Running in the Mitten & Beyond!

Sounds like a fun festival. We have similar ones around here but they are always in the summer when it is too hot. I think I would prefer a winter one.

Yes, we have summer ones here too, but none of them are as big as this one. I think it's part of the experience to deal with the elements in winter, plus it is entertaining to people watch - people wear some fun and outrageous outfits to keep warm!

I love your hat!
I forgot to comment on Instagram that I loved your hat!
That hat is EVERYTHING! You look adorable.

Thanks! Everyone kept asking me if I made the hat. No, I'm not that crafty, I just support crafty people on Etsy. :-)

Week 8 Training Update

Michigan Winter Beer Festival

Saturday afternoon DH & I along with 3 other couples went to Beerfest. This is the 5th year in a row we've attended and it's always a good time. There were over 100 breweries represented from all over the state. This is an outdoor festival in February, so weather can be interesting, but it's all part of the experience. We arrange transportation so no one has to drive and we all can let loose. I donned my "Hoppy Hat" and did my best to sample as many beers as I could!
View attachment 384651 View attachment 384649 View attachment 384650 View attachment 384647

It did rain off & on, but honestly we were feeling so good we weren't bothered by it. Every year I swear I'm going to write down the beers that I loved so that I can remember them, but every year I forget. My friends & I look forward to this day every year. It's always so much fun and this year didn't disappoint.

While I have not been to the winter beer fest since having kids, I think it was always a great fest, and a different crowd than summer, fall or the UP fest. I was always happy for the winter warmers as it is a nice change of pace from the overly hoppy IPAs!

Winter Trail Fest 5 Miler

After being sick for a few days, I was so glad I was feeling better by Friday so that I could run this race on Saturday. It was so much fun!! This is the 3rd year of the event and the first year that they added a 5 mile option (normally just a half). My friend & I were originally considering doing the half, but realized we are not ready for a trail half yet, especially one in snow, so we were pretty happy they added the 5 mile option.

The race venue is Yankee Springs State Recreation Area, which is about a 50 minute drive from my house. It was a noon start, so there was no rush to get up early. It snowed 3 to 4 inches over the last couple of nights, so we had a nice soft snow pack on the trails. The temp was around 30 degrees which felt really warm once we got moving.

The first half mile is on campground roads, which is nice because it helped with course crowding.
CF581B42-13C1-4EE4-9E97-D65DB303350C.jpeg

The last half of that first mile was a little too crowded on the single track trail, but I didn't really mind, I didn't care about pace with this race.
98811E8A-9CBE-450B-819F-18DBB9047DE1.jpeg

It was so pretty in the woods with the fresh snow and the sun peaking out at times. We passed a lake where we saw many people out ice fishing.
2456675F-A9CF-4FE6-943B-946B25D3CC42.jpeg

This course wasn't as hilly as my previous two trail races, but there was one monster steep hill on mile 3. I laughed out loud when I saw this sign at the top of the hill!! My sentiments exactly.
17E993CE-33C4-4452-AC0F-6886E9134911.jpeg

So the highlight of this race is the water crossing at 4.5 miles. You do have the option of running an extra .30 miles to go around it, but we thought W T F - YOLO! I do have video of me crossing it, which if you've friended me on Instagram (@sharonschmuker) then you've already seen it, but I'm having trouble posting it here, so here is a pic of me right after I ran through the knee deep water! Needless to say, it was COLD!!
C3D829B2-0E6E-4FD3-8CDB-206262AA9C2F.jpeg

I was so glad there was only a half mile left to run after that. My feet were so heavy & wet! We made sure to pack extra socks & shoes for the ride home.

The finisher medal is probably my all time favorite. We also go a nice fuzzy sweatshirt.
23F94917-6826-4B9B-8D5C-C3DBA6AF819C.jpeg 23F812A5-7825-4242-8535-2B97E18C82BD.jpeg

So here's the kicker: I just found out today that I was 3rd place in my age group!!! Granted, there were only ten people in my age group, but I'll take it! I'm really bummed I didn't know this yesterday or I would've stuck around for awards. I think the award was a W T F beanie hat. I've reached out to them to see if I can still claim it somehow.

D30E1CE5-467B-4818-8CB0-781B90173838.jpeg

Overall a very well-run and super fun race. I would definitely do it again.

Congrats on such a good finish! It looks like a fun race, since you know it's going to be cold and snowy.

I hadn't even though about what the acronym for Winter Trail Fest would be until your medal scrolled up on my reader...I did LOL at that one. Great medal, and good to see that the race has a good sense of humor about it.

That really looked like a lot of fun! Your face in the picture after you crossed says it all! It looks like Star Wars is going to be a tad bit different weather than what you guys are experiencing right now.

I read this right after checking the weather and exclaiming winter trail fest.... or it’s abbreviated form, and now I think if people are willing and able and safe crossing a freezing stream, maybe I need to suck it up and go out in the dry single digits. Way to go on a uniquely challenging course!

I hadn't even though about what the acronym for Winter Trail Fest would be until your medal scrolled up on my reader...I did LOL at that one. Great medal, and good to see that the race has a good sense of humor about it.

They had a great sense of humor. We even had Win Triumph Finish on our bibs.

*** is right! Very neat run!
Very cool run. Literally.

I saw that water crossing on Instagram and agree...***!

Yes, I mumbled that acronym a few times along the course! :D

That really looked like a lot of fun! Your face in the picture after you crossed says it all! It looks like Star Wars is going to be a tad bit different weather than what you guys are experiencing right now.

I know, my friend was cracking up at the expression on my face! I am really looking forward to running in shorts for Star Wars...4 more weeks!!

Congrats! Great medal and sweatshirt.

Thanks! It might be my favorite medal ever.

I read this right after checking the weather and exclaiming winter trail fest.... or it’s abbreviated form, and now I think if people are willing and able and safe crossing a freezing stream, maybe I need to suck it up and go out in the dry single digits. Way to go on a uniquely challenging course!

Thanks! We've got to embrace these harsh Michigan winters or we'll never survive. :crazy2:

OMG! That water must have been so cold (also saw on instagram!! Congrats on placing!

OMG yes, it was like when you get brain freeze only in my leg bones.

That race would have been a nope for me, you are amazing! Congrats on placing, that is awesome!!

Thanks! I'm still shocked I placed - maybe all of the fast people were scared off by the snow. :P

I just realized I never did a Week 9 Update. Not much to report. I came down with a stupid head cold last week Sunday and missed Tues & Wed runs. All I wanted to do was sleep.

Monday: Nothing
Tuesday: Nothing
Wednesday: Nothing
Thursday: Yoga (60 min) - doing yoga with a runny nose is an interesting experience.
Friday: Elliptical (45 min)
Saturday: Winter Trail Fest 5 Miles
Sunday: Supposed to be 6.5 miles, but I only did 4 miles because I ran out of time (busy day).

So not the greatest training week. I had a good run going without any missed runs, but missed runs are bound to happen in every training plan I guess.

And...
F1B26105-0891-49FF-8043-B6075C52B075.jpeg

That race looks so fun, and I am so impressed that you went through the water! My feet are freezing just thinking about that.

I ordered this Rebel Pilot tank for either the 10K or the Half. I'll probably pair it with an orange sparkle skirt.

I went back a few pages and saw this - I love this idea. I decided to have my own mini-droid challenge - I'm going to be R2D2 for the 10k and BB-8 for the half, but this tank is adorable!

I went back a few pages and saw this - I love this idea. I decided to have my own mini-droid challenge - I'm going to be R2D2 for the 10k and BB-8 for the half, but this tank is adorable!

I love the droid challenge idea! I'm working on a Chewbacca outfit - the tank should arrive in the mail tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get it all put together. :chewy:

Week 10 Training & Life Updates

Monday
Lunchtime walk (20 min)
Gentle Yoga (20 min)

My daughter started the Girls on the Run today. This is the first year she has been interested and I'm so excited! They practice on Mondays & Wednesdays after school for the next several weeks and then on May 18th, they run a 5K with all of the other GOTR kids from all over the county. I'll be helping as a parent volunteer every other week.

Tuesday
Run 3 miles @ EA - treadmill
Yoga (20 min)

Wednesday
Run 6 miles @ EB - treadmill

Look what came in the mail today!!!
3B68D197-E215-4EE8-A8B3-5C2384EDD1F4.jpeg
We leave in 3 weeks!!!

Thursday
Lunchtime walk (30 min)
Yoga (60 min)

Friday
Elliptical (40 min)

After work, my coworkers & I went out for happy hour and dinner, and then we went to see another coworker in a local production of Mamma Mia (she played Tanya). It was fantastic! We had a blast and it was a perfect way to celebrate International Women's Day.
A83ECC27-7630-4BB2-85C4-3621AD24A6FF.jpeg

Saturday
So I was supposed to run 3 miles, but instead I took my daughter skiing for a few hours. We figured with warmer weather and rain coming, we thought we would get one more day in on the slopes. Now if I hadn't stayed out so late the night before, I could have gotten that 3 mile run in before we went skiing, but...oh well.

Sunday
Run 6 miles @ EB + strides - treadmill - I really wanted to run outside with temps in the mid 30's, but it was very windy with 40mph gusts, so back to the treadmill again.

I really hate time changes. It's screwing up everyone's schedule.:sad2:

25ECE75B-547F-4E9C-91B5-767DA232228E.jpeg

I guess the only good thing about the time change is that spring is near. We are supposed to have some very spring-like weather coming in the next several days, so I am very much looking forward to the snow melt and running outside. :flower2:

Sunday
Run 6 miles @ EB + strides - treadmill - I really wanted to run outside with temps in the mid 30's, but it was very windy with 40mph gusts, so back to the treadmill again.

I really hate time changes. It's screwing up everyone's schedule.:sad2:

View attachment 387572

I guess the only good thing about the time change is that spring is near. We are supposed to have some very spring-like weather coming in the next several days, so I am very much looking forward to the snow melt and running outside. :flower2:

I ran outside on Sunday--it wasn't too bad. Only a few times that I felt "stood up" by the wind. As for the DST/dog thing, yup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter