weird because I'm usually not that sore after a run and while I had never done 6 miles before I had done 5 with relatively no soreness afterwards. I pushed my self more and ran more for that 5 miles then I did the 6.4 so I'm not sure what caused the pain, but I am glad I get a few rest days before my next plan starts.

After the race, I spent a good amount of time trying to decide how I felt. In the moment I didn't fell anything. I know I could have tried harder and done better, but I wasn't upset that I didn't. I tried to be proud that I finished and tried to be excited that my first 10k was done! I reminded myself that my only goal was to finish, but I just couldn't muster the post race excitement. I think the weather played a huge role in that.

I did want to thank @Andie16 for commenting on my pre-recap message. When I posted that, I thought I was crazy. I mean who feels completely neutral after finishing a milestone race. Because of your message, I felt a little more justified in my "bleh" feeling. That justification helped me to move past it and know that I was not insane. Thanks to @DopeyBadger for reminding me that it was a major milestone. I really appreciate everyone's support more than you know.

Overall, after typing this all out, I'm feeling pretty great about the 10k! I mean, I had my greatest running moment of all time in this race.. how could I feel anything but good about the race. I was trying to find out how many people registered, and couldn't find it any where. That said, only 89 of us showed up to the start line. I can tell they were expecting at least double because all the emails said food and beer was for race participants only and that you had to be wearing a bib to even enter the tent. Not only were they super lax on this day of but, they even gave mine and Katelyn's husbands (who didn't run) drink tickets. The guys didn't even ask for them, the race officials were just like "here have a drink ticket." So I'm thinking they were trying not to have any left over, or at least get to a minimum drink order that they had to meet with the bar. All of that said to say, I was on of 89 people who actually showed up to race day! We could have just slept in and then found something fun to do in Williamsburg (I mean, I do have season passes to Busch Gardens), But I didn't - I showed up and I ran in the rain and wind and won the costume contest.

You should feel great about your 10k race!! Congratulations on that milestone. It's a BIG DEAL. Loved hearing about your thoughts during the race especially as they related to your Hamilton soundtrack. It's tough sometimes in the middle of a race that isn't going your way to find the strength to pick things up mid-race and your did just that. Well done and congrats on your first 10K AND winning the costume contest.

You should feel great about your 10k race!! Congratulations on that milestone. It's a BIG DEAL. Loved hearing about your thoughts during the race especially as they related to your Hamilton soundtrack. It's tough sometimes in the middle of a race that isn't going your way to find the strength to pick things up mid-race and your did just that. Well done and congrats on your first 10K AND winning the costume contest.
Thank you sooo much!!!

Training Update Week 14!

Total miles ran – 6.4
Month to date - 6.4
Year to date – 86.55
Fastest pace this week – 15:50

Planned work outs:

Sunday- 55 min run
Tuesday - 60 min run
Saturday - Victory at Yorktown 10k!!

Missed workouts -
I missed Sunday and Tuesday. Was going to make Tuesdays run up on Wednesday but I ran out of time and then I didn't want to do it Thursday because I wanted fresh legs on race day..

Things I learned this week –

Always finish your training plan.. It'll mentally help you soo much more during race day.

If you are running a race on a trail about the revolutionary war... listen to a Broadway play that talks about that war.

There are only so many races that you can finish last in before your mental toughness starts to be affected. I wasn't dead last in Yorktown but I was 83rd out of 89.. I think I may need to rethink the 2nd half of my year and focus on speed instead of distance. I'm still trying to decide which is more important to me - any suggestions?

I knew that this training journal was important to my success as a runner, but this week I learned exactly how important it is. When I sat down to give you guys a quick update before my recap, I had no idea what I was going to write. I was still trying to figure out how I felt about my race and typing it out really helped me figure out that I was completely neutral about it. Later that day, when I read replies I felt justified in my feelings and was able to work past it. I still didn't know 100% how I felt about the race this morning when I typed the recap, but as I kept typing, it became clear. Thank you guys again so much for the support here - I'm so glad I found this.

Days till next race – 40 days until the Armed Forces 5k

Plan for week 15 -
Rest a lot, run a little and don't get mad at myself if I don't run at all :-).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about speed right now. Pushing speed when you aren't ready for it can lead to injury quickly. I know that being close to last can be demoralizing, but you ARE improving. Sometimes that improvement is slow, but focus on the positives rather than the negatives. Be consistent in your training and working on improving your endurance and overall fitness and the speed will come. I think it's too easy to get caught up in pace (I'm guilty as well of this), but that's really not the most important thing. I don't remember where I've read it or the exact quote, but something like, "Whether you run a 7 minute mile or a 16 minute mile, you still ran a mile." The accomplishment is still the accomplishment! My opinion anyway for what it's worth. :)

Concur with @ZellyB. The speed will come naturally just by continuing consistent training. As you continue to get fitter, you will by nature get faster. But endurance makes up 85% of even the 5k. So endurance is king in the amateur racing world. Just know that gains made in endurance take months or years. So sometimes the progress can be slow, but the journey is what makes it so rewarding.

I agree with the above comments and wanted to add that if you would prefer to focus on gaining endurance and confidence at the 10K level before moving up in distance, that is a great goal! A half marathon is also an awesome goal. It just depends on how you want to train in the coming weeks - either way you will see gains in fitness that will translate to the other distances.

After doing the WDW marathon in Jan, I stepped back to focusing on the 10K distance because toward the end of my training I had been feeling very "ugh!" about my long runs. It was the right decision for me, and after my 10K I'll probably be much more motivated to tackle the half distance. Maybe take a couple of days to enjoy the milestone you just reached and then think about what you'd like to take on next.

@ZellyB @DopeyBadger and @Andie16 - Thank you guys so much! After reading your replies and sleeping on it, I think you are all right. In all actuality, I'm pretty happy with my speed. It only bothers me on race day when it's a lot harder not to get sucked into the comparison game. I also just had a biggish win that lead to this realization as well.

Not sure where all of you live, but in central VA it's been cold and it even snowed yesterday (Yes. I know it's spring but someone forgot to tell VA). Today, though was just tooo pretty not to run. Still took it easy and ran 0.4 miles.. I thought I was running at my normal pace. My calf are extremely tight and every step caused me a little bit of pain, so I actually thought I was going slower than normal. Last time I ran that loop (2/24), it took me 8 mins 44 secs (14:36 pace). You may remember that as my bonus run on the day of the infamous Humble Creek 5k. Today, it took me 6 mins 8 secs (12:50 pace) and that was on very tight and sore legs!!!

I think I'm going to keep this niffty little run in my back pocket and every so often, run that loop and measure my improvement. In fact (because I'm a freak of nature lol), I'm naming it the Pep Run and I've made rules for myself on when and how to use it. They are below.

:tink:Rules of the Pep Run :cheer2:
1) I may run the pep run no more than once a month. (I want to make sure I see progress every single time, so I want to make sure I'm not running it too often)
2) I can only run the pep run if I feel bad about my progress when it comes to speed. (I don't want this to be a run that I add to the calendar and check off as it it's part of my to do list or training plan)
3) When it comes to the Pep Run, progress is progress. If next time I run it, it takes 6 mins 7 secs, I will celebrate like this ---> :banana:.
4) To keep myself honest, I must post the results of every pep run on this training journal. (Don't want to be tempted to sneak one in and not count it.)
5) The pep run must always be ran on the exact same loop, going in the exact same direction and shall never be no more or no less.

Just noticed this in the description of my next 5k... "Not only does the race begin and end at the picturesque Memorial, but a total change in elevation of 220 feet provides a unique challenge for runners of all levels to “Conquer the Hill.”

WHY CAN'T I RUN A FLAT RACE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD?! But for real though, 220 not so bad right? Mission possible had 350 elevation gain... Humble creek was 735. But here's the thing... In neither one of these races did the description say the words "conquer the hill". I need to know more details about this hill!! Also, this is their first year running a new route so it's not like I can even stalk it on strava like I did for Yorktown. Anyway.. Wish me luck. I'm moving to Kansas or somewhere like that. Sure, they may have tornadoes, but I bet they don't have crazy trail runners that consider a 735 foot hike a "Beautiful rolling cross country track."

Training Update Week 15! <-- Have I really stuck to something for 15 weeks?!! :jumping1:

Total miles ran – .4
Month to date - 6.8
Year to date – 86.95
Fastest pace this week – 12:50 :car:

Planned work outs:

Rest a lot, run a little and don't get mad at myself if I don't run at all.

Missed workouts - I mean… I definitely stuck with that plan LOL! :banana:

Things I learned this week – This week I answered the question “Do I even like races?”

I know I love running and I know that I love the training process; however, my best races have been consistently virtual races. I’ve under performed in all 3 of my onsite races. I get a weird anxiety level on race day that I don’t think is normal (maybe it is - I’ve never talked to anyone about it.) I know I can physically do a lot better but mentally and emotionally I have nothing left in the tank after the first hill (which these days has been before mile 1 is even over).

BUT.. How could I not like races. It was the community and accomplishment I felt after the Virginia 4 miler walk that made me want to be a runner. I know that deep down I love races! They are what motivate me to keep going and why I am trying to run a race every month this year. So below is how I’ve decided to conquer my fear of race day.

One of my biggest fear factors is not knowing the course. I’ve been getting better at researching the course before hand and going forward I’m going to do my long runs on a trail that I’m not familiar with, or at least one that I don’t run every day. Just trying to get myself used to the unknown factor so that it’s not so scary on race day.

I think I put too much emphasis on how much of the race I run and I’m really hard on myself for walking. My new plan is a run/walk plan so I’m hoping that will help me adjust my attitude.

I also think that I subconsciously don’t want to do well. To be honest, I’m SCARED TO DEATH of this 10 miler and Half Marathon that I have on the calendar. So if I stall at the 10k level, I won’t have to move up in miles right? The training is also getting to the point where I need to plan my life around running instead of the other way around. So I’m going to start waking up early and getting my runs in first thing. I think that this will help me adapt a “just do it” mentality and move past some of the hurdles. Also @DopeyBadger worked really hard to make sure that my plan fit into my life.

I usually start at the back of the pack (because I’m a slow runner and don’t want to be in anyone’s way who’s faster.) I think in my next race, I’m going to start at the back of the middle though. That way I’ll see other racers on the course with me and don’t feel “alone” so quickly; However, this could back fire if I’m getting passed a lot - thoughts?

Days till next race – 33 days until the Armed Forces 5k :cheer2: <-- This is the closest thing to a red, white and blue emoji we have on the boards.

Plan for week 16 :wizard: - New plan!!! From @DopeyBadger !!! It was supposed to start last week, but I’m an idiot and can’t read a calendar apparently! But we are good!

Monday - 2miles @15 sec running 16min pace/30 sec walking at 18min pace (average pace 17:17)
Wednesday - 2 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Friday - 2 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces

Y'all! I just used the restroom on by break at work and across from the sinks is a full body mirror. I'm wearing capris today so my calves are exposed and as I washed my hands, I caught a glimpse of them in the mirror behind me.. Holy Cow! There is actually some definition there!! I have muscles y'all! Real muscles!! The rest of me is a still flabby but for now you can now call me Katie Chiseled Calves Little!! (TBH I wouldn't call them "chiseled" per say; however, there is undeniable definition!) pixiedust::cloud9:party::dancer:

Hey guys! 3rd post in one day so sorry if that’s too much. This one isn’t running related, but my town just got hit with a couple small tornadoes. I’m safe and our house didn’t sustain any real damage which is a miracle because we live about 3 miles from where one of them touched down, but many of my neighbors and coworkers weren’t so lucky. No fatalities have been reported as of now, but judging by a lot of the damage I’m sure that number will be released soon. If you think about it, please send your thoughts, prayers, good vibes and what ever else to Lynchburg, Va.

Last edited:
Oh wow, how scary - sending my thoughts to your town!
Thank you! We did get an update from the news that there were miraculously no casualties! There were about 20 families that lost everything though. Just glad I'm in a position to help at this point :-).

Katie, I also stress about the course if I have not run it before. I don't know how far you live from your next race, but when i"m within an hour I usually print out the course map and run or walk at least some of it to get a feel for what I'm getting into. Most of my races are trail runs so it can be easier to check them out without worrying about traffic, one-ways, etc.

It's probably a bit excessive, but it works for me.

Katie, I also stress about the course if I have not run it before. I don't know how far you live from your next race, but when i"m within an hour I usually print out the course map and run or walk at least some of it to get a feel for what I'm getting into. Most of my races are trail runs so it can be easier to check them out without worrying about traffic, one-ways, etc.

It's probably a bit excessive, but it works for me.

I love that idea! I haven’t had that option with any of my races yet, but will keep it in mind for sure! Humble Creek and Mission Possible were on private property and Victory at Yorktown was 3 hours away lol... I might be able to do that for my next race but they don’t a map posted... I’m really nervous about that whole “conquer the hill” thing though so I may email them to ask for one. Worse case scenario they say no right??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter