Run/walking (how not to annoy other runners)

Nennie

Insert funny comment here!
I'm running the half marathon in January, but am doing the 4/1 run/walk Jeff Galloway program. I plan to stay all the way to the right, but am wondering what else I can do to not get in the way of other runners?

I was even contemplating wearing a shirt that says run/walk on the back. Just want to have a great time, and do my intervals without annoying everyone around me!

Any tips are appreciated!!!

You will be in good company as a run/walker. Disney races have lots of people who follow the Galloway program. It sounds good in theory to say you will stay right, but as crowded as the races are it is not always plausible to be on the right the whole time. Instead just stay aware of your surroundings and the paces that people are moving and avoid any sudden stops without first checking who is behind you.

We routinely raise our hand when we are preparing to start walking so that the people behind us see we are changing pace. Sometimes we will try to tuck in behind other walkers and then start walking. At times we may run a few seconds longer to be sure we are in a safe position to start walking as well.

Honestly, the most important thing is that if you are running with anyone else avoid walking more than two abreast. This is what really causes the most problems. One or two walkers together are generally easy to move around especially if you give some advance notice that you are changing pace.

Enjoy your race!

Hello Nennie,

I Galloway with my running buddy. We tend to be pretty loose about it. So usually when a race starts, we jog out until the crowd starts to thin and then head to the right for an interval of walking. Every race we wind up with a subgroup of folks who interval at about our speed and we laugh as we pass each other up repeatedly. Everyone has always been nice. Locally though, none of my races are near the size of a runDisney event.

Some of the areas of runDisney has been pretty tight and we had problems with runners trying to pass on the right. There are two issues that I think cause this problem. One is faster runners who did not send in a time and are trying to zip through several thousand 'slower' runners that released in their 'wrong' corral. The second issue I think is the pictures that get faster runners back in the mix, which is a unique runDisney issue. So I think bringing patience is key to a runDisney event. As long as you are keeping to the right for your walk intervals, I think you are doing super and also some people have loud apps that ring. Smart runners know that you are about to walk, but watch for the insistent speedy ones trying to pass on the right. To be fair, there are a lot of large groups that tend to clog up the middle. They can be walking three or more abreast and I imagine if you are first, it gets tiresome going around throngs of people... :)

I've done some run walking at Disney. I think staying to the right is a good starting point. There are a couple of Narrow sections like when you are leaving the magic kingdom where you might actually want to stay to the left. You'll have the road shoulder on the left and cones on your right.

Two other things.
1. Raise your hand. I've seen people raise there hand when they are getting ready to stop for a walk break. Disney is crowded and than will prevent someone from running into you.
2. Be conscious of your walk breaks when passing. If you are passing someone on a run interval don't move in front of them and immediately start a walk break.

Have fun!

You will be in good company as a run/walker. Disney races have lots of people who follow the Galloway program. It sounds good in theory to say you will stay right, but as crowded as the races are it is not always plausible to be on the right the whole time. Instead just stay aware of your surroundings and the paces that people are moving and avoid any sudden stops without first checking who is behind you.

We routinely raise our hand when we are preparing to start walking so that the people behind us see we are changing pace. Sometimes we will try to tuck in behind other walkers and then start walking. At times we may run a few seconds longer to be sure we are in a safe position to start walking as well.

Honestly, the most important thing is that if you are running with anyone else avoid walking more than two abreast. This is what really causes the most problems. One or two walkers together are generally easy to move around especially if you give some advance notice that you are changing pace.

Enjoy your race!

I agree. I run/walk as well and Disney races have a lot of run/walkers so you won't be alone. I did the Marine Corps 10k this weekend and they had a lot of people walking as well. I think, in addition to ZellyB's tips, I would say don't start walking abruptly. Put up your hand to signal, slow down gradually to your walk. If you stop abruptly, it may be harder for people behind you to avoid you. I agree that the most important thing is to be aware of the people around you so you don't change your speed when there is someone right behind you and you don't end up walking next to people inadvertently creating a wall that makes it hard for other people to get by.

If you are doing a 4/1 I wouldn't say you need to stay to the far right the entire time you are running. 4 minutes of running is a lot and so you may find yourself stuck behind people that do shorter intervals. Your best bet will be to step more towards the center as you run and then when you switch to walk stick your hand in the air, clearly state walking and slow from a run to a walk while moving to the right.

I do a 30/45 split so I stick to the right simply because I walk and run quite a bit more often.

Great advice everyone. I didn't even think about the app! I use it too, so those around me will hear it the bells too. I like the hand up before I walk also. Glad to hear there are a lot of run/walkers out there! I was reading comments on another site and someone was complaining about how out of shape other people were b/c they started walking before the end of the first mile. I don't care if people think I'm out of shape (I kind of am!!), but don't want them trampling me either! LOL!!!

Thanks again all!!!

Great advice everyone. I didn't even think about the app! I use it too, so those around me will hear it the bells too. I like the hand up before I walk also. Glad to hear there are a lot of run/walkers out there! I was reading comments on another site and someone was complaining about how out of shape other people were b/c they started walking before the end of the first mile. I don't care if people think I'm out of shape (I kind of am!!), but don't want them trampling me either! LOL!!!

Thanks again all!!!

Just because someone walks doesn't mean they are out of shape. I hate people that assume that. I have breathing issues that I've had my whole life and with out run walk I have to use an inhaler that causes me to shake and takes me out of the race anyways and makes me feel worse. With run walk there is no need for the inhaler and I have an enjoyable fun race. Doctors have said if I don't need it don't use it because it isn't even asthma it is just a side effect of my crappy lungs.

I was reading comments on another site and someone was complaining about how out of shape other people were b/c they started walking before the end of the first mile.
I think a lot of that is ignorance on the part of the poster(s) on those forums. Either they don't understand the concept of run/walk or they're just trying to crap on other people in order to make themselves feel better. When I've done run/walk with my wife or been walking because I was taking a gu etc.... it seems like I always have a couple of spectators that treat walking like giving up. I feel like I need to explain that it's great that you are here cheering, but I'm walking for a reason. It's not me quitting or falling apart.

I think a lot of that is ignorance on the part of the poster(s) on those forums. Either they don't understand the concept of run/walk or they're just trying to crap on other people in order to make themselves feel better. When I've done run/walk with my wife or been walking because I was taking a gu etc.... it seems like I always have a couple of spectators that treat walking like giving up. I feel like I need to explain that it's great that you are here cheering, but I'm walking for a reason. It's not me quitting or falling apart.

Ugh I almost complained to Disney on the last Tower of Terror. There were a lot of us that hit our walk when Hades was on the over pass. He started yelling "Ladies it is called a run not a walk". I understood he was a "villain" and it was apart of his stick but it really made me feel like crap going into those last few miles.

I was reading comments on another site and someone was complaining about how out of shape other people were b/c they started walking before the end of the first mile.

There seems to be a small but vocal contingent in the running community that thinks participating in events like marathons and half marathons is only a worthwhile/respectable achievement if it is done at some arbitrary threshold of competence/excellence. I don't particularly understand this point of view and especially do not understand how combative and mean-spirited many of the proponents of this viewpoint become in attempting to belittle the achievements of others. Just some of the less favorable aspects of human psychology I guess.

Fortunately I have not seen much of this at rD events, although I see from other posts there have certainly been some unsavory moments even at Disney.

Back to your original post; I think most have covered it well. As long as you are aware of your surroundings you should be able to slow down without hindering others and raising an arm is always helpful. I run/walk with both an erratic interval (based on counting in my head to *hopefully* stay mentally sharp) and erratic pace (because I am terrible at pacing myself) and have not really had any major incidents. There are going to be 20,000+ runners out there. More than likely you are going to get annoyed with a few people and a few people will probably be annoyed with you (even though probably won't realize it). It's kind of par for the course with an event this size

I'm a walker only (except for a light jog at the beginning while the corrals thin out). My best vindication is while walking the Richmond marathon a couple of years ago, a woman on the side of the road thought it was "cute" that I was walking and thought she would join me. She gave up very quickly and declared that she couldn't keep up with me. :sad2: So now, when anyone makes a snide comment about me walking, I just invite them to try and keep up with me. :rotfl2:

There seems to be a small but vocal contingent in the running community that thinks participating in events like marathons and half marathons is only a worthwhile/respectable achievement if it is done at some arbitrary threshold of competence/excellence. I don't particularly understand this point of view and especially do not understand how combative and mean-spirited many of the proponents of this viewpoint become in attempting to belittle the achievements of others. Just some of the less favorable aspects of human psychology I guess.

Fortunately I have not seen much of this at rD events, although I see from other posts there have certainly been some unsavory moments even at Disney.

Back to your original post; I think most have covered it well. As long as you are aware of your surroundings you should be able to slow down without hindering others and raising an arm is always helpful. I run/walk with both an erratic interval (based on counting in my head to *hopefully* stay mentally sharp) and erratic pace (because I am terrible at pacing myself) and have not really had any major incidents. There are going to be 20,000+ runners out there. More than likely you are going to get annoyed with a few people and a few people will probably be annoyed with you (even though probably won't realize it). It's kind of par for the course with an event this size

Also, this seems to happen more online. Even the local races I've participated in and things like Rock and Roll races, people are very supportive in general. Even strangers have been encouraging. So, as with many things, just concentrate on the things you can do to make it a good experience for yourself and the people around you but ignore the online complainers.

I was reading comments on another site and someone was complaining about how out of shape other people were b/c they started walking before the end of the first mile. I don't care if people think I'm out of shape (I kind of am!!), but don't want them trampling me either! LOL!!!

Bottom line, anyone who is willing to put in the effort and have the courage to get to the starting line of any race has an equal right to be there, so don't worry about what others may think. Those that don't know of the long-proven successes of the Galloway method haven't been in the running community for very long, so they are the ignorant ones. Most runners, even the most elite runners, know about the method and the benefits of Galloway (injury prevention, etc).

That being said, I would echo what many others have stated... the main runner etiquette to remember when walking is to refrain from walking more than two across. I have seen this cause problems/back ups in many races over the years.

I like the shirt idea.

The problem with the arm up thing is that you are hoping that "runners" know the rules for "run/walkers". And they don't. Nor should they have to. So you're putting your hand up and the people you are signaling to have no idea what you're doing.

Look around you. Have the ability to run a bit further if there's nowhere safe to stop for the walk interval.

If you're a party of two+, watch for other parties of two+ so you don't become an unpassable, accidental, clump of 4+. Don't be afraid to split up or go single file every so often.

For the walking, watch the elbows! Have a brutal and honest friend walk behind you on an at-speed training run/walk and tell you if your elbows are going wild. Especially if you are tall. Some runners have crazy elbows (and watch for the dancing runners!) but IME it's more prevalent with fast walkers.

Just got home from the RnR Vancouver, my first back to back. 1:1 intervals for the most part with DS for the 10k then more walking and less running (but faster than with DS) for the Half. And I saw all these problems on the course. But it's worse for Disney runs IME.

When I'm running I expect the people around me to keep about the same pace they are running without slowing down drastically. If they need to slow down for any reason I would hope they'd raise their hand and move to the side.

This is especially true in water stops. There is no reason to slow down or stop in a water stop. Please don't do it, please.

For a run/walk moving to the side is probably not really practical but I think a raised hand and quick look around to make sure no one is right behind before slowing is good running etiquette. I would also agree that two abreast is really as wide as a group should go.

There is no reason to slow down or stop in a water stop.

If I'm planning on drinking anything from those dixie cups, slowing down is absolutely essential at a water stop!

What's not essential at a water stop is walking right in the middle (Disney tends to put water on both sides) like you're just going through (I was in the middle b/c I was just going through since I carried my own water bottle) and then coming to a FULL stop because you just decided you needed to make a 90 degree turn to that one water person right there. That move in front of me resulted in me stepping fully on the dude's heel (though to be exact it was his I-assume-girlfriend in front of him who stopped first) b/c I didn't anticipate it at all.

For a run/walk moving to the side is probably not really practical

Sure it is. I do it all the time. Even with my 1:1 minute intervals. I'm not moving a ton, but I'm moving over. Because if I stay all the way to the right, in my runs I'm then running into people in front of me. I *have to* move to the left. And in my walks, if I stay where I was running, I'm now part of the problem. I have to move right.

If I'm planning on drinking anything from those dixie cups, slowing down is absolutely essential at a water stop!

I'm in the same boat. I've tried and tried the pinching the cup method and - at best - 50% of the water gets used and 50% of the water goes on the shirt, shorts, or shoes. At worst, I end up water-boarding myself and coughing like mad for a few minutes. And this is after three years of participating in runs. I hope I can master that one day still.

Also, let me +1 the raising your hand when stopping. People see it enough (especially at Disney races), and they will equate the hand raise with transitioning from run to walk. That's how I learned...and I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Lastly, if it's deep into the marathon and I'm trotting by you ("running" would be too kind at that point) don't be surprised to get a high five from me. I'm usually very silly at that point in a race. Please don't take offense - I'm just trying to spread cheer!

When I'm running I expect the people around me to keep about the same pace they are running without slowing down drastically. If they need to slow down for any reason I would hope they'd raise their hand and move to the side.

This is especially true in water stops. There is no reason to slow down or stop in a water stop. Please don't do it, please.

For a run/walk moving to the side is probably not really practical but I think a raised hand and quick look around to make sure no one is right behind before slowing is good running etiquette. I would also agree that two abreast is really as wide as a group should go.

So two quick questions about this. When you say there's no reason to stop in the water stop are you advocating going through the water stop at pace and then moving to the right to drink and not dropping into a walk interval until you are through the water stop. I think the first item, walk after the waterstop to drink not in the waterstop makes a lot of sense. Waterstops can be crazy so the less people stopping in them the better. I am not sure about the walk interval during the waterstop. I think that would depend on the people around you. To me it's somewhat like a highway. The closer you are speedwise to the people around you the less likely you are to have an accident. Going much faster or slower than the surrounding traffic is a recipe for an accident.

I'm in the same boat. I've tried and tried the pinching the cup method and - at best - 50% of the water gets used and 50% of the water goes on the shirt, shorts, or shoes. At worst, I end up water-boarding myself and coughing like mad for a few minutes. And this is after three years of participating in runs. I hope I can master that one day still.
For me I learned by accident. I think it really helps if the cups are 1/3 or less filled. Disney tends to fill their cups more and that tends to cause problems. Can you drink from a squeeze bottle while you are running?

Lastly, if it's deep into the marathon and I'm trotting by you ("running" would be too kind at that point) don't be surprised to get a high five from me. I'm usually very silly at that point in a race. Please don't take offense - I'm just trying to spread cheer!

If you see me, you have full permission to high 5 me! My best race was the 2 miles I spent with total strangers during ToT who were just goof balls. They were this little old ladies who were just eating up every moment of the course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter