Run/walking (how not to annoy other runners)

I generally slow to a walk at water stops as well. Again, I try to be as cognizant as possible about those around me, but those waterstops at Disney are CRAZY. There is usually a ton of cups and spilled water there and it can get pretty slippery as well. Last thing I want to do is wipe out while trying to get through there. I'd rather courteously slow down and get through unscathed.

I generally slow to a walk at water stops as well. Again, I try to be as cognizant as possible about those around me, but those waterstops at Disney are CRAZY. There is usually a ton of cups and spilled water there and it can get pretty slippery as well. Last thing I want to do is wipe out while trying to get through there. I'd rather courteously slow down and get through unscathed.

Thats actually why I walk most water stops even if I'm not getting water or on a walk interval! The wet road just makes me so nervous and I dont want to fall!

I used to run through the entire race, no matter the distance - including water stops. I was able to drink by pinching the cup and holding it so that only a small hole was left on once side and then sucking the water through that hole to minimize the amount of air that I swallowed and to stop the slop. Works pretty well if you practice.

I now walk through all water stops - that is, I run through grabbing 2 cups (one water and one gatorade/powerade), then I slow to a walk just past the water stop and drink them both. I hate walking through the actual water stops because they get so congested and I don't want someone to trip over me or run into me.

As for the etiquette - raising your hand is a universal signal that you are about to do something or need something. It says, "Pay attention to me!" If you raise your hand, people behind you will notice. If they are really dense they may do nothing but notice, but that is on them. Just be aware that late in races many people use really bad form and may be looking at the ground directly in front of their feet. They will not see a raised hand. They barely see the ground. Be careful of these folks. And if that describes anyone that you know, let them know that it is dangerous and hurts their ability to breathe effectively.

Key thing at the water stops: you do not have to stop at the first table! Walk or run part way through. Everyone backs up at the first table like they couldn't possibly go another 30 yards further to another table and bog up the aid stations.

Also, usually there is a set order of if they have water first, then Powerade, or vice versa. Most, if not all aid stations will be in that same order.

So two quick questions about this. When you say there's no reason to stop in the water stop are you advocating going through the water stop at pace and then moving to the right to drink and not dropping into a walk interval until you are through the water stop. I think the first item, walk after the waterstop to drink not in the waterstop makes a lot of sense. Waterstops can be crazy so the less people stopping in them the better. I am not sure about the walk interval during the waterstop. I think that would depend on the people around you. To me it's somewhat like a highway. The closer you are speedwise to the people around you the less likely you are to have an accident. Going much faster or slower than the surrounding traffic is a recipe for an accident.

I agree with the bolded. I think whatever pace you are doing going into the water stop you should keep through it. I stay at pace, grab the cup, move a little left to get out of the line of cups, drink, and throw all without changing my pace. I think we all expect to stay within a few seconds of our pace during the process and aren't trying to make any drastic maneuvers to avoid people.

Luckily most of the time people stick to their pace so it isn't a problem but going from a 6:15 pace to a dead stop or slow walk is a recipe for disaster. If you need to stop to drink please get past all the tables and move over before such a drastic pace change.

Key thing at the water stops: you do not have to stop at the first table! Walk or run part way through. Everyone backs up at the first table like they couldn't possibly go another 30 yards further to another table and bog up the aid stations.
I am the runner who always decides to grab water at some of the tail end volunteers. That was until ToT 2013, when I was following a woman who grabbed water from each of the last 5 volunteers, including the one volunteer who saw I was trying to get water and was pulling it away from her. Honestly no matter how hot the weather you don't need that much water at a single water stop when they are only 1.5 miles apart.

I try to keep pace through the water stops, but will slow down to ensure I don't shower myself and the volunteer with a missed handoff. I also attempt to get back to the middle quickly once I have my cup to not impede another runner from their water. If I am not stopping I am run dead middle (if water on both sides) or on the opposite side. I pinch the cup, drink a couple of sips and usually pour the rest over my head (I hate when I grab a sports drink by accident as it is very sticky to be wearing). Spilling on my shirt is fine since any wicking shirt is usually mostly wet anyway in the FL weather.

I think a lot of that is ignorance on the part of the poster(s) on those forums. Either they don't understand the concept of run/walk or they're just trying to crap on other people in order to make themselves feel better. When I've done run/walk with my wife or been walking because I was taking a gu etc.... it seems like I always have a couple of spectators that treat walking like giving up. I feel like I need to explain that it's great that you are here cheering, but I'm walking for a reason. It's not me quitting or falling apart.

I agree. Big deal if people are taking a walk break in the first mile. They've probably found a system that works well for them to finish strong. Besides part of the Run/Walk Method is to use those walk breaks as active recovery. The poster probably doesn't understand the concept.

I'm in the same boat. I've tried and tried the pinching the cup method and - at best - 50% of the water gets used and 50% of the water goes on the shirt, shorts, or shoes. At worst, I end up water-boarding myself and coughing like mad for a few minutes. And this is after three years of participating in runs. I hope I can master that one day still.

Taken me a while, but I've learned to drink 1/2 of the liquid, hold in mouth, breathe through nose and swallow in between breaths. It sounds crazy but its the only method that has worked for me that doesn't result in me wearing the contents of the cup!

To the original poster, I think everyone has covered it. These all can apply to everyone, not just walkers, run/walkers. The group of people running 4,5,6,7 abreast drives me crazy every time I see it during a race. Unless the group is the ABSOLUTE last group of people, this is just a hazard and annoying.

Taken me a while, but I've learned to drink 1/2 of the liquid, hold in mouth, breathe through nose and swallow in between breaths. It sounds crazy but its the only method that has worked for me that doesn't result in me wearing the contents of the cup!
That is exactly what I do. Suck it into my mouth, swallow during a pause in my breathing - repeat as necessary.

I just want to say thank you to the OP for being considerate of others! I think it is important to know your own pace and understand that there will be both faster and slower. I have no issue with anyone walking but I have an issue with the four abreast, the crazy dog that jumps out at people passing, and getting hit with a stroller! All have happened to me at races. At one I had two ladies take up the entire path so that I couldn't get by because they were trying to get a winner's medal for their friend. I had to go off the path and into the mud and woods to get past them.

At one I had two ladies take up the entire path so that I couldn't get by because they were trying to get a winner's medal for their friend. I had to go off the path and into the mud and woods to get past them.

They were no ladies! (I'm just sayin') :rolleyes1

I just want to say thank you to the OP for being considerate of others! I think it is important to know your own pace and understand that there will be both faster and slower. I have no issue with anyone walking but I have an issue with the four abreast, the crazy dog that jumps out at people passing, and getting hit with a stroller! All have happened to me at races. At one I had two ladies take up the entire path so that I couldn't get by because they were trying to get a winner's medal for their friend. I had to go off the path and into the mud and woods to get past them.
I do a lot of running and races and have never had someone fail to yield when I have called out "passing on your left" unless they had in ear buds and their music was too loud. In those cases, they have always been apologetic when I tapped them on the shoulder. Not sure what I would do in this case - hope it never happens to me.

They were no ladies! (I'm just sayin') :rolleyes1
LOL! It definitely wasn't the word I muttered under my breath the entire 3 miles. They would also pass me and get right in front of me and slow to a crawl so even walking, I had to slow my pace. I also found out after that they were volunteers for the charity hosting the race!

I did 2/1 intervals at the PHM this year, my first race of that size. I was worried beforehand about the experience of run/walking too, because I had read some of the bad stories about it. But I found that after a few miles I knew who was also doing similar intervals (started in corral I). Lots of watches beeping and people raising hands - good etiquette overall, I thought. It was sometimes hard to get to the side for walking - it was often about checking behind me to see if anyone was too close to be able to reroute around me and then just waiting for a good stretch before I walked again. I definitely devoted brain space to managing the traffic throughout the race and adjusting my intervals as needed, but I didn't have any problems.

Props to anyone who grabs and drinks while running. I slow down and walk through as well. Too much going on in those areas for me!

I would add that often the issues is not about a run/walker entering their walking phase.
Often the issue can be a runner abruptly shifting right or left and not looking first. I have found that most runners are just awesome - polite, aware of their surroundings and very conscious of their impact on others. At other times some runners simply go left or right and cut others off with no signal and no check. That has always been my pet peeve, especially if it is me that needs to cut stride and veer sharply to avoid tripping and falling. But my experience with runners at Marathon Weekend last year was really great. Issues are the rare exception.

Whatever you do don't physically grab someone to move them out of your way, just sayin' as a woman did that too me at this year's marathon when on the path by Yacht/Beach club. Guess she thought I was too slow and grabbed me and pushed me to get by. I just pretend I'm a car and check over my shoulder before cutting across to get to a character or take a picture or when I walk at water stops or anywhere.

Also please if you need to pass say which side! If you nee to get around me I need to know which way to move. Someone behind me in DHS during this years Wine and Dine got pissy and said "Seriously!" when I steped to the right when she said excuse me. I yelled back you need to say which side you need clear! She didn't hear me and her friend said yeah you didn't sag which side.

Also please if you need to pass say which side! If you nee to get around me I need to know which way to move. Someone behind me in DHS during this years Wine and Dine got pissy and said "Seriously!" when I steped to the right when she said excuse me. I yelled back you need to say which side you need clear! She didn't hear me and her friend said yeah you didn't sag which side.
Good point - I always do this, but new runners don't think about it. When trail running I simply call out, "coming up behind you" and pass on whatever side they vacate, but in races people are so focused on themselves (or their music) that they can't hear you until you get really close so you need to say something like, "passing on your left".

I know it's not the best option for people to get through long races if they love music as motivation....but I think my two best runs were when I went without music. I still had my earbud in for my pace updates. But I just was so aware of my surroundings, breathing, just everything. And weirdly my race flew by faster somehow.
I really suggest everyone try it at least once even if just in a local 5k.
I am also a run through the water stop person. I like to wait to the end tables as it gives me a chance to move over and I like to make eye contact and point at the volunteer I will be getting water from...so I don't bumble it. I'm still pretty terrible about getting it all in my mouth but I'll learn.

I was a run/walker when I started with couch 2 5k and what worked best for me was to not be a slave to your intervals. If you need a minute more of running to get in a non-congested area, or 10 more seconds, etc...allow yourself that and add impromptu things like that into your training.

I did a 5k on Saturday and on a crowded path a woman decided to pass me on the right without saying anything. If I had stepped an inch to my right, she would have gone down the embankment and into the river. Clearly she ran faster than her common sense could catch up!

I know it's not the best option for people to get through long races if they love music as motivation....but I think my two best runs were when I went without music. I still had my earbud in for my pace updates. But I just was so aware of my surroundings, breathing, just everything. And weirdly my race flew by faster somehow.
I really suggest everyone try it at least once even if just in a local 5k.
I agree, but only on shorter races/runs. Really long runs/races have long stretches with little/no entertainment. Even when running trails through the beautiful countryside, I need my music to get me through those "blah" zones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter