Running costumes

Does anyone have a preference of tutu vs. running skirt? I want to do one for the Princess and tutu's are easier to make (especially since I would have to hand sew the skirt or find a machine to borrow) but some people have complained they can be itchy.

Megara is one of my must-do costumes! I have a whole board on pinterest about ideas for her costume. It seems like it would be a good warm weather race costume since it's pretty much a fancy tank top. Endor Leia- did you wear the helmet? Was it hot? Red Wine Queen- that's pretty darn awesome.
And Flynn gave you The Smolder?! I am so jealous!! Rapunzel is also much most elaborate costume to date. I love love it so much that I pretty much trot out the light up braid all the time. It's been in two half marathons and several run in the dark 5ks. I'd be lying if I said I've never worn it while folding laundry ... :blush:

LOVE your Cap costume - that is awesome!

Megara was pretty easy, just added a poofy ruffle to a lavender tank and the shoulder coins, added a sparkle skirt and purple leggings.

For Endor Leia, I did a mashup of the poncho/military uniform and wore a gunmetal Sparkle visor to evoke the helmet. It was all surprisingly perfect given cool morning temps warming up later on.

Flynn giving me the smolder is my absolute favorite race moment because it was totally unexpected and random - I wasn't in line for a photo! Will post some pics, but need to get on a different device! :)

As for pictures, here's what I've got so far - I should have my skirts finished tonight to complete my Disneyland outfits, but you can get an idea from the tops:

View attachment 111646

And then here are the graphics I finished for the front of my Wine & Dine top:
View attachment 111645
Wow- the HTV looks really sharp and colorful! Is it a special machine you need to print it or is it just a special kind of paper?
Here's my Anna-inspired from February, along with my sister's Rapunzel (complete with Pascal as a scarf):
View attachment 111655

The colors aren't perfect, but we had fun with it, which was what mattered most to us.
The inspired costumes looked great! The weather was so abnormally cold- your stuff is a great way to be warm AND princess-y

Does anyone have a preference of tutu vs. running skirt? I want to do one for the Princess and tutu's are easier to make (especially since I would have to hand sew the skirt or find a machine to borrow) but some people have complained they can be itchy.
For me personally, I don't have an issue and here's what I do- first I wear a running skirt under my tutu. It helps keep the tulle from getting caught between my legs and keeps is off my body. I also make my tutus SUPER poofy. Most people only do on strip of tulle per knot in the skirt- i do three or four, and I have all the tulle packed tightly in, which make is lift up and stick out. The only one that does itch for me is my Rapunzel tutu, and that's because I made it go down to mid calf, so my legs bump against it when I run. next time I use it I'll probably cut it to not have to deal with that anymore.

Megara, Endor Trooper Leia, Rapunzel costumes. Heroes from the Princess Half - it's not a great photo because I was shooting into the sun, but if you look closely, you'll see Flynn's smolder.
View attachment 111678 View attachment 111679 View attachment 111680 View attachment 111681
The Megara one looks wonderful! And it looks like I was pretty easy. Man, I have mentally been making it harder than it needs to be. And I suppose that Leia's hat does have a bill on it already. The open top visor visually really works well. And nice to be able to reuse pieces. I usually gut my tutus- the blue in the Cap one is from an Anna tutu and the white is from and Elsa tutu and the red from a a Raphael tutu from a Ninja Turtles run- always ready to save some money! And Oh my gosh, Flynn is smoldering and he's pointing at you and everything! :love:
Here's my Rapunzel outfit. It is so over the top to the point of being laughable, but that's also exactly why I love it:cutie:
friendscover.jpg

Last edited:
Wow- the HTV looks really sharp and colorful! Is it a special machine you need to print it or is it just a special kind of paper?

I have a Silhouette Cameo - basically, it's like a printer but instead of a printer cartridge, it has a little blade that cuts anything from fabric to cardstock to vinyl for the wall to heat-transfer material.

You buy the specific colors and then cut the pieces out, layer them together and bond them to shirts or whatever with either a heat press or just a regular old iron.

You can take any ole image and then trace it so it will cut things out, or you can design things yourself. I make koozies for parties, girls trips, pretty much every weekend or concept that pops in to my brain. It's kind of an addiction!

It's THE. BEST. They're a little pricey, and I never would've bought one for myself - but my parents surprised me with it for my birthday last year. I love doing papercrafting and things, and it's REALLY helpful for things like that.

Here's my Rapunzel outfit. It is so over the top to the point of being laughable, but that's also exactly why I love it:cutie:

OMG, I love it! It's amazing! Very accurate looking ... and are there parts of the hair that are glowing? That's incredible!

im doing my first 5k ever princess half marathon weekend 2016 and i ordered a "little mermaid" running skirt. Immediately after I got into sewing and I am now sewing a handful of skirts for my trip in september.

In addition to the little mermaid skirt I am going to be creating a top that says "legs are required..for running" with my cricut and I purchased some cute mini little mermaid bows to clip the sleeves up. I am undecided about creating little mermaid ears or wearing my mini princess tiara but there is still time.

Also my hair is "little mermaid" red atm so I will probably dye it that color again if for some reason I change it.

Everyone has such great ideas and it is giving me even more inspiration!

I LOVE the posters idea. I could see the debate- if they get too small people won't be able to see them while you are running, but only a couple of large ones might look clunky. Do you have pics of your Matterhorn one? It sounds really cool!

Here's the front and the back...
1977120_10152492529889033_1729294829181457900_n.jpg10730767_10152492530179033_1613448535186571272_n.jpg
I thought Mickey and Goofy were in the picture but they weren't. Needless to say, after the wind at Avengers, everything blew off and I had to reprint them a few weeks back. :rotfl:

I've done both and didn't have a problem w/ either. I thought the tutu would be scratchy but it wasn't. I have one for the DL 10k outfit that I always wear; it doesn't make or break the outfit just adds to it, but this year it'll come down whether or not I have room in my luggage. That's one plus ~ skirts are easier to transport.

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the red and white polka dot Sparkle Athletic skirt so I can go as Minnie Mouse for Wine and Dine. I'm not planning an elaborate costume, but I think that skirt with a black top and my Minnie Mouse headband ears would be cute. ::MinnieMo

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the red and white polka dot Sparkle Athletic skirt so I can go as Minnie Mouse for Wine and Dine. I'm not planning an elaborate costume, but I think that skirt with a black top and my Minnie Mouse headband ears would be cute. ::MinnieMo
Sparkle Athletic is having a sale tomorrow, buy one skirt/visor, get one skirt/visor 50% off. Of course, I just ordered 2 visors this morning. :-/

The Minnie skirt is super-cute and the visor as well!

That is what I am thinking of too! :)

The Megara one looks wonderful! And it looks like I was pretty easy. Man, I have mentally been making it harder than it needs to be. And I suppose that Leia's hat does have a bill on it already. The open top visor visually really works well. And nice to be able to reuse pieces. I usually gut my tutus- the blue in the Cap one is from an Anna tutu and the white is from and Elsa tutu and the red from a a Raphael tutu from a Ninja Turtles run- always ready to save some money! And Oh my gosh, Flynn is smoldering and he's pointing at you and everything! :love:
View attachment 111711

Yeah, the Megara wasn't too bad; I have to keep things fairly simple because I hand-sew everything. Basically, I just made a ruffle and then found strategic anchoring points after a test run. The Leia costume was more work than it looks, the overlay was originally a men's running jacket I found and then shortened (it fell mid-thigh originally!) and also had to cap the sleeves and be sure they were relatively symmetrical, then hem by hand. I also hand-sewed yellow ribbons up the sides of my blue compression capris. Rapunzel embellishments were also hand-sewn, really difficult to keep a straight seam! I even added lace cuffs on the arm warmers! :)

For Dopey, I might do Disgust for the 5K (BRF is Joy, but not finalized), Honey Lemon for the 10K (I'm a scientist), Buzz Lightyear for the half (BRF will be Jessie), and Alice for the full because she's my favorite.

The best part of the Flynn experience was that I didn't even realize he'd been pointing at me and smoldering until after I'd taken the photo!! :love::love::love:

Last edited:
This year I did the 10K as the Evil Queen. Here is the costume I made.

I also painted a matching magic band.

This year i am doing all three princess races. For the 5K my DD and DM are running with me. My DD wants Lion King themed costumes. She says Nala is a princess after all.

I'm going to do Minnie for the 10K and Belle (my favorite princess) for the half.

Wow HockeyMomNH your costumes rocked! I hope I see your lion king themed costumes on race day! I am sure they will be great :)

you guys are so awesome with your costumes...I may be a dude but I can appreciate it none the less, We have ours planned out and in various stages of assembly for the 5k the wife and I are doing Beauty and the Beast, she is going as more of the holiday version of Belle she made a gold tutu and also found an awesome Belle jacket on etsy, not sure what we are doing for me yet though it may be as simple as wearing all blue and just putting the word beast on the shirt, for her 10k she is doing Rapunzel (purple top with ribbon accents, Purple tutu with purple capris under and she has a Pasqal for her shoulder) Ill be doing Mike from Monsters Inc for the Marathon (MU hat, green shirt with eye made out of felt, and hopefully green shorts but I havn't found the right color yet ill go black as a last resort) Ill try to post some pictures once things are a bit more compiled

OMG I love costumes! So far I have mainly gone down the Disneybound/inspired by route as well, but this time I'm getting more creative. Loving everyone's ideas and costumes so far!

My first costumes were for last year's Disneyland 5k. Mum and I went as Piglet and Tigger. I had the tops made on customisedgirl.com. The back of the Piglet one says 'You are braver than you believe', and the back of the Tigger one says 'You are stronger than you seem'. I just wore a pink sparkle skirt, and Mum painted orange stripes on her black tri shorts. Her visor was actually a blue sparkle visor, but I covered it in black material for the 5k and made the Tigger ears which I attached with pin backs. I made my Piglet ears too, but they fell off halfway around.

For the 10k, we went as Alice characters. Our shirts all say 'We're all mad down under', with a picture of the character over a map of Australia. Mum and I wore sparkle skirts. I added the little apron part to Mum's, and for mine I attached purple streamers over the top of my pink sparkle skirt. The boys just wore whatever. I made Mum's Alice bow and attached it with a pin back, my Cheshire Cat ears from fur, and Dad's rabbit ears which I attached to his hat with pin backs. For DH's Mad Hatter hat, I used an existing baseball cap he had and basically built onto it using cardboard and felt.

Next was a local 10k at the Cadbury factory in Tasmania. Not sure how familiar you are with Cadbury in the US, but everyone in Australia calls that colour 'Cadbury purple'. I also made a hairbow out of some chocolate wrappers.

For another local 10k out in the bush, I went as a koala - just a grey top and sparkle skirt, and a pair of koala ears I already had.

For this year's Disneyland 5k, I'm going as Jessica Rabbit. I just finished making this dress from scratch, using a cut up running top as a pattern. I will also make some purple wristlets, and I've got some red hair chalk coming which I'll use to add a couple of streaks to my plait.

For the half, I'm going as Mulan in her battle outfit. I've got a grey base (top and sparkle skirt), and will add bits of black sequin material for 'armour' and green lycra using google image pictures as a guide. I haven't started on this yet, so no pictures.

I also love Disneybounding, and have my Boo outfit ready to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter