RVing to WDW

prattpak

DIS Dad #479
Has anyone RVed to WDW? Was looking at renting one next year or 2 and driving out and staying at Ft. Wilderness. Anyone done this? What are the spaces as far as cost? Ive heard of people decorating for halloween and Christmas. Its got to be fairly comparable with flying and staying at a value isnt it, as far as gas vs flight? TIA for the help!!

In-laws have done that in the past, but I don't know the specifics other than they love it. If you go to the FW resort thread you will get lots of info.

I soooooo want to do this! If y’all keep talking about it, you’re goin’a end up costing me some money.

:lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2:

My fam has 3 fw trips under out belt. First off, make your res early, you can book 500 days in advance, do it . Next read up on the camping forum on this site. There are many others who know more than I and are willing to help. My feeling if you are driving that far, spend the time there AKA 10 nights Min. This is not going to the park everyday. When I plan, we park everyother day to go two days, take an off day. Our last stay was 14 nights, it was just about right. The last few days, we just hung and relaxed as the parks were at max cap.(xmas-new years week)

halloween and christmas are great times. It will be a 3-4 day drive from CO.

Cost - campsites on way down and back, unless you stay at walmarts or other boondock sites. FW per night $60 off season and $125 prime season(christmas). Site - travel down/back 6 Nights Axp $200 @ FW peak times 10 nights $800 to $1300

Gas - 3100 miles round trip / 9 MPG = 344 gall of gas * $4 = $1377 (somethings wrong when cost more than the room)

Food - I budget $40 per day Fam of 5 - 17 days = $680. Then I throw in a $150 once or twice for character meals. We eat breakfast every day at camper. lunch are brown bag to park or we come back and eat at camper and nap. Then we eat dinner before we head back over for the evening.

This totals axp $3500 w/o RV cost.

RV Rental cost? Not sure on this - May want to see if you can borrow somebodies RV, then learn to use it over the next year or two. Maybe "rent" it from them for a few local trips.

It's a blast, something that rocks. The other option instead of using an RV is to camp in a tent - drive maybe only take 3 days / 2 nghts and or rent an RV in FL. Reducing gas cost and time from CO.

PM if you have any questions

Has anyone RVed to WDW? Was looking at renting one next year or 2 and driving out and staying at Ft. Wilderness. Anyone done this? What are the spaces as far as cost? Ive heard of people decorating for halloween and Christmas. Its got to be fairly comparable with flying and staying at a value isnt it, as far as gas vs flight? TIA for the help!!

I briefly looked into RV rental earlier this year. Bottom line was that flying and staying in a moderate was about the same price as RV rental + gas + campsite. The money advantage only kicks in if you already own the RV.

Does DisneyLAND have any RV location with walking distance? 1 mile or less? We know we are going to take an RV to cali to our cabin but we also thought about going to the Land while we were there too.

That sounds like a blast but RV rentals are SO expensive (at least in this part of the country). Cruise America is the biggest RV rental place in the country and they charge an arm and a leg. I've thought about tent camping there but if it's even a little bit hot/humid I think that would take a lot of the fun out of it.

We used to drive down from Michigan with our pop-up. We really, really love Ft Wilderness.

It is very rare to get a discount on the campsites, cost of gas rising, and family getting older .... it is more economical for us to fly, rent a car, and stay at a value resort.

I do try to get over to FW every trip to at least look around.

Agree that you should go to the camping section for advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter