RV Heat Pump

2goofycampers

Sounds like something a camping trip could cure!
Has anyone turned their camper A/C into a heat pump? If so, was there a lot involved in doing so? If you had it done, how long did it take and what did it cost? Was it worth it?

Last edited:
Interesting idea. Looks like both Coleman and Dometic make units and prices are similar to AC units.

I have not. Heat pumps aren't very popular around here due to the extremes in seasons we get (-10 to 110)

Are you considering for the home or camper?

j

I have not. Heat pumps aren't very popular around here due to the extremes in seasons we get (-10 to 110)

Are you considering for the home or camper?

j
Camper, maybe winters in Florida after we retire.

Has anyone turned their A/C into a heat pump? If so, was there a lot involved in doing so? If you had it done, how long did it take and what did it cost? Was it worth it?

We HAD to have a heat pump (or else use expensive propane) until just a year ago when natural gas finally came and we bought a new NG unit.

We are finally warm in the winter. Will never go that route again. Over 35-40* you are fine - under that, not good! Units run and run, but can get only so much 'warm' air out of a frigid temp! Our utilities are much lower now also.

This obviously is residential - not sure from your post what you are asking about.

OK, just saw your above post - that would be fine for FL. Not sure about converting cost though.

My Aliner has a heat pump for its AC and heater. (Dometic Kool Kat or something like that - 11,000 BTU).

Of course, being a heat pump, it can only pull heat out of the air at ambient temps down to about 38F. Below that, it blows out cold.

At times like those, we use the electric blankets on the beds and ceramic heaters to augment the interior temps during our time awake at night before we turn in. Obviously my Aliner has a small enough interior volume to manage with these options.

In the Alabama summers the AC side does plenty fine. The way we camp in wintertime, we can manage.

Just depends on how you plan to camp (where, when, and what the temps are then, and how often it reaches those temps). It's not a solution that fits year round nearly anywhere in nearly all conditions. Just my .02.

Bama Ed

PS - I had a propane furnace in my old pup. The sound of the blower fan was enough to interrupt sleep. Yes, it kept us warm but it used the propane pretty quickly. It was only a spot solution.

PPS - if you were considering Orlando or further south for wintering in retirement, you might be fine with a heat pump as long as you manage the winter lows with temporary measures. I wouldn't use it as a primary heat source on the FL Panhandle in winter though.

Last edited:
Interesting idea, hadn't considered it. I like the drone of my blast furnace in my camper. Of course, it's at opposite end of camper from me and DW.

Right next to the kids room in the back.

When we camp in colder times I will save gas and run our electric heater with thermostat and let the fan from the AC unit run to circulate the heat. Set fan on the stove under the hood as heat protection measure should it fall over.

Heat camper on electricity and save the gas for cooking or really cold nights.

Denise, In our now gone HR we had Heat Pumps. As we have in the house as well we were prepared for it. For AC they are great, but, as others have said once outside goes below 35-38 range really doesn't work. At home electric heat function takes over in coach we had to switch to propane function. To make that reasonable we had a decorative electric space heater (Looks like a wood burning stove with glass to see flames). Added bonus, beyond ambiance was that WookieBear was starting to have problems with her hips (Onset of hip Dysplasia ) She would park her butt in front of the blower and had far easier time getting around
Now our Tiffin has a electric fireplace that we plan to use as primary heat source we'll likely bring that heater with us as a stand by or for use in bed room

heating with only electric heaters can cause freezing lines if it gets too cold, the furnace heats the basement and underbelly of our unit. I know this first hand, took a full day blasting the furnace to get the water lines fluid again.....love fall camping in northern illinois!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!