?'s about Roll In Rooms at AKL and Poly

autumnblue

DIS Veteran
I'm taking the deluxe plunge this next trip (I usually stay at the moderates) but I want to get the most bang for my buck. I currently have the Poly booked but I'm interested in AKL as well, unless some really great codes come out I will only be getting the standard view room. I'm wonder if anyone has ever stayed in one of the standard/garden view roll in shower rooms at these resorts. I don't want get there and have a nice view of a parking lot.

Also the Poly pool looks a bit small in pictures, I'm really doing a deluxe because I want a zero entry pool. Which of these two pools do you think is nicer and less crowded?

Thanks

Autumnblue

I can't use the pools so I haven't paid good attention to the zero entry at the Poly, but the one at AKL has a very large zero entry area. The only problem is that it's usually filled with children or adults laying on their backs, blocking any wheelchair entry. I do imagine though that anyone would move to allow you to use the pool. Perhaps someone in special services would be able to tell you the width of the entry area? AKL has wonderful, large and spacious bathrooms but the rooms themselves are smaller. I've always had a savannah view room but haven't been able to access the balcony with my chair. Once I'm in bed though, I can see out to the animal viewing areas. It's my favorite resort. :-) ---Kathy

From the layout at the Poly there are no rooms with parking lot views.

Also, the rooms at the Poly are about 100 sq ft larger than those at AKL.

HC rooms at the Poly are also in the furthest out building closest to the Trans & ticket center which I find to be a huge advantage.

Thanks for the input. Is the Poly pool small? Also can you take the water wheelcahir out on the beach?

Thanks

The zero-entry pool at AKL is awesome! The water wheelchairs there, I seem to recall, needed someone pushing them tho, which was fine for our DS, but not for everyone. Note that the rooms at AKL, tho awesome and beautifully decorated, are a bit smaller than other Deluxes, perhaps about the same size as those at the Moderates? AKL is still by far our favorite resort (esp Savannah view).

And yes, the Std view is the Parking Lot view.

Note also that the new SSR, a DVC resort, also has a zero-entry pool that looks gorgeous.

My son uses a manual wheelchair and cannot assist with transfers. The AKL is pretty tight in the standard size savannah view room . There is only one King sized bed and a chair that folds out into a single bed. When that bed is open it is hard to get on the balcony. The pool is fantastic. The pool chair has foot rests that cannot be swung out - at least the one we saw - and can only be used when the life guards are on. The first time we stayed there they had a recreation coordinator who suggested we use one of the medical wheelchairs you can reserve at the desk. We can use it to roll into the pool and back and forth to the room. The bathroom in the AKL is good the shower is not as large at the All Stars though. Also you can get good deals on prices at the AKL. You have to take a bus or drive to the parks. We love the hotel as well. We are staying here again this May.
The Poly is also great. The room is huge! My son always wants to go back there because of the ease of getting around. Nice bathroom. Again, we still find the rollins at the All Stars easier for us. The building are separate. So you have a long way to go to the main building and the pool. It is close to the entrance to the monorail. So we can just park the car and walk to the monorail for MK and EPCOT. The pool is also zero entry level. MOre crowded than AKL, our experience at least. Beautiful hotel. Can roll out to watch the Water Parade each night on the beach. Can watch fireworks from MK. More expensive than the AKL. HOpe this helps.Have fun.

Wow, now I want to take DS to the Poly even more.

Now how to come up with some excuse to go down again and stay that the Poly?:scratchin

Both of the descriptions make me want to go back to WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter