RyMickey's Reviews - Pt 1 - HHI, Rainforest, LTT(lunch), & more

RyMickey

Disney Freak
RyMickey's Reviews - Part One - Hilton Head Island, Rainforest Cafe, Main Street Bakery, Liberty Tree lunch

Why is it that after a great 14 day long trip, you get home and suddenly get depressed that you have to go back into the workplace? I'm sure everyone feels this way, but now that I'm one week removed from our trip, I can't help but reminisce about our vacation.

In order to help me over this hump, it's time to start posting reviews!

This leg of reviews includes some Hilton Head reviews (in addition to Disney reviews) so that those staying at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort have an idea of some places to eat out.

Please note that while dining at Disney, we had the DDE card for a 20% discount.

Our party for this leg of the trip included 12 folks:
Me, DM (Dear Mom), DD (Dear Dad), DB1 (Dear Brother 1), DB2 (Dear Brother 2), DGM (Dear Grandmother), DA1 (Dear Aunt 1), DA2 (Dear Aunt 2), DU1 (Dear Uncle 1), DU2 (Dear Uncle 2), DC1 (Dear Cousin 1), DC2 (Dear Cousin 2) --- Confused yet? It won't be confusing, I promise!

Saturday, June 17

- Breakfast - Dunkin' Donuts -
Isn't this the review you've been waiting for? ;) Ate at home before we walked out the door at 8am. If anyone wants a more comprehensive review of Dunkin' Donuts, I will be happy to oblige. ;)

- Lunch - Picnic Lunch - Once again, I'm sure everyone is waiting with bated breath for this review, too. DGM brought lunchmeats and we ate at a rest stop. Better than McDonald's -- that's for sure!!!

- Dinner - Sonic - The whole drive down, DB1 was begging to eat at a Sonic. We don't have them at home. As we drove into Hilton Head Island, DA1 spotted a Sonic, and despite the fact that it was 10pm at night, we all drove over to Sonic and couldn't figure out how to order! Do you order in the car or what? It was really funny and Sonic was alright.

Sunday, June 18

- Breakfast - Holiday Inn Express -
This is gonna sound silly, but I can't recommend the Holiday Inn Express continental breakfast enough! They had waffles, french toast, cinnamon buns, bagels, OJ, milk, coffee, tea, cereals. It was the best free breakfast we ever had. If all Holiday Inn Expresses have this level of free breakfast, we'll be staying at Holiday Inn Expresses from here on out! Still, though, it was time to move onto Disney's HHI Resort!

- Dinner - Boathouse II -This restaurant was recommended by the front desk cast members after we checked in. It was Father's Day, so we wanted something good and substantial for dinner, but it didn't have to be fancy. The restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating, and we had hoped to sit outside, but they could not seat our large party there. Dinner was excellent. Food was great and much better than the overrated Old Oyster Factory on HHI. I'd be more than happy to provide a detailed review if there are any HHI visitors that would like to know more.

Monday, June 19-Tuesday, June 20

Ate in the room for all meals. Got to shop at a Piggly-Wiggly. Grocery shopping is so much more fun when you can shop at a place called Piggly-Wiggly!!! :thumbsup2

Wednesday, June 21 - On to Disney!!!!

- Dinner - Rainforest Café Downtown Disney -
We arrived at DTD around 4:30pm and we were all famished. It was time for dinner so we went over to the Rainforest Café which surprisingly wasn't crowded yet. We were seated shortly after we arrived thanks to our Rainforest Club card. Our family loves the Rainforest Café and we don't understand why it gets such bad reviews here on the boards. There were RAVES about the Tuscan Chicken and the Paradise Pot Roast - both were enjoyed by all who had them. The Rumble in the Jungle Wrap was good as well. Both DBs loved their large pizzas. Service was a little slow, but all in all, a good meal. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 (out of 4 :thumbsup2 )

Thursday, June 22

- Breakfast - Main Street Bakery -
It was our first time trying this. During EMH, there was no one there. My brothers and I chose a wide variety of items and carried them into Fantasyland to the tables by Dumbo. After riding Dumbo, everyone ate cinnamon buns, blueberry muffins, apple turnovers, chocolate croissants, french toast loafs, and fruit cups. The favorite was split between the cinnamon buns and french toast loafs. We will be going back here for sure! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 (out of 4 :thumbsup2 )

- Lunch - Liberty Tree Tavern - First time here for lunch and most of us loved it. DM had the Colony Salad with the famous raspberry vinagrette dressing (instead of the honey mustard it was supposed to come with). She raved -- it was her favorite meal all trip. DB1 and I had the William Penn Pasta and it was very good. Several folks had the Tri-Corner Sandwich and thought it was very good, but thought the bread was too thick. They made it an open-faced sandwich and all was fine. The Pot Roast was said to be good, as well. We splurged and had desserts - the Butter Grilled Pound Cake was WONDERFUL and the Caramel Apple Tart with cinnamon ice cream was great, too. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 (out of 4 :thumbsup2 )

- Dinner - Sassagoula (Port Orleans CS) - Dinner was fine, but nothing to write home about. Those who actually had meals (like roasted chicken and ribs) said they were surprisingly good. Many had chicken fingers which were fine. For drinks (in order to save some money), we bought 2-liter sodas, kept them in our room, and used the complimentary room coffee cups to bring drinks to dinner.
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 (out of 4 :thumbsup2 )

- Next set of reviews - Hoop-Dee-Doo, Hollywood and Vine (dinner), Big River Grill, Cinderella's Royal Table (lunch), ESPN Club

RyMickey said:

Our party for this leg of the trip included 12 folks:
Me, DM (Dear Mom), DD (Dear Dad), DB1 (Dear Brother 1), DB2 (Dear Brother 2), DGM (Dear Grandmother), DA1 (Dear Aunt 1), DA2 (Dear Aunt 2), DU1 (Dear Uncle 1), DU2 (Dear Uncle 2), DC1 (Dear Cousin 1), DC2 (Dear Cousin 2) --- Confused yet? It won't be confusing, I promise!

Sounds like our bunch!
Ate in the room for all meals. Got to shop at a Piggly-Wiggly. Grocery shopping is so much more fun when you can shop at a place called Piggly-Wiggly!!! :thumbsup2

Didn't realize we were so fortunate! "The Pig," as we fondly call it was the only grocery store in a town near enough to ours to shop. Kinda :blush: to admit that we don't even have a grocery store in our town, or for that matter our whole county. :rotfl2:
Looking forward to hearing more!

Quote Our party for this leg of the trip included 12 folks:

Sounds like our bunch!

Quote Ate in the room for all meals. Got to shop at a Piggly-Wiggly. Grocery shopping is so much more fun when you can shop at a place called Piggly-Wiggly!!! :thumbsup2

Didn't realize we were so fortunate! "The Pig," as we fondly call it was the only grocery store in a town near enough to ours to shop for years, there is also a Harveys now. Kinda :blush: to admit that we don't even have a grocery store in our town, or for that matter our whole county. :rotfl2:

Looking forward to hearing more!

Can't wait for the rest. Make sure you go into detail on CRT and Big River Grill, please.

Thanks so much for the Boathouse II review. What did you have to eat there? And the Dunkin Donuts-is there one on HHI? We used to live near lots of DD, and I miss them so much!

Nice to hear about LTT for lunch - we have ADRs and i don't hear too much about it.

Great news about the Holiday Inn Express! We are staying at them for the 3 nights down and back - looking forward to great breakfasts now!

I haven't been on here very long, so I haven't heard about the bad reviews of RainForest Cafe. we've ate there about 6 times and every time we loved it.the first time our youngest was 4 and was a little scared of the big elephants right behind us (which she kept a close eye on the the whole time we were there ) and my DMIL once complained about to much food ,if there is such a thing. but as for the gale family, we love it. :banana:

:joker: me
:bride: DW
pooh: DD-17
::MinnieMo DD-15
:tinker: DD13
:eeyore: DD9

Great reviews!! We have an ADR for LTT for lunch on our first day. I will definately be getting the Colony salad and the pound cake!! (I saw the pictures :teeth: ) Did you have an appy there?

Glad to hear a good review of RFC. DD really wants to go there and I do have an ADR for the one at AK but if the wait is a long time as some DISers have reported we may pass. I can't see waiting an hour or more when you have an ADR and I am not buying the Safari Pass just on principle. :joker: :joker:

Sorry for the delay in posting more of the reviews. It's been a busy week. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to post more and answer everyone's questions/comments on this thread.

Glad to see everyone's enjoying the reviews!

Simba's Mom said:
Thanks so much for the Boathouse II review. What did you have to eat there? And the Dunkin Donuts-is there one on HHI? We used to live near lots of DD, and I miss them so much!

Boathouse II in Hilton Head was wonderful. My mom had The Bonanza Seafood Southern Style which was lightly fried scallops, shrimp, and fish. She said it was great. I had the Low Country Crabcakes which were more like crab imperial that "Maryland-style" crab cakes (I realize they weren't advertised as that, but I was expecting something like that). Nevertheless, the crab cakes were great. They placed them over creamed corn, green beans, and fried carrots. It was incredibly tasty. Those that had the steaks thought they were very good as well. My dad had the special, but I can't remember what kind of fish it was. Still, he loved it.

We will definitely be going back to the Boathouse the next time we go to HHI.

As for the Dunkin' Donuts, we ate them at home, so I'm not sure if there are any on HHI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter