S/O Fair food - Last time you went to a county fair?

Lots of fairs near me like "Great Allentown Fair" - went a few years back and saw John Mayer, we also have "Mayfair", sometimes they are a fest like "Musikfest", we used to used to call them feasts in NY like "San Gennaro" or there was also the "Greek Festival" that every borough used to have, lots of names but the same thing. Never had funnel cake until I moved to Pa and it always struck me as a flat zeppole from San Gennaro, but my all time favorite is the seasoned Aww Shucks corn. Discovered that if you roll corn in butter then McCormick's chipotle seasoning with some parmesan you have a close copy... think that might be part of dinner ; )

Probably 10 years or so. There are quite a few other events at the country fairgrounds I got to throughout the year but the actual county fair isn't really my thing.

San Antonio/Bexar County doesn't have a county fair. Instead we have the Stock Show and Rodeo, as well as Fiesta every year...well, no Fiesta this year.
I went to the Fiesta carnival with my son a year or two ago. It was the first time I had ever been.
The last true county fair I remember going to was the Shasta County fair in 1988, and I went regularly before then.

We usually end up buying showbags (are they a thing at US fairs?)
I googled to see what you were talking about. I don't think we have them here, at least I've never seen anything like that at my fair.
It's been 20 years, maybe a bit longer. I had to go for work for quite a few years, I haven't wanted to go since I was about 7. The state fair where I grew up was like a Deliverance cast reunion. :eek:
It's funny, my town is a bit of an ag area, but out and about you rarely see people in western wear. At the fair, though, seems like almost everyone is in wranglers and cowboy boots 🤣
but my all time favorite is the seasoned Aww Shucks corn. Discovered that if you roll corn in butter then McCormick's chipotle seasoning with some parmesan you have a close copy... think that might be part of dinner ; )
That sounds yummy!

2 summers ago. We usually go to our local 4-H fair, the Ionia Free Fair and the Clare County Fair. We enjoy the animals, exhibits, walking through the midway, riding a ride or two, and the food. Also an occasional concert at the Clare fair.

Last year we missed them all for one reason or another. This year they were all cancelled. Hope to go to them next year, and will never again take going to a fair for granted.

Last time i went to a fair was probably 4-5 years ago. Tickets are so expensive like $50 for a wristband or $1 per ticket and each ride cost at least 4 tickets so DD either rides alone or its 8 tickets per ride for one of us to ride with her. plus food is expensive.

I will say i am very frugal on my everyday life when disney is not involved. will I pay $4 for a churro at DL? Yes ill take 3. Will I pay $3 for a churro at a fair? are you crazy no way. lol

our county has been having a funnel cake fair stand at place they normally have the fair. It is drive up and cost us $10 for one funnel cake

I don’t know if the county I grew up in even had a fair. I kind of doubt it. The neighboring county did though, which I learned about when my high school dance team was invited to perform. I think we did that my junior and senior years, so I went twice, I guess? It was not an impressive event by any means. I moved to another county in the state and if they had a county fair, I never heard a thing about it during the 20 years I lived there. They did have the Renaissance Festival though, which is kind of a big deal in Maryland. I went to that twice and never figured out the appeal. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter