• No Pool at my kid(s) high school

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • Other (just because)

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters

soccerdad72

DIS Veteran
Sorry - couldn't help myself with a spin-off. :teeth:

On the thread about HS sports at everyone's HS, many mentioned swimming and water polo and either having or not having a pool. I was curious how common pools were at various high schools. I know that the school I went to (fairly small Catholic school) didn't have a pool, but we did have a swim team (no diving or water polo). We borrowed a local public school pool evenings during the week and obviously never had a 'home' meet, but we managed.

My son's Catholic HS (also fairly small - 700 students or so) also doesn't have a pool, but has a swimming and diving team. They use the local YMCA pool.

My younger son's grade school (independent private school) actually does have a pool that they use for all their PE classes and they even have a middle school swim team. When my older son started there in 3rd grade, that was a cool thing for him - to have swimming classes during the day. Of course, by the time they get to middle school, most kids hate doing swimming in the middle of the day (just like HS kids, I would assume?).

So, just curious - pool or no pool at your schools? :)

We had sister high schools. Out school district was large. One high school had a planetarium and the football field, mine had the swimming pool.

My kids' school does not.

I chose no pool at either my school or my kids' school, and then I also clicked "other", because these schools both do have swimming programs. They're just at the nearest community centre, instead of on the school campus.

There are public pools all over my city, and most high schools use them. It doesn't make sense to have a pool on site, when there's already one nearby.

We have pools around here most high school do in our area. Our city is in the process of building a new center with pool-an "aquadtis center" that both high Schools will move to. The pools at our schools need lots of expensive repairs

We have pools around here most high school do in our area. Our city is in the process of building a new center with pool-an "aquadtis center" that both high Schools will move to. The pools at our schools need lots of expensive repairs

I think that's becoming the trend (e.g. schools working with the cities to use pools at the new aquatic centers). I know a couple nearby school districts opened new rec center / aquatic centers in the past couple years and the local high schools have begun using those for their swim teams. I think a number of those schools had pools at their high schools, but since many of them are pretty old, maintaining and repairing them has just gotten too expensive.

The one complaint of one of the newest pool complexes near us was that the pool was designed almost exclusively for competitive swimming, therefore not making it very family-friendly, meaning it's too deep for smaller kids to play in.

Canadian here. I voted No on both counts. However, my pubic elementary did when it was built in 1966, to replace the original (No Pool) that was destroyed by fire. I don't believe the schools here in Niagara Area of Ontario do. But, I believe Toronto Area may have.

No pool at my HS. The swim team used some private indoor facility. I believe winter was the season for the swim team.

No football field either. We shared the stadium which was located at the other HS in town. My graduation was also at this other HS's football field.

I went to 2 different high schools. The huge one in Georgia had one but the small-town one in Ohio did not. My son's, also in a small town, does.

I grew up in San Jose, CA. All the high schools had pools or at least the majority. The pools were open to the public in the summer and that's where we spent just about every afternoon.

Raised my oldest in Reno, Nevada, no pools at the high schools, the swim kids used the city pools.

Currently living in Central Texas (Austin suburb) schools don't have pools. The school teams use either the community/park or city pools.

It is so strange to me to hear that so many high schools don't have pools! Mine as well as all others around me have pools. My high school actually had an old abandoned one in the basement we took tours of, and then the new one that was used upstairs. It actually broke the winter of my senior year and flooded part of the first floor haha.

My small high school in rural New York did. Swimming was one of our gym units in high school, and it was also where I had swimming lessons in in the summer when I was younger.

DS's huge high school in suburban Massachusetts does not.

Yes, mine did, which was highly unusual for a tiny (less than 500 students K-12) rural district. We were the only school in our conference (and the neighboring one) that had a pool.

Surprisingly, my kids high school, built brand new 16 years ago and in a district four times the size of the one I grew up in, does not have a pool.

Yes and no. There was/is an indoor pool literally right next door (from my assigned parking spot I could walk 25 feet and be inside), but it was neither Southeast High School's nor Springfield Public Schools' pool - it was the Springfield Park District's. Oddly enough, it was the only indoor pool in the district, and was only open during school hours and swim & dive meets. Go figure.

We were offered (not mandated) swimming/diving for PE, and I jumped on it. I always loved being in the water!

Edited to Add: Some previous posters have mentioned football stadiums. When I was in high school, all three of Springfield's public high schools played football at the same stadium, across town from where I went. However, the parents got sick of that and have since raised the money and built their own stadium.

Nope, no pool where I grew up, no pool in the district I live now. I would say most high schools in the region do not have pools. The few I know that do are private schools. The local HS does have a swim team now (for maybe the last 10-15 years?) and they use a municipal (indoor) pool in a neighboring town.

No pool but had swim teams and waterpolo. School just used the nearest city pool to practice, games etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter