Running costumes

OMG! That looks AMAZING!!! I'm very impressed - and such a great idea as well!
Thanks! I think the red head was the very first running costume idea I ever had- I'm surprised it took me so many races to actually have it for a race.

I have a Silhouette Cameo - basically, it's like a printer but instead of a printer cartridge, it has a little blade that cuts anything from fabric to cardstock to vinyl for the wall to heat-transfer material.

You buy the specific colors and then cut the pieces out, layer them together and bond them to shirts or whatever with either a heat press or just a regular old iron.

You can take any ole image and then trace it so it will cut things out, or you can design things yourself. I make koozies for parties, girls trips, pretty much every weekend or concept that pops in to my brain. It's kind of an addiction!

It's THE. BEST. They're a little pricey, and I never would've bought one for myself - but my parents surprised me with it for my birthday last year. I love doing papercrafting and things, and it's REALLY helpful for things like that.
I could see how it becomes the go to. With the cheap little iron ons, I make shirts for every occasion- themed parties or dress up day at school. For super hero day at school I was able to make girly Avengers clothes for my girls just because I could! I might have to look into your HTV. Your shirts just look so crisp and pretty!
IMG_2769.JPG

OMG, I love it! It's amazing! Very accurate looking ... and are there parts of the hair that are glowing? That's incredible!
Yes! I have magical hair that glows when I run!

im doing my first 5k ever princess half marathon weekend 2016 and i ordered a "little mermaid" running skirt. Immediately after I got into sewing and I am now sewing a handful of skirts for my trip in september.

In addition to the little mermaid skirt I am going to be creating a top that says "legs are required..for running" with my cricut and I purchased some cute mini little mermaid bows to clip the sleeves up. I am undecided about creating little mermaid ears or wearing my mini princess tiara but there is still time.

Also my hair is "little mermaid" red atm so I will probably dye it that color again if for some reason I change it.

Everyone has such great ideas and it is giving me even more inspiration!
Ha! The sewing gets addicting! I like how you said you are making a handful of skirts :cool1: My vote would be for tiara over ears, but I also personally never turn down the opportunity to wear a tiara ...

Here's the front and the back...
View attachment 111874View attachment 111873
I thought Mickey and Goofy were in the picture but they weren't. Needless to say, after the wind at Avengers, everything blew off and I had to reprint them a few weeks back. :rotfl:

I've done both and didn't have a problem w/ either. I thought the tutu would be scratchy but it wasn't. I have one for the DL 10k outfit that I always wear; it doesn't make or break the outfit just adds to it, but this year it'll come down whether or not I have room in my luggage. That's one plus ~ skirts are easier to transport.
Gosh, that wind was something else, wasn't it? poor mile markers. We hardly knew ye ...
But I LOVE the Matterhorn outfit! That is very clever!
Yeah, my suitcases for races pretty much always look like this:
IMG_2803 (480x640).jpg
I also pack those ziploc bags with the air valve on them so for the flight home I put the tutu in the bag and roll all the air out of it, and then I have space for all of the expo merchandise I bought! :rotfl:

OMG.

Now seriously thinking I need to work a Monorail outfit in there somewhere.

Por favor manténgase alejado de las puertas!
And the skirt could be all of the different monorail- the skirt to make ANY color top!

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the red and white polka dot Sparkle Athletic skirt so I can go as Minnie Mouse for Wine and Dine. I'm not planning an elaborate costume, but I think that skirt with a black top and my Minnie Mouse headband ears would be cute. ::MinnieMo
That would be cute! And Minnie is usually one of the characters doing photos in the place you have to hang out in before going to the corrals, so you could get your picture with her!

Yeah, the Megara wasn't too bad; I have to keep things fairly simple because I hand-sew everything. Basically, I just made a ruffle and then found strategic anchoring points after a test run. The Leia costume was more work than it looks, the overlay was originally a men's running jacket I found and then shortened (it fell mid-thigh originally!) and also had to cap the sleeves and be sure they were relatively symmetrical, then hem by hand. I also hand-sewed yellow ribbons up the sides of my blue compression capris. Rapunzel embellishments were also hand-sewn, really difficult to keep a straight seam! I even added lace cuffs on the arm warmers! :)

For Dopey, I might do Disgust for the 5K (BRF is Joy, but not finalized), Honey Lemon for the 10K (I'm a scientist), Buzz Lightyear for the half (BRF will be Jessie), and Alice for the full because she's my favorite.

The best part of the Flynn experience was that I didn't even realize he'd been pointing at me and smoldering until after I'd taken the photo!! :love::love::love:
Disgust would be such a fun one to do! ANd hHoney Lemon! You could carry you gels in your purse!

This year I did the 10K as the Evil Queen. Here is the costume I made.

I also painted a matching magic band.

This year i am doing all three princess races. For the 5K my DD and DM are running with me. My DD wants Lion King themed costumes. She says Nala is a princess after all.

I'm going to do Minnie for the 10K and Belle (my favorite princess) for the half.
That Queen costume is so impressive! And painting a Magic Band- just wow!

you guys are so awesome with your costumes...I may be a dude but I can appreciate it none the less, We have ours planned out and in various stages of assembly for the 5k the wife and I are doing Beauty and the Beast, she is going as more of the holiday version of Belle she made a gold tutu and also found an awesome Belle jacket on etsy, not sure what we are doing for me yet though it may be as simple as wearing all blue and just putting the word beast on the shirt, for her 10k she is doing Rapunzel (purple top with ribbon accents, Purple tutu with purple capris under and she has a Pasqal for her shoulder) Ill be doing Mike from Monsters Inc for the Marathon (MU hat, green shirt with eye made out of felt, and hopefully green shorts but I havn't found the right color yet ill go black as a last resort) Ill try to post some pictures once things are a bit more compiled
I love her Rapunzel ideas- and holiday Belle- what a cool choice! And Mike W. seems like it would be fun to do with still being very comfortable.

OMG I love costumes! So far I have mainly gone down the Disneybound/inspired by route as well, but this time I'm getting more creative. Loving everyone's ideas and costumes so far!

My first costumes were for last year's Disneyland 5k. Mum and I went as Piglet and Tigger. I had the tops made on customisedgirl.com. The back of the Piglet one says 'You are braver than you believe', and the back of the Tigger one says 'You are stronger than you seem'. I just wore a pink sparkle skirt, and Mum painted orange stripes on her black tri shorts. Her visor was actually a blue sparkle visor, but I covered it in black material for the 5k and made the Tigger ears which I attached with pin backs. I made my Piglet ears too, but they fell off halfway around.

For the 10k, we went as Alice characters. Our shirts all say 'We're all mad down under', with a picture of the character over a map of Australia. Mum and I wore sparkle skirts. I added the little apron part to Mum's, and for mine I attached purple streamers over the top of my pink sparkle skirt. The boys just wore whatever. I made Mum's Alice bow and attached it with a pin back, my Cheshire Cat ears from fur, and Dad's rabbit ears which I attached to his hat with pin backs. For DH's Mad Hatter hat, I used an existing baseball cap he had and basically built onto it using cardboard and felt.

Next was a local 10k at the Cadbury factory in Tasmania. Not sure how familiar you are with Cadbury in the US, but everyone in Australia calls that colour 'Cadbury purple'. I also made a hairbow out of some chocolate wrappers.

For another local 10k out in the bush, I went as a koala - just a grey top and sparkle skirt, and a pair of koala ears I already had.

For this year's Disneyland 5k, I'm going as Jessica Rabbit. I just finished making this dress from scratch, using a cut up running top as a pattern. I will also make some purple wristlets, and I've got some red hair chalk coming which I'll use to add a couple of streaks to my plait.

For the half, I'm going as Mulan in her battle outfit. I've got a grey base (top and sparkle skirt), and will add bits of black sequin material for 'armour' and green lycra using google image pictures as a guide. I haven't started on this yet, so no pictures.

I also love Disneybounding, and have my Boo outfit ready to go!

I actually got chills when I read you Piglet and Tigger shirts- what perfect running quotes! How was it running with fur ears? I love that you dress up for local races. The koala one is adorable! Our local movie theater had a Ninja Turtle run that I took my girls to. We were like the ONLY people who dressed up, but whatever. It was awesome!
image.jpg

The Jessica Rabbit costume is VERY impressive! The Sully keychair is the perfect touch for the Boo bounding!

Last edited:
My buddy and I wore these for the 5k During Goofy a couple years ago.
DFFFE4B3-8C51-4BAC-81B5-61BDDE34D7C3.jpg

I made a Flynn Rider costumer that I ran in for princess 2 years ago.

I've also run as a stick of Bacon.

I could use your help though. For Marathon weekend this year I would like to Run as "Bing Bong". I am thinking I could wear a pink tank top under a painted sport coat for the top and Yellow tights with orange painted on them for the legs. I am struggling with his cotton candy mid-section and his trunk. I was thinking I could use a bunch of layers of tulle kind of like a tutu to make the mid section. What should I attach it too ? What could I attach a trunk to that wouldn't get in my way when I'm running?

I could use your help though. For Marathon weekend this year I would like to Run as "Bing Bong". I am thinking I could wear a pink tank top under a painted sport coat for the top and Yellow tights with orange painted on them for the legs. I am struggling with his cotton candy mid-section and his trunk. I was thinking I could use a bunch of layers of tulle kind of like a tutu to make the mid section. What should I attach it too ? What could I attach a trunk to that wouldn't get in my way when I'm running?
First off, um, AMAZING snowmen! Totally awesome you ran in those!
For Bing Bong- here are some off of the top ideas for making him a running costume (and besides getting to brag about and share running costumes, I hope this thread lets us all discuss and provide jumping off points for figuring out our own stuff)
I personally would do a gray or brown running shirt to represent the jacket. Then I would add some pulled apart fiber fill or batting (like what you put in pillows) either dyed or spray painted pink for his cotton candy and fabric glue it to the middle of the shirt to represent the open jacket. Fingerless gloves are totally a must. For the trunk for a running costume I would attach it to the bow tie and have it laying on your chest, that way if it is just too annoying it can be easily removed. As far as making it- either paper mache or formed paper towel rolls that are painted? Hmmm. That would require more thought. Plus, the distance you are running in it would make a difference, I'd be willing to run in any sort of nonsense for a 5k or 10k because the run is quickly over no matter how uncomfortable I am, but for a half or full it would have to be comfortable enough to tolerate it for a few hours. Or at the very least you could use some pink lipstick and just make the end of your nose pink and forgo the trunk altogether. And a Goofy ears/hat headband just dyes brown and pink would be a very easy way to get Bing Bong's hat and ears taken care of.
And as a side note, I sure hope my kids aren't doing image searches for Bing Bong, because depending on the engine, there are some pretty questionable results!

Last edited:
First off, um, AMAZING snowmen! Totally awesome you ran in those!
For Bing Bong- here are some off of the top ideas for making him a running costume (and besides getting to brag about and share running costumes, I hope this thread lets us all discuss and provide jumping off points for figuring out our own stuff)
I personally would do a gray or brown running shirt to represent the jacket. Then I would add some pulled apart fiber fill or batting (like what you put in pillows) either dyed or spray painted pink for his cotton candy and fabric glue it to the middle of the shirt to represent the open jacket. Fingerless gloves are totally a must. For the trunk for a running costume I would attach it to the bow tie and have it laying on your chest, that way if it is just too annoying it can be easily removed. As far as making it- either paper mache or formed paper towel rolls that are painted? Hmmm.

Thanks for some great tips. I really like the idea of using Fiber fill. I wonder how hot that will be. (this is a half marathon costume). The idea of attaching the trunk to the bowtie is good too. Part of me is concerned that I am biting off more than I can chew and that I should switch it up and go as Disgust.

Thanks for some great tips. I really like the idea of using Fiber fill. I wonder how hot that will be. (this is a half marathon costume). The idea of attaching the trunk to the bowtie is good too. Part of me is concerned that I am biting off more than I can chew and that I should switch it up and go as Disgust.
Man, I think disgust could be such a fun costume with her neck scarf and giant eyelashes! As far as Bing Bong goes, the best thing about running costumes is they only have to represent the character- they don't have to be literal translations, You could probably forgo the puff and trunk and still have a great Bing Bong costume.

Man, I think disgust could be such a fun costume with her neck scarf and giant eyelashes! As far as Bing Bong goes, the best thing about running costumes is they only have to represent the character- they don't have to be literal translations, You could probably forgo the puff and trunk and still have a great Bing Bong costume.
I think disgust would be fun. And I'm guessing it would be a lot cooler to run in a dress and scarf than in the bing bong out fit. (I'm a dude though, so I have no experience running in a dress.) I have other friends that are running as Sadness and Joy. Running in a turtleneck sweater in FL will definitely be interesting.

I think disgust would be fun. And I'm guessing it would be a lot cooler to run in a dress and scarf than in the bing bong out fit. (I'm a dude though, so I have no experience running in a dress.) I have other friends that are running as Sadness and Joy. Running in a turtleneck sweater in FL will definitely be interesting.
HA! I can imagine running in a sweater would be miserable! At least Disgust still has capris under her dress, so you
could still be comfy.

I actually got chills when I read you Piglet and Tigger shirts- what perfect running quotes! How was it running with fur ears? I love that you dress up for local races. The koala one is adorable! Our local movie theater had a Ninja Turtle run that I took my girls to. We were like the ONLY people who dressed up, but whatever. It was awesome!
View attachment 112649

The Jessica Rabbit costume is VERY impressive! The Sully keychair is the perfect touch for the Boo bounding!

The Piglet and Tigger quotes had extra special meaning for us because we both struggled with injuries when we started training - Mum got stress fractures, and I ended up having compartment syndrome and had to have surgery on both legs to even be able to run. So we were definitely braver than we believed and stronger than we seemed! I often wear my Piglet top when I know I've got a hard workout or I'm not feeling strong.

*Nobody* in Australia ever dresses up for local races. I am the only person I have ever seen even wearing a sparkle skirt (you can't get them in Australia). And I tend to run most of my races solo, so I feel like a bit of a dill. It's just so much fun dressing up, I can't let that opportunity slip by! I love your Ninja Turtle costumes!

The Jessica Rabbit dress is pretty low quality workmanship up close, but as long as it looks good from a distance and stays put, I'm happy :thumbsup2

I am very impressed not only that you made those snowmen outfits, but that you ran 5k in them!

I like your Bing Bong ideas so far. Definitely agree that you need the fingerless gloves. For the cotton candy, I would stick with the tulle idea - maybe sew it to the seams of your top? So it would be attached on one seam, then loose around the front, and attached at the other seam, then loose again around the back and finished off by attaching to the first seam again. If you stick with the sports coat idea, you wouldn't even notice that it was attached at the sides. I have no ideas about a trunk though! I would probably just go with the previous suggestion of painting my nose pink.

After the 2011 and 2012 Disneyland 1/2 races, I decided to try running in costume for the 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2. Given my almost complete lack of speed, my costume must serve function first. For the 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2, I opted to run as Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty. I used a black long sleeve Nike tech shirt and a gray Nike tech tank top with dark blue pants and a red pillowcase serving as Phillip's cape. Honestly, some of the colors are not quite movie accurate, but I opted to use blue sweatpants since I already owned them. Some fellow DISers got what I was trying to do, but the CM at Darth Vader called me Superman. I don't think that most runners realized specifically what my costume was.

I was toying with running as Dagobah training Luke Skywalker with Yoda training me for the Star Wars 10K, but I decided against it because of concerns over whether or not I really wanted to run with a backpack on and because it made more sense to put that money towards the expo.

I opted for another simple costume that many might not have even recognized by going as Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker (albeit with blue lightsaber since I couldn't find my green one) for the Star Wars 1/2.

There were some great costumes at the Star Wars 1/2. TIE Fighters, Tinker Bell stormtroopers, Elsa Fett (complete with Han Solo frozen in carbonite), Jabba the Hutt (seriously) and the Death Star itself. I'm running the Rebel Challenge again in 2016 so I may go for another costume again.

After the 2011 and 2012 Disneyland 1/2 races, I decided to try running in costume for the 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2. Given my almost complete lack of speed, my costume must serve function first. For the 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2, I opted to run as Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty. I used a black long sleeve Nike tech shirt and a gray Nike tech tank top with dark blue pants and a red pillowcase serving as Phillip's cape. Honestly, some of the colors are not quite movie accurate, but I opted to use blue sweatpants since I already owned them. Some fellow DISers got what I was trying to do, but the CM at Darth Vader called me Superman. I don't think that most runners realized specifically what my costume was.

I was toying with running as Dagobah training Luke Skywalker with Yoda training me for the Star Wars 10K, but I decided against it because of concerns over whether or not I really wanted to run with a backpack on and because it made more sense to put that money towards the expo.

I opted for another simple costume that many might not have even recognized by going as Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker (albeit with blue lightsaber since I couldn't find my green one) for the Star Wars 1/2.

There were some great costumes at the Star Wars 1/2. TIE Fighters, Tinker Bell stormtroopers, Elsa Fett (complete with Han Solo frozen in carbonite), Jabba the Hutt (seriously) and the Death Star itself. I'm running the Rebel Challenge again in 2016 so I may go for another costume again.
That's totally waaaaaaay more Prince Philip than Superman. What a weird jump the CM made!
I think workout Luke would be a great running costume. Was your all black one really hot once the sun came up?

I've seen this on my Facebook feed about a hundred times, but I thought I'd post this here in case y'all haven't seen in and want a laugh- or your next costume!

image.jpg

My sister showed that to me the other day. Taco Belle!! :rotfl:

1st attempt at making a Mickey Ear Headband this weekend for DDD. I'll let you know how it goes. I figure if it doesn't work out, I'll get a cheap one at Party City and decorate it that way.

I've seen this on my Facebook feed about a hundred times, but I thought I'd post this here in case y'all haven't seen in and want a laugh- or your next costume!

not sure how well it would work for running LOL but that's pretty funny

I love all the ideas here! For my past runs I just wore black shirts/Minnie run skirt and black running tights. I fractured six ribs and wasn't able to run for a while. When I started running again, I ran the jingle jungle in a Monsters University inspired cheerleader outfit. I had a blue and white tutu, MU baseball hat, MU shirt and put my hair in pigtails. Turned out pretty well, but I don't think people got it. This year for princess, I was thinking of dressing as either the haunted mansion maid or the portrait girl. Still deciding.

I typically just run in the event shirts they give us to help me differentiate which race I'm doing for pictures and such. But for the Walt Disney World Marathon and Star Wars Half Marathon earlier this year, I decided to give running in costume a try.

For the WDW Marathon, I dressed as Mickey Mouse:

MickeyMarathon.jpg
Black shirt, red pants, yellow shoes, ears hat and white glove. I spray painted some park buttons yellow and attached them to my belt loops. I loved hearing the reaction of people watching the race when I went by, especially the kids, when they recognized that Mickey Mouse was running. The only negative I had with this was absentmindedly taking the ice water-soaked towel at ESPN Wide World of Sports in my cotton-gloved hand. Thing stayed soaked the rest of the run.

For the Star Wars Half, I was Darth Mickey:

VaderHalf.jpg

Vader Halloween costume (with cape) bought at Target, black shorts, Mickey Vader helmet from the parks and a Mickey "light saber." Wasn't too bad to run in though the outer shell of the helmet rattled with each step.

I don't have anything planned for this year's Disneyland Half, probably just the event shirt like usual. For the Avengers Half, I'm dressing as Captain America. Dark blue shorts, a Captain America shirt, red shoes and socks to resemble boots and I'm painting an 'A' and wings on a baseball cap to look like the top of his mask. I haven't decided on the next Star Wars Half. Maybe re-use the Darth shirt (probably with a Vader-decorated baseball cap) or something similar with a Boba Fett costume shirt. I'll see.

I'm always impressed with the quality and quantity of costumed runners. It definitely makes it a lot of fun participating at a runDisney event rather than a standard run.

I love all the ideas here! For my past runs I just wore black shirts/Minnie run skirt and black running tights. I fractured six ribs and wasn't able to run for a while. When I started running again, I ran the jingle jungle in a Monsters University inspired cheerleader outfit. I had a blue and white tutu, MU baseball hat, MU shirt and put my hair in pigtails. Turned out pretty well, but I don't think people got it. This year for princess, I was thinking of dressing as either the haunted mansion maid or the portrait girl. Still deciding.
I love the MU cheerleader outfit! That sounds so cute. And my vote is for the tightrope girl. My sister was *almost* that for one of our races but at the last minute switched to Tinker Bell, but for a long time I was pumped thinking I was going to see the portrait girl come to life!

I typically just run in the event shirts they give us to help me differentiate which race I'm doing for pictures and such. But for the Walt Disney World Marathon and Star Wars Half Marathon earlier this year, I decided to give running in costume a try.

For the WDW Marathon, I dressed as Mickey Mouse:

View attachment 113629
Black shirt, red pants, yellow shoes, ears hat and white glove. I spray painted some park buttons yellow and attached them to my belt loops. I loved hearing the reaction of people watching the race when I went by, especially the kids, when they recognized that Mickey Mouse was running. The only negative I had with this was absentmindedly taking the ice water-soaked towel at ESPN Wide World of Sports in my cotton-gloved hand. Thing stayed soaked the rest of the run.

For the Star Wars Half, I was Darth Mickey:

View attachment 113631

Vader Halloween costume (with cape) bought at Target, black shorts, Mickey Vader helmet from the parks and a Mickey "light saber." Wasn't too bad to run in though the outer shell of the helmet rattled with each step.

I don't have anything planned for this year's Disneyland Half, probably just the event shirt like usual. For the Avengers Half, I'm dressing as Captain America. Dark blue shorts, a Captain America shirt, red shoes and socks to resemble boots and I'm painting an 'A' and wings on a baseball cap to look like the top of his mask. I haven't decided on the next Star Wars Half. Maybe re-use the Darth shirt (probably with a Vader-decorated baseball cap) or something similar with a Boba Fett costume shirt. I'll see.

I'm always impressed with the quality and quantity of costumed runners. It definitely makes it a lot of fun participating at a runDisney event rather than a standard run.
It's pretty fantastic that you even had Mickey's yellow shoes! It seems like a lot of y'all are fine wearing black for your costumes. Doesn't it get hot?! That's been the biggest thing for me to never even consider it- I always thought it'd get too warm.

I just bought my shirt for the Disney Marathon weekend 5k in Epcot. I saw it on the disneystore website and it made my mind up.
It's future world Minnie from way back when I first went to Epcot in the 80's! One of my fave pics as a kid is me and my sister with the fab five all dressed in their silver rainbow futuristic space gear.
I am going to wear it with a silver sparkle skirt. And I already had sparkly wristbands. And I'll hack some mickey headband ears (probably find some sparkly silver ones and add on some kind of bow.) If I can get sparkly leg warmers or some kind of silver legging situation it would be even better. I think at least people in my age range and older will "get" who I'm supposed to be.
And I hope I look good next to the big "golf ball" during mile 3!

If anyone wants one of these shirts for whatever reason they are on the disneystore site (mickey version too) for limited time. Code PARKFREE gets free shipping on park items today.
http://www.disneystore.com/minnie-m...men-epcot-limited-release/mp/1384622/1000228/

ec69153f1af99657960a94280a091c29.jpg

Attachments

• epcotminnie.jpg
    epcotminnie.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter