Running the Half marathon during WDW marathon weekend ...what should my park schedule be?

mckay94

Earning My Ears
So my mom and I are running the half marathon during marathon weekend at WDW and we are trying to plan our trip around the race in the best way possible. Here's what we were thinking so far:

Friday- Fly in around 11 am, spend the day at expo & Disney Springs (ah still wanna say downtown Disney!) and just take it easy
Saturday- Race day! get up and run the race at 5:30. I'm guessing well be done and back at our hotel by maybe 10-10:30 at latest for shower and rest, then I was thinking Epcot would be our best bet since its a little bit more lad back/not many lines to stand in although MK is open till 11 while Epcot is only open till
Sunday- Hollywood Studios (AM-EMH 8am-7pm)
Monday- MK (hours: 9am-8pm)
Tuesday- A day at Universal
Wednesday- Departure day:( Our flight is for 5!

*(so far we all do not seem interested in Animal Kingdom, although, neither of us have been)*

My biggest frustration is the lack of magic hours offered during this weekend! With the exception of Friday and Saturday, MK closes at 8. So sucky I know! I'm used to always planning my trip around the park hours (who doesn't?!) to get the most out of my time and money!

But here's my question for you guys: Does the schedule above seem about right when getting the most out of my money? Am I trying to do too much? Should I get a park hopper to hop between MK and Epcot saturday or will I be too exhausted? I do tend to run myself into the ground while at Disney but I'm not much into relaxing as I get bored and want to go go go. Opinions and advice are GREATLY appreciated!

Have you done a half marathon before? If so, what is your usual routine after a race?

I get trying to do everything - you're at Disney! - but there is a point where you can really do too much if you're not prepared for it.

My friend and I found a day at AK to be a PERFECT way to walk off the W&D half. Though that half was at night, we soaked our legs in epsom salts, slept, woke, and then hit AK. So now AK feels perfect to do after a Half IMO.

Have you done a half marathon before? If so, what is your usual routine after a race?

I get trying to do everything - you're at Disney! - but there is a point where you can really do too much if you're not prepared for it.

This will be my first half -and race for that matter of fact- ever. I am running a 5k this Saturday but that's the farthest I've gone so far! And your right, I guess I will just have to chill out for once and go with the flow!
Its silly how hard that is for me, especially at WDW haha!!

You're young - you should be fine. Just make sure that your training plan get you ready for the run distance. Even if your legs are sore, it won't be "injury", so you can move as much as your tolerance for pain allows after the race.

This will be my first half -and race for that matter of fact- ever. I am running a 5k this Saturday but that's the farthest I've gone so far! And your right, I guess I will just have to chill out for once and go with the flow!
Its silly how hard that is for me, especially at WDW haha!!

Well - you just never know how far adrenaline will take you! I would agree with taking it easy on Friday. On Saturday, just listen to your body.

Personally - I roll straight from races into having fun (yes, I stay stinky) because the minute I take a shower, I'm down for the count for AT LEAST three hours. Ain't nobody got time for that!! I'm doing Dopey this marathon weekend, but we're doing a "big" champagne brunch at Chefs de France and a couple hours in EPCOT after the half - because that's the first race my out-of-town BFFs will be here for.

As far as picking parks, I'm assuming you're going to want to get some pictures with your awesome bling to celebrate your accomplishment? For your first half, I would probably pick your favorite restaurant for a celebratory brunch and your favorite park for some pictures and your favorite couple of rides -- after that, just listen to you body (and your legs!!) and see how much it wants to do that day. Don't jeopardize the rest of your trip to try to pack a whole bunch more time on your feet directly after running 13 miles.

But what @BuckeyeBama said - stick to your training and you'll be good! Maybe make sure you add a couple of extra walking days around your last long runs just to get a feel for how it's going to go.

Thanks for the responses, you guys are awesome!

I think I made the right choice by having a chill Friday and an Epcot Saturday where we can wander and eat and drink after our run, and a celebratory brunch sounds like an awesome idea! Definitely going to have to plan one of those since this will be our first big race ever!

So my mom and I are running the half marathon during marathon weekend at WDW and we are trying to plan our trip around the race in the best way possible. Here's what we were thinking so far:

Friday- Fly in around 11 am, spend the day at expo & Disney Springs (ah still wanna say downtown Disney!) and just take it easy
Saturday- Race day! get up and run the race at 5:30. I'm guessing well be done and back at our hotel by maybe 10-10:30 at latest for shower and rest, then I was thinking Epcot would be our best bet since its a little bit more lad back/not many lines to stand in although MK is open till 11 while Epcot is only open till
Sunday- Hollywood Studios (AM-EMH 8am-7pm)
Monday- MK (hours: 9am-8pm)
Tuesday- A day at Universal
Wednesday- Departure day:( Our flight is for 5!

*(so far we all do not seem interested in Animal Kingdom, although, neither of us have been)*

My biggest frustration is the lack of magic hours offered during this weekend! With the exception of Friday and Saturday, MK closes at 8. So sucky I know! I'm used to always planning my trip around the park hours (who doesn't?!) to get the most out of my time and money!

But here's my question for you guys: Does the schedule above seem about right when getting the most out of my money? Am I trying to do too much? Should I get a park hopper to hop between MK and Epcot saturday or will I be too exhausted? I do tend to run myself into the ground while at Disney but I'm not much into relaxing as I get bored and want to go go go. Opinions and advice are GREATLY appreciated!

A couple quick thoughts. Your Friday sounds good. You probably want to figure out dinner ahead of time based on whatever your typical pre-race meal is. I don't know if that means a reservation at DTD or a resort or somewhere else, but you'll need to budget time for that.

Saturday- I always feel a little bit slower after a race. Epcot may not have a lot of lines, but it is a lot of walking if you're heading around world showcase. I'm not advising you to go somewhere else, just be prepared to want to rest for an hour or two when you get back from the race (you'll have been up since 2:30 in the morning and run a half marathon) and to not want to walk as much as you typically do. Also all stairs will suddenly assume super villain status.

Sunday There is a lot under renovation at Studios. I am not sure what you like to do there but based on it's current setup you might want a park hopper that day.

Sunday There is a lot under renovation at Studios. I am not sure what you like to do there but based on it's current setup you might want a park hopper that day.

oh no I totally forgot about HS and the changes its going through, I am so glad you mentioned that!

Now when you add the park hopper option to your tickets, is it for the whole trip you have them or just one day? The park hopper option is looking better and better as time goes on.

oh no I totally forgot about HS and the changes its going through, I am so glad you mentioned that!

Now when you add the park hopper option to your tickets, is it for the whole trip you have them or just one day? The park hopper option is looking better and better as time goes on.
It's for the whole trip which is the only potential issue.

The only thing I can add is that I find walking in a park after a race good. Keeping moving helps not be as stiff, so I think going to Epcot after the 1/2 sounds like a good idea, you can take it slow and easy and you won't have hard to get in rides like space mountain that can be a little tougher on tired legs getting in and out of. And as said above definitely have your medal to wear in the parks for bling photos!

Definitely go to DHS on Sunday. You'll be able to cheer on everyone running the marathon. :)

Definitely go to DHS on Sunday. You'll be able to cheer on everyone running the marathon. :)
Doesn't that depend on the course. Most likely we'll be in Studios after the park open though, and we'll have to go out near the front to get to the path to boardwalk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter