Running with a mask

I’ve been running with my buff, and using it only when in situations where I pass by someone and can’t get across the street (which is rare). A few nearby towns have started requiring masks for all outdoors, so if that happens I’ll need to experiment with the buff vs cloth mask. The weather is starting to warm up, so the buff is getting a little warm.

In Nevada we are not REQUIRED to wear masks anywhere...yet.
I will never wear one regardless of the mandate.
Seriously, fine me for not wearing a mask while running alone!?
This is simply about control. The powers that be will keep pushing until pushed back.

It was 95 degrees today and supposed to be 103 tomorrow.
The great thing about the weather here is that sweating actually cools you, so running today at 95 degrees wasn't that bad.

I have on a couple of the most recent occasions when I am out on the trail. One of the masks I have is kind of loose on the sides, so it is easier to breathe. I do intervals at 15/45 so I walk fast more than I run. When I did the 5k on Sunday however, I only carried a mask to put on if needed.

I’ve been running with my buff, and using it only when in situations where I pass by someone and can’t get across the street (which is rare). A few nearby towns have started requiring masks for all outdoors, so if that happens I’ll need to experiment with the buff vs cloth mask. The weather is starting to warm up, so the buff is getting a little warm.
Thank you for sharing, I am waiting to see what other areas are doing regarding this. I used to run a rail trail, hardly anyone was on it. Once quarantine came about everyone in town was on that trail. I spoke with the park ranger who was closing the gates one day and said, we have to close this because social distancing can't be followed. People were bringing Starbucks and meeting in small groups. He said it's unfortunate for the few runners, walkers and bikers who used it for the proper purpose long before this happened and because people are not taking this seriously you will see orders for masks, which is unfair.

In Nevada we are not REQUIRED to wear masks anywhere...yet.
I will never wear one regardless of the mandate.
Seriously, fine me for not wearing a mask while running alone!?
This is simply about control. The powers that be will keep pushing until pushed back.

It was 95 degrees today and supposed to be 103 tomorrow.
The great thing about the weather here is that sweating actually cools you, so running today at 95 degrees wasn't that bad.
I agree 100 percent about the control.

I have on a couple of the most recent occasions when I am out on the trail. One of the masks I have is kind of loose on the sides, so it is easier to breathe. I do intervals at 15/45 so I walk fast more than I run. When I did the 5k on Sunday however, I only carried a mask to put on if needed.
@doombuggy did you do a 5k on your own or was it an organized event? All events here have been cancelled as groups of no more than 5 are permitted together, races have been cancelled through June.

No way could I run with a mask here in central FL. I have a horse farm and use them when I'm working in the barn and they get wet, gross and hard to breath in real fast with the humidity here. I live in a very rural area and rarely see anyone when I run in the morning. On Saturday it is busier with bike riders and a handful of other runners so I just try and keep a wide berth around them.
Fellow central Floridian here .... required to wear one at work and with humidity at 40%-50% this week it’s been mildly uncomfortable doing the outdoor portions of my job let alone when humidity gets up to 80-90% in the heat of the summer

RunDisney needs to clarify, if they can, whether masks will be required before the pending race registrations.
That kind of information is very pertinent for those of us considering to race.

Also in NYC. I've also heard conflicting info on this topic and I have to be honest, I don't wear a mask when I run because it's too hard to breathe - I try my best to stay as far away from others as possible when I run the residential streets, quite frankly no one tries that hard to stay away from me when they see me barreling down the sidewalk and they won't move from walking in the MIDDLE of it, so I try to dodge them and jog in the street if there are no cars coming. So even with every precaution in place we can't be perfect 100% of the time. It probably sounds (and definitely feels) a little selfish and I'd be open to tips on how to better run with some kind of face covering without suffocating.

Its far to early to know if a mask will be required for a race in January. I would assume if one is the race wouldn't be held anyways.
This has been the consensus if large groups cannot gather and social distancing cannot be maintained the races here have been cancelled, those scheduled months out have not been given any protocols or been cancelled yet, Chicago, NY, MCM, etc.

Also in NYC. I've also heard conflicting info on this topic and I have to be honest, I don't wear a mask when I run because it's too hard to breathe - I try my best to stay as far away from others as possible when I run the residential streets, quite frankly no one tries that hard to stay away from me when they see me barreling down the sidewalk and they won't move from walking in the MIDDLE of it, so I try to dodge them and jog in the street if there are no cars coming. So even with every precaution in place we can't be perfect 100% of the time. It probably sounds (and definitely feels) a little selfish and I'd be open to tips on how to better run with some kind of face covering without suffocating.
This was the purpose of the post, I find wearing one gets difficult to breathe in just a short period of time while out in public. I don't run with a mask. If needed, I'm opting to a previous posters idea of a band I can pull over mouth if needed. But if there is a breathable one out there that one may suggest, I would gladly take that suggestion.

"But if there is a breathable one out there that one may suggest, I would gladly take that suggestion. "
That is very reasonable for runners to desire.
However, therein lies the rub... from the CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/pdfs/UnderstandDifferenceInfographic-508.pdf
An N95 NIOSH respirator (mask) filters out at least 95% of airborne particles including large and small particles .

A surgical mask or other facial covering does NOT provide the wearer with a reliable level of protection from inhaling smaller airborne particles and is not considered respiratory protection.

Not to mention fit testing (you better shave!), leakage, etc.

Unfortunately wearing a "mask" these days while running, in my opinion, is symbolism over substance.

I'm a nurse who wears them at work and they are not the best to breathe through when working, and I can't imagine it allowing enough oxygen exchange during hard aerobic exercise. Luckily we don't have to wear them outside yet, but I always try to run early and in quiet country lanes, but I appreciate that's not an option for everyone.

Not sure how feasible this is for you, but out here in California the official line is that "masks are not required while running, but runners are encouraged to carry one with them in case a mask is needed when it is not possible to practice distancing.

Not sure how feasible this is for you, but out here in California the official line is that "masks are not required while running, but runners are encouraged to carry one with them in case a mask is needed when it is not possible to practice distancing.
That’s what I’ve been doing. I have a cloth one, keep it around my wrist just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter